DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC - EPISODE 1

RIPPA

I like both KLR and Princesa Sugehit but they just never seemed to gel.

Some nice little character work from Vanessa Borne and I dug her new attire. Glad to see Serena again. She was always a favorite. 

Zeda/Baszler was just sort of there.

I can see why everyone was so high on Jazzy. She came out of this looking like a real monster. She and Abbey had the best match of this show. 

Borne seemed to have a lot of potential, definitely had no trouble telling the story of the match and, given that Serena hasn't been wrestling regularly in the last few years, they must have faith in Borne to put her in a match like this. 

Really enjoyed Shayna/Zeda, good little 2 minute match. Enjoyed the sequence of Baszler blocking a suplex, Zeda turning it into a guillotine choke, only for Shayna to turn that into her own suplex straight into a choke. Looked really good.

The opener and the main were both good matches too, but I expected as much from the talents involved. The two middle matches being good was a pleasant surprise

Yeah, commentary not good.  JR at this point sounds like JR from an old WWE game with the random comments.

Baszler's MMA experience has probably helped her seem really polished in interviews and a lot of presence stuff for someone who hasn't been pro-wrestling all that long, but I wasn't blown away by her strikes when Jazzy/Abby were throwning much better strikes in the following match.

I didn't think the commentary would've been worse than the cruiserweight classic. I was very wrong. Didn't make it through a full match before I turned it down as low as I can to hear crowd noise and miss lots of the words.

Why is it that when it's tournament time, Full Sail lifts their "Fuck CMLL Forever" ban? Anyways Sugehit is dope and has been dope and I hope she goes far in the tournament to show that off. 

Into Deeb's "i replaced beer with yoga but i still want to kill" thing, as well as Vanessa's Cheerleader Brawler thing (that sliding headbutt is corny as shit without the former Suns dancer context). Good little brawl.

Matwrestling heavy sprint is a new one on me but I was super into it, if only to put documented proof in front of WWE that you can have a personality while you are trading holds. Death To The Obligatory Chain Wrestling Section.

"I want to crush the little girls." Jazzy is fuckin' Money. She got totally over in the first seconds of the match just with yelling. I hope she's signed long-term. Abbey is really good as the super scrappy overwhelmed babyface. Monster movie shit, right on down to crying over surviving. Loved it. 

• Like 2

I'm halfway through the so but wanted to post some thoughts

- Kay Lee Ray v Sugehit was pretty good, Kay Lee is great and such a smooth wrestler, was worried they wouldn't click but was a good little match

- Vanessa Bornes look was great, total 80's vamp diva, she could have been Natties Southpaw opponent

- Serenas turnbuckle chest bump was Bret Hart levels of great

- Lita is great on commentary but JR, not so much, yeesh.

• Like 1

I can't remember the last time I heard a crowd at Full Sail just look at someone from entrance like they did with Jazzy Gabert and just all gasps and oooh/ahhh at the same time.  Then the first 20 seconds happen and the crowd just loses their shit.   Jazzy obviously isn't ready for the main roster but I can totally see her being a bodyguard for someone like an Aiden English or a Drew Gulak

So glad to see Serena at least get one win in this tournament.  Lita showing her favoritism isn't professional but nice to see

Lita is not bad based on the 1st show. I can definitely believe she studying these women as much as possible.   But JR definitely comes off like someone who is ready a script or notes.   I assume there is massive post production in the commentary

Man, that Jazzy/Abbey (it's so weird writing that as their names) match was such a good classic size mismatch match, terrifically executed. That was my favorite first round match by quite a bit, and I really hope they use Abbey in NXT (Jazzy too, but I was kind of assuming she was just in for the tournament? Would love to be wrong on that).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, maciej said:

Man, that Jazzy/Abbey (it's so weird writing that as their names) match was such a good classic size mismatch match, terrifically executed. That was my favorite first round match by quite a bit, and I really hope they use Abbey in NXT (Jazzy too, but I was kind of assuming she was just in for the tournament? Would love to be wrong on that).

Abbey has been signed and has done a few TV jobs and has been on the NXT Florida loop.

Just now, maciej said:

Yeah, totally. Should have written "use her as more than just a jobber".

I'm sure she'll get her chance.  They've used recent signees as TV fodder before they officially launch them with their new name and stuff.  With Asuka's injury and eventual call up (they were teasing Billie and Peyton as well, for call ups, but we'll see), I think we are not far from the introduction of new faces and people stepping up in the pecking order.

Jazzy is going to be a star, she has a physical charisma that you can't teach.  Nia Jax, who is bigger than her by a decent amount, doesn't feel nearly as threatening as Jazzy.  I was legitimately disappointed when she lost.  I really want to see more of her.

Zeda isn't ready yet, but she is someone else I want to see more of in the future.  She's cute as a button and very athletic.  They are going to give her every opportunity to succeed hopefully, she is up to the challenge.

