DVDVR Message Board

Please Don't Fuck Around With Hurricane Harvey

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Power went out Saturday Night. Flooding started late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. We got 6 inches in the house during Alison, none during Ike & Rita. It was 3x as much water this time around. Was afraid it would keep rising with how hard the rain was coming down, but we lucked out and it never rose above 18 or 19 inches. Still had to go to a shelter which saw my father, my older brother, and myself walk a mile in water going as high as our chests to the nearest grocery store and wait 3 hrs. just to be evacuated to a shelter (my older high school). Went to another shelter a few days later and spent a night there before leaving the next afternoon to my youngest sister's house. Picked up some stuff form my house today. My electronics were generally fine (placed them all high) but much of the house is fucked including our power and a/c (they were kept outside and on the ground). Mold is already starting to grow in some areas. My dad had four cars in the driveway. All of them got flooded including the trucks. His only safe car was one being kept in the shop. My poor brother had his car completely submerged since it was on the street. Feel sorry for him since he was only doing his usual weekend visit to my dad and myself. On the other and we have been wanting to him to get a new car so yeah there I guess (its an extremely  hollow victory). Both my sisters made it out fine with pwoer never going out or their houses flooding. My brother is good as well aside from his care. His apartment was perfectly ok. We are generally safe and sound though we won't have a home of our own for a while now since my father was a bit too arrogant in thinking the flood insurance was unnecessary since Alison was supposedly a 100 year flood (to be fair they totally tried to gouge him back then when inquiring). Right now we are staying at my younger sister's while waiting to see what our options are.

Dude that sucks.  I can't believe how lucky we've been.  Let me know if there's anything I can do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'll spare everyone my rant about blood donations and banning gay men from giving them, but suffice to say, I've had THOUGHTS about this for 25 years.

I support anything you would say or think on the topic. It's prejudicial bullshit on a fundamental level that needs to stop. They can test the fucking blood if they're that paranoid. They probably should anyway if they don't.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Thanks, I think we will be fine. I'm glad you and your family made it out fine.

Stay safe, may Thanatos protect you which, yes, I know is the opposite of what he would do if real.

• Like 1

So for work today - we hauled over donations from (mainly) students to VDOT (the Virginia Dept of Transportation) who is filling 2 18 wheelers worth of stuff and driving down to Houston per FEMA's request

We unloaded our cars, etc... and when we were all done we kinda all looked at each other and just said "Guess we will be doing this again next week"

It was really sad in the matter of factness of it all

Sigh....

Heading over to the clinic on post to donate blood to the medical relief effort and donated some cash to JJ Watt's gofundme.

Just because Irma is ripping shit up doesn't mean we've forgotten about out beleaguered family in Texas.

We love all of y'all.