DVDVR Message Board

Please Don't Fuck Around With Hurricane Harvey

RIPPA

Don't be like the yahoos around here who are always FUCK THE METEROLOGISTS!!! I CAN DRIVE IN A BLIZZARD IN MY HONDA CIVIC!!!

Use the thread as to check in and distract yourself as necessary

• Like 1

• RIPPA pinned this topic

So it looks like this could be about as strong as Katrina, so if you live anywhere in the vicinity, please be safe. It seems that a decent amount fo New Orleans pumps are down, so it could flood there as well, yikes.

Also, I'm noticing a lot of, umm, not hurricane fatigue, but more the opposite where folks are lulled into a false sense of security because we haven't had a major hurricane in some time. I wouldn't even really call the storm that hit Florida last year that. I remember that storm well because there are three folks on my team who were all in the path and had their storm warning alarms all go off on their phones during a conference call. They were all able to stay in their homes without much of any damage. This hurricane won't be that. My fingers are crossed that it begins to weaken quickly, but I really don't know.

Looks like most of my idiot relatives got out of the Corpus area before the storm.  A few are still around, but at least the ones you'd worry about most (small children, elderly with mobility issues, people that live right on the fucking beach) are out of there.   I'm just hoping we don't lose power here too long, and that we don't get much in the way of tornadoes.  Last big hurricane that made to Austin spawned about 20 of em in the city.  

I'd love to have an explanation of why I-37 was still running both ways last I checked.  They've got the system in place to reverse the southbound lanes for this exact situation, so I dunno why they didn't think to use it.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

My stupid-ass local news station here in the DC suburbs is sending a meteorologist to Texas to cover the storm.  TV news is fucking dumb.

Stuff like that is why I stopped watching the news. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

My stupid-ass local news station here in the DC suburbs is sending a meteorologist to Texas to cover the storm.  TV news is fucking dumb.

If it's channel 4, considering they have 6 meterologists on staff NBC probably felt a need to justify the salary for them...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I have a friend who retired from the Navy as a meteorologist and then joined the National Weather Service.  He'd rather be filming tornados any day of the week.  As he always said, "Sunny days are boring."

TV News isn't dumb.  Most meteorologists are crazy mother fuckers that love to chase storms.

All folks in the path of the storm need to stay safe aka get the fuck out of the path of the storm.

11 hours ago, Ryan said:

"We need one of you to go die to cut the budget. You, the guy we don't like, get moving."

"And here, take this red shirt we just ordered..." 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, dogwelder said:

If it's channel 4, considering they have 6 meterologists on staff NBC probably felt a need to justify the salary for them...

It is NBC and like JT said - the person they sent is super excited about it.

My sister already checked in with my cousins who live in Texas and they said they are out of the path and just getting rain. But any of us who have lived through any of the previous ones know that life is gonna be miserable for awhile.

16 hours ago, Robert C said:

I'd love to have an explanation of why I-37 was still running both ways last I checked.  They've got the system in place to reverse the southbound lanes for this exact situation, so I dunno why they didn't think to use it.

They don't have enough ICE agents to check those leaving if they open the other lanes?

• Haha 1

I thought I read or heard somewhere (so it might be bullshit) that this hurricane is the equivalent of getting 30 - 35 feet of snow in a span of 2 or 3 days.   It is going to get really bad.  I really hope that the people learned from the lessons of Katrina in terms of government assistance and long term damage but it really doesn't sound like it 

If anyone in the Texas area is on here if you haven't gotten the fuck out of there then do it.  

here in Austin, it's been raining steadily since about 1am, but slowly enough that it hasn't been a huge issue.  RIP my biggest umbrella, though, as about 6pm I thought "It's barely raining right now, I can walk the thousand feet to the gas station for junk food and beer to feel less trapped" only to lose it to the wind.  At least here on the south side, this has not been as bad as the flooding in May 2016, October 2015 or October 2013, but I still feel glad to have stocked up on non-junk food yesterday.

Things have picked up the last few hours around here.  Still nothing really worrisome, though.  We've got about 6-7 inches in the rain gauge, but with the horizontal rain I'm sure we've got a good bit more than that.  

Wondering if I'm gonna have to go help get my aunt and uncle out of their house tomorrow, if I can even get there.  They're about an hour southeast of Austin, and looks like they're getting absolutely hammered.  Their house is high enough that it won't flood, but they've got multiple dams topped, and maybe washed out, near them.  

8 hours ago, Robert C said:

Things have picked up the last few hours around here.  Still nothing really worrisome, though.  We've got about 6-7 inches in the rain gauge, but with the horizontal rain I'm sure we've got a good bit more than that.  

Wondering if I'm gonna have to go help get my aunt and uncle out of their house tomorrow, if I can even get there.  They're about an hour southeast of Austin, and looks like they're getting absolutely hammered.  Their house is high enough that it won't flood, but they've got multiple dams topped, and maybe washed out, near them.  

Fortunately, it looks like my aunt and uncle still have power.  Had to worry about that, since my uncle is on oxygen.  Long as things stay as is, they can just stay in place till the creeks go back down some.

• Like 2

It looks like we're gonna be ok in my neighborhood.  Only the usual spots got flooded, and our house is ok.  We never lost power, and I've been watching some G1 Climax 27 to pass the time. 

Here's a photo from my neighborhood:

Spoiler

21106698_1650750671615347_35721595968683

My exit to downtown Houston

Spoiler

21105584_10154830653983531_6942908977748

And here's the criminal courthouse steