DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC - EPISODE 3

RIPPA

I really enjoyed Santana/Piper. I've always liked Santana but she can sometimes be inconsistent. She was definitely "on" in this match though and she and Piper had some good chemistry.

I thought Sage and Bianca was a good showing for both, especially Bianca. This is the best I've seen her look yet. 

With more training, Kavita Devi is gonna be a problem. 

Storm/Raymond was just sort of there. Dakota/Devi was ok for what they were going for. Bianca's hair is ridiculous and distracting. She's almost stepping on it when she walks. Sage wasn't very impressive in this. Man Bianca did that spear head first. She'd get flagged and fined in the NFL for that. The Santana/Piper match was a testament to how good Piper is. Great bumping for someone her size, and great looking hurty offense. Santana held up her end, but to me that was the Piper Nevin show.

I am sure it has been said a thousand times today but how have we not seen a team of Toni Storm & Becky Lynch.  :D

I can't believe that Great Khali actually trained Kavita Devi.  I mean there are plenty of trainers who were average at best in the ring but this is the ultimate example of that if so

seriously did JR and Lita ever have a single conversation before doing these shows

that's a big fucking deadlift holy shit, I hope I can get to half of that some day. Ayesha Raymond seems like my shit. Toni Storm does not. That is the nicest summary I have.

HARD KD. HARD KD. HARD KD. HARD KD. HOLY SHIT. HARD KD. If Dakota Kai's gimmick is "EDM is my life" her kit is fucking nailing that. Kavita Devi is TOTALLY my shit, from the all orange gear (orange is my favorite color) to doing Power Mat Wrestling which is like both of my favorite things. The finish was kind of abrupt which bummed me out but holy crap I was way into that. At least they telegraphed the inexperience storyline. PLEASE HIRE HARD KD.

"I'm not a witch, I'm a shaman" is 100% in line with every occult person I've ever met and that's great. I was totally surprised to learn she's f.k.a. Rosie Lottalove after a google search but hey, life is long. I did not think particualrly much of Bianca Blair in that win-and-in match she had on that one NXT I saw. She seems like a really awesome athlete, and she could get there as a wrestler, but not yet.

If Santana Garret's gimmick is All The Dog Whistle Shit At The Same Time then she is maybe the best gimmick worker of the generation. If it's an accident that's really unfortunate. "I LOVE WONDER WOMAN BE YOURSELF AND YOU'LL BE SUCCESSFUL WHAT DO YOU MEAN PRIVILEDGE" Piper Niven's promo didn't necessarily suggest Djent but I guess that's all the music they had left in the bank. Piper's little faux punch at the start was great. Piper's Mike Knox Throwback Cross Body was even better. I wonder if he gets the credit for Big Wrestlers doing that that he deserves? Anyways, I'm glad at least one power wrestler made it through because holy shit.

Kavita looked pretty good, shoutout to the Great Khali's training! Felt like she dominated until Dakota hit the finishing shots, but great finish it was. Bianca BelAir is becoming one of my favs in this, she rules, glad to see her advance at least once. Always thought Santana Garrett was awesome everywhere she goes and shines whenever given the chance so I hoped she'd advance but good match regardless.

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

I am sure it has been said a thousand times today but how have we not seen a team of Toni Storm & Becky Lynch.  :D

I can't believe that Great Khali actually trained Kavita Devi.  I mean there are plenty of trainers who were average at best in the ring but this is the ultimate example of that if so

It's more like Khali's school and he brings in veterans who actually know what they're doing, like Ethan HD from the Pacific Northwest scene most recently, to actually train people.

Kavita... WOW!

That was a killer debut!She has p[resence and using her size effectively with some nifty lucha armdrags. I like she stauck to working taarm. Kai's kick to st-up the footstomp looked wicked. I enjoyed this match. If they can sign Jazzy and build her as a babyface and Davita as amonster I look forward ottheir collsion down the road!

James

• Like 1

I hope Toni Storm gets signed. Paired her with TM61, her zaniness will fit well.

Dakota Kai... welp, I think we found our next Bailey. She's damn near perfect replacement too.

Sage Beckett vs. Bianca Belair was a damn stiff match.

Santana Garrett vs. Piper Niven was freakin fantastic in every category. If you squint, you'd think it was something out of GLOW but, boy, did the ladies play the crowd so well. Is Santana ever going to get signed by WWE?

