• San Diego Padres
    • San Francisco Giants
    • Seattle Mariners
    • St. Louis Cardigans
    • Tampa Bay Rays
    • Texas Rangers
    • Toronto Blue Jays
    • Washington Nationals

I realized, I don't actually know which teams most people root for, so figured this would be a simpler way of finding out than digging through other threads.

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Are we restricting sabremike to one choice in the poll? ;)

Yes, I actually DO root for two teams: The Mets and whomever is playing the Yankees.

I actively root for two teams and here's why... When I was a kid Seattle didn't have a MLB team. We had the Seattle Rainiers, which were fun, but could never be confused with the real deal. All the other kids were fans of the detestable New York Yankees, I was then, even as now, a contrarian. My team was the Whoooo, By God Milwaukee Braves!!! When I was in first and second grade their 3-4-5 line-up was Aaron, Mathews, & Adcock, how can you not love that? They still had the aging but effective Warren Spahn on the mound every fourth day, how can you not love that? Anyway, I remained a Braves fan when they moved to Hotlanta, even when they traded away my beloved Holy Trinity. It was a long time until glory days returned for the Braves, but I remained a loyal fan and still am.

Lo and behold, Seattle got a MLB team!!! Sadly, the Pilots weren't around long enough to form any attachments. Fast forward to the advent of the Seattle Mariners and I now had an American League team to root for. Hell with the johnny-come-lately dweebs that got on board when Ken Griffey jr. debuted, REAL Mariner fans lived and died by each swing of the bat by Alvin Fucking Davis, perhaps the slowest black man to ever play the game, but damn he could hit. (Lots of fans, myself included wanted to see a footrace between Alvin and Edgar Martinez (the slowest Latino player in the game). Anyway, you could field a HOF line-up of players that the M's gave up on too early or traded for nothing, but I still follow them for perverse amusement, (like I'm going to start following the Albuquerque team? Please.)

Mariners going to the HOF:

Randy Johnson

Ken Griffey jr

Alex Rodriguez

Edgar Martinez

My fandom of The Red Sox started with my fandom of Jose Canseco my childhood baseball hero (they always fail us don't they) I started as an Oakland A's fan but followed Jose to the Rangers and then Red Sox but when he left the Sox I had become a Patriots fan (thanks to Drew Bledsoe whom I was sure would be the greatest QB of all time), liked the history of the Sox and knew that Canseco wasn't the player he was anymore, I let him go and embraced Mo Vaughn and the Red Sox as my team and the Boston area as my defacto city of pro-sports fandom (except the NBA where I've never really had a team but started backing the Bruins and later the Revolution)

• 2 weeks later...

Being a Yankees fan runs in my family, but I'm bordering on fanatical. I proposed to my ex at Yankee Stadium. Honestly, I dodged a bullet when we broke up. Depending on my choice of cremation or burial, I'm either going in a Yankees urn or Yankees casket.

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

You better get that in writing in a will or someone will screw it up and bury you in a NASCAR coffin.

Casket, not coffin. Sorry, just my funeral director pet peeve. I'll do the pre-arranging, so a mistake like that won't happen.