DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC - EPISODE 1

RIPPA

On 8/28/2017 at 8:19 PM, supremebve said:

Jazzy is going to be a star, she has a physical charisma that you can't teach.  Nia Jax, who is bigger than her by a decent amount, doesn't feel nearly as threatening as Jazzy.  I was legitimately disappointed when she lost.  I really want to see more of her.

Zeda isn't ready yet, but she is someone else I want to see more of in the future.  She's cute as a button and very athletic.  They are going to give her every opportunity to succeed hopefully, she is up to the challenge.

If Shayna Baszler was not friends with Ronda Rousey, I don't think she'd be in this tournament.  She isn't bad, she just doesn't have the presence that a lot of these women have.  I watched her MMA career, I'm not capable of pretending she is some sort of bad ass who is rougher and tougher than any of the other women in this tournament.  If this is supposed to be a tournament full of the elite women of pro wrestling, they should be able to beat an average fighter in a pro wrestling match.  This isn't McGregor fighting Mayweather in a boxing match, this is like washed up Diego Sanchez fighting Mayweather in a boxing match.  

"Doesn't have presence"? My friend, I find it hard to believe that we watched the same match, she looked like a human buzzsaw out there. Yes, I too watched her MMA career and didn't think that highly of her,  in fact I thought her the least of the Four Horsewomen. However, in the very limited exposure she's had thus far in NXT (probably less than ten minutes camera time not counting the six-minute match, okay, let's say a total of fifteen minutes), she's very easily established the character of highly-skilled badass who will do whatever it takes to win. An MMA fighter who has a firm basis of grappling and submissions should automatically be a threat in the pro wrestling environment. Add to that impressive striking skills and Shayna pretty much nailed it herself, "just a different set of rules".  I think she'll be just fine.

Kay Lee Ray reminds me so much of Charlotte except with clearly more ring experience, I hope she's signed.  (1st time I saw her was on Joey Ryan show looking like a Becky Lynch fangirl.)

Serena Deeb; didn't follow her non-WWE career, pleasantly surprised by how good she is. She plays a great babyface in peril.

Baszler... am I the only one who sees Baron Corbon with her in ring presence? Would love to see more of Zeda.

Jazzy is such a wonderfully scary gal. Fantastic match by Abbey. So much great emoting by both gals.

• Like 2

Can't believe people are dumping on Baszler in this thread or thinking she has less presence than some of the women in this tourney. I think she made a pretty damn natural transition into pro wrestling, and thought she was good before she even had 10 matches. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EricR said:

Can't believe people are dumping on Baszler in this thread or thinking she has less presence than some of the women in this tourney. I think she made a pretty damn natural transition into pro wrestling, and thought she was good before she even had 10 matches. 

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but so far I'm not impressed.  That was my first Baszler wrestling match, I've watched her fight multiple times, so I could be biased based on her MMA career.  She just doesn't come off as the bad ass she's supposed to be in my eyes.  In comparison, I'd say that Xia Li and Taynara Conti looked felt more authentically dangerous in their limited ring time.  Baszler is better in the ring than those two, but Li and Conti carried themselves like women who could legit kick some ass.  Matter of fact, I think the best part of the tournament so far is how many of the super green women seem to get how to get their characters across even if they can't quite work yet.

Sugehit/KLR was a nice showcase though it felt like KLR was holding back, especially after the footage beforehand showed her flying around. Really wish she won this round. Still Sugehit was much better than I expected. Still would have preferred Amapola or Marcella.

Deed/Borne was decent.

Zeda/Bazsler was ok. Felt like Bazsler had to slow down a pinch for Zeda to keep up. Neither looked bad, but I know Bazsler can do more just based on what I saw of her in Stardom, and I doubt that stuff was her best.

Jazzy/Abbey was a nice, solid match to end the first show on. I like Jazzy due to her run in Stardom, but I don't think she showed her best here even with that great presence. I actually think some of the other tall wrestlers did better than he in the first round. She was still pretty darn decent. I'm just surprised it was enough to get so many behind her. WWE really should pick her up if her natural presence is that strong.

13 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but so far I'm not impressed.  That was my first Baszler wrestling match, I've watched her fight multiple times, so I could be biased based on her MMA career.  She just doesn't come off as the bad ass she's supposed to be in my eyes.  In comparison, I'd say that Xia Li and Taynara Conti looked felt more authentically dangerous in their limited ring time.  Baszler is better in the ring than those two, but Li and Conti carried themselves like women who could legit kick some ass.  Matter of fact, I think the best part of the tournament so far is how many of the super green women seem to get how to get their characters across even if they can't quite work yet.

I guess I've not really thought about how she carries herself during matches, as I always think she comes off super authentic with her move execution. I don't need her posturing, just need her wrenching arms, throwing big body shots, and tooling girls on the mat.

Here's a review we did of her Stardom match earlier this year against Io Shirai (match link included in review):

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2017/05/2017-ongoing-moty-list-baszler-v-shirai.html

It's much more of a pro style match than I'd seen from her up to that point, and the first time I've seen her sell a bunch. I think she sells her back better in this match than nearly anybody I've seen. It's a tough thing to sell. I'd be shocked if you didn't like this match/her performance in it. 

On 8/31/2017 at 11:17 PM, EricR said:

I've always been on the Baron Corbon band wagon so my comparison was a complement.

That said, Baszler should really punk up her hair, it'll look so much better.

On 9/2/2017 at 1:47 AM, EricR said:

I guess I've not really thought about how she carries herself during matches, as I always think she comes off super authentic with her move execution. I don't need her posturing, just need her wrenching arms, throwing big body shots, and tooling girls on the mat.

Here's a review we did of her Stardom match earlier this year against Io Shirai (match link included in review):

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2017/05/2017-ongoing-moty-list-baszler-v-shirai.html

It's much more of a pro style match than I'd seen from her up to that point, and the first time I've seen her sell a bunch. I think she sells her back better in this match than nearly anybody I've seen. It's a tough thing to sell. I'd be shocked if you didn't like this match/her performance in it. 

I liked that much better, but it doesn't really disprove my point.  She had a 4-minute match that was meant to leave an impression, and she failed to make much of an impression on me.  There were a couple of women, who don't have her seasoning who really felt like they understood their characters and how to present themselves to the audience.  Baszler wrestled like a competent wrestler, which I assumed she was in the first place.  Xia Li made an impression with her demeanor and her unique offense.  Rhea Ripley made an impression by looking like she was designed in a lab to be a pro wrestler.  Toni Storm made an impression by revolving her offense around her ass, which made me think, "I think that would hurt her butt more than that would hurt the other girl's face."  Toni, if you're reading this, I mean no disrespect...but if you want to punish me by hitting me in the face with your butt...I accept my punishment.  Hopefully, Baszler shows more in her next match, but she seemed like just another wrestler after her first match...her finisher is pretty dope though.

Finally watched the first episode. Liked Kay Lee Ray and sorry to see her leave so quickly.

Thought the pairings were wrong with Baszler/Zeda and Laith/Jazzy. Zeda and Baszler were awful together, and Laith looked a little silly trying to stand toe-to-toe with a monster German. I'm sure Laith and Zeda could've had a fun little match and Shayna's toughness would've been on better display having to fight against a fucking monster...then Gabert jobbing out the first round is less a deal if she made the "real" fighter look like a badass.

EDIT: also, I personally hate when an MMA person comes to wrestling and says "I'm legit." It's so Vince Russo: the rest was fake but this...this part right here is for SHOOTZ!