If Shayna Baszler was not friends with Ronda Rousey, I don't think she'd be in this tournament.  She isn't bad, she just doesn't have the presence that a lot of these women have.  I watched her MMA career, I'm not capable of pretending she is some sort of bad ass who is rougher and tougher than any of the other women in this tournament.  If this is supposed to be a tournament full of the elite women of pro wrestling, they should be able to beat an average fighter in a pro wrestling match.  This isn't McGregor fighting Mayweather in a boxing match, this is like washed up Diego Sanchez fighting Mayweather in a boxing match.  

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Jazzy is going to be a star, she has a physical charisma that you can't teach.  Nia Jax, who is bigger than her by a decent amount, doesn't feel nearly as threatening as Jazzy.  I was legitimately disappointed when she lost.  I really want to see more of her.

Zeda isn't ready yet, but she is someone else I want to see more of in the future.  She's cute as a button and very athletic.  They are going to give her every opportunity to succeed hopefully, she is up to the challenge.

If Shayna Baszler was not friends with Ronda Rousey, I don't think she'd be in this tournament.  She isn't bad, she just doesn't have the presence that a lot of these women have.  I watched her MMA career, I'm not capable of pretending she is some sort of bad ass who is rougher and tougher than any of the other women in this tournament.  If this is supposed to be a tournament full of the elite women of pro wrestling, they should be able to beat an average fighter in a pro wrestling match.  This isn't McGregor fighting Mayweather in a boxing match, this is like washed up Diego Sanchez fighting Mayweather in a boxing match.  

What she doesn't have in "it factor" or whatever, I feel like Baszler makes up with her in-ring ability particularly for somebody who just started going pro. She's had some very good matches on the indies and can integrate mat wrestling and submissions really well into pro-wrestling.

I say this without having actually seen her match of course. :D

There were a fun breathtaking moments in the Zeeta/Bazler sprint, and the last match was legit very good. But they were really weird paired together, with one ending instantly on a sleeper, and the next one having a very similar sleeper just be part of the control. Plus Jazzy out-struck Baszler easily.

I think both matches would've been better on separate episodes.

Loving this so far. Kay Lee/Sugehit may have been my favorite match so far. They did a lot in a short amount of time, both looked great. Definitely hope to see more Kay Lee, big time star potential. Love seeing Serena back in the ring. Her post-WWE/pre-injury 2010-2011 run was incredible and she was one of the absolute best at the time. Shayna's finish is cool and I thought Zeda showed a good amount of potential in her brief time there. Abbey/Jazzy was awesome and one of the best underdog/monster womens matches they've had, both looked fantastic there.

• Like 1

I really hope Jazzy gets signed and NXT provides some polish to her in ring as her look and intensity are money. Really dug her match with Abbey and the perfect monster/underdog story.

Pleasantly surprised by Borne looking solid as well as Deeb not showing too much in ring rust.

Baszler's finisher was cool, but for a sprint it seemed a bit disjointed.

Sugehit/Kaley Ray had some really nice smooth exchanges and was a good opener with a really receptive crowd.

JR is now a liability on commentary and that is unfortunate. Lita isn't strong enough to counter that either. 

As much upside as there is to (most) of the first round competitors, I can't reflect on anything that happened in the MYC without first thinking "SIGN JAZZY SIGN JAZZY SIGN JAZZY" for a minute or two.

She is MASAHIRO CHONO's stepdaughter. Why did nobody tell me this? Did commentary ever say anything?

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

As much upside as there is to (most) of the first round competitors, I can't reflect on anything that happened in the MYC without first thinking "SIGN JAZZY SIGN JAZZY SIGN JAZZY" for a minute or two.

She is MASAHIRO CHONO's stepdaughter. Why did nobody tell me this? Did commentary ever say anything?

Commentary didn't say anything, and it doesn't appear you're going to hear that during the tournament.  If anything the narrative they're telling is she had a rough upbringing with her family and stepfamily.  When asked who her family is she said wrestling is her family.  I don't know if the rough stepfamily is due to Chono, but it seems odd not to mention him.

I'm not as bothered by JR as most are.  He's definitely not in prime form but Lita sounded tons better and more interested so it's not a total loss.  The opening and closing matches were great for different reasons, and the middle matches were fine too.  Nice start to the tournament.

There's footage of her hanging out at ARISTRIST with Chono from only a few years ago that give me no indication of strife.

There's some elaboration here. Apparently they're very close. I want Jazzy in STFs and sunglasses. Full Team 2000 entrance. FUCKY'ALLgermansGONNADO

2 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

We reviewed this episode over at Segunda Caida

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2017/08/mae-young-classic-episode1.html

Nice job as always, guys.  I'm with you as far as being surprised that everyone's favorite monster didn't advance, but I suppose they had to SWERVE us sometime in round one...  

Baszler is the perfect cocky heel who can back it up, I'm hoping we see much more of her in NXT. Princesca Sugehit has to be close to forty now? At least it seems like she's been around forever. She definitely did lucha proud in her match and I'm intrigued to see how far she goes. 

As a recovered alcoholic myself, I have a soft spot for Serena Deeb, however that disappears when I watch her wrestle. Ringrust or not, when you've been at it as long as she has you simply should be head and shoulders above the kids and she isn't, not even close.

On 8/28/2017 at 10:19 PM, supremebve said:

This fits with my pet theory that pro wrestling would be better off never acknowledging the existence of MMA.