All the big gals have not disappoint whatsoever, KD being the biggest surprise.

I was bummed by the finish in the Devi - Kai match.  Rookie mistake blah blah blah Kavita should've been booked to finish DK clean. 

God, Piper bumped way more for Santana than she probably should have, but both ladies performed extremely well.

Storm/Raymond wasn't much. Not bad, but I was hoping for better based on reports. I should have known better since Raymond wasn't that good when she was in Stardom several years ago. She wasn't bad here, just not very interesting either. I'm looking forward to Toni's other matches.

Devi/Kai was way better than I was expecting. Thought that was just a well built match, and Devi looked so much better than you would guess a Great Khali trainee would. I really look forward to seeing how Devi grows in WWE. She has plenty of potential.

Beckett/Belair was a solid, stiff match. I thought both wer eimpressive, but Belair moreso due to the lack of experience. I can see why they put her in this. She is going to be great as she gains more experience.

Piper/Santana was great, possibly the best match of the first round. Both looked so damn good. Really hope WWE picks up Santana. I kind of want them to stay away from Piper for now, but only because I want to see her keep wrestling for Stardom.

Toni Storm seems like the girlfriend you really like, but all of your friends hate.  You'd never quite be able to keep up with her crazy energy, but you'd be having the time of your life.  Then she'd get bored with you, and you'd break up and you'd silently resent your friends for jinxing your relationship.  You'll never admit that she was crazy, obnoxious and would eventually send you to an early grave, but deep down you'd know your friends were right all along...and you'll hate them for it.

Kavita Devi vs. Dakota Kai was pretty fun.  Devi is a powerhouse who dominated the smaller Kai for the majority of the match, but as soon as Devi found an opening she dropped her two biggest bombs and put Devi out.  

If I had to bet on who is going to be the best worker in this tournament 5 years from now I'd bet on either Bianca Belair or Rhea Ripley.  You can teach an average athlete how to wrestle, but if you teach an athlete like Belair how to wrestle you'll have something special.  She is kind of like a college football player that you recruit even though you have no idea what position they will play.  The floor on an athlete like her is higher than the ceiling for a lot of women.

Piper Niven looks 100% ready for the main roster.  I don't think she's signed long-term, but she impressed me as much as anyone in the tournament.

16 hours ago, supremebve said:

If I had to bet on who is going to be the best worker in this tournament 5 years from now I'd bet on either Bianca Belair or Rhea Ripley.  You can teach an average athlete how to wrestle, but if you teach an athlete like Belair how to wrestle you'll have something special.  She is kind of like a college football player that you recruit even though you have no idea what position they will play.  The floor on an athlete like her is higher than the ceiling for a lot of women.

That's an interesting one as Rhea is much younger, but also has more experience...

16 hours ago, supremebve said:

Piper Niven looks 100% ready for the main roster.  I don't think she's signed long-term, but she impressed me as much as anyone in the tournament.

They gave her a new name which they didn't do for anyone else besides the PC girls, so that might mean she has signed. On the other hand it might just be because Viper is a Randy Orton thing...

Toni Storm has an interesting look.

I had heard rumblings before the tournament, from wrestlers that have worked in India with/for Great Khali and his CWE, that Kavita Devi had no business being on WWE TV...but she handled herself much better than many other of the greener girls in this tournament, despite clearly being scared to death.

We wrote up episode 3. I liked Piper's match more than Phil, both of us really dug the Devi match (though Phil even more), neither of us enjoyed Storm. I didn't think Piper would advance and found myself really rooting for her, the same way I was rooting for Kendrick against Nese in the CWC. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2017/09/mae-young-classic-episode-3.html

On 8/28/2017 at 9:14 PM, MapRef41N93W said:

Toni Storm is one of the biggest heels in wrestling just for wearing that horrible little hat. Worst headgear since Finn Balor's mall-goth headdress.

It took me a minute to figure it out, but Toni Storm reminds me of "Lionheart" -era Chris Jericho, 'cept she listens to Mott the Hoople and Slade instead of Dokken and Loverboy. Which, I dunno, could be cooler, but she kinda turns it up to 8 in the wrong direction. A lot of it is located right in that fucking hat.

She'll figure it out. She's got the potential to be a bad-ass face, she's gotta drop the goofy shit and trying a little too hard. Just wear a leather jacket and a Joan Jett shirt to the ring and she's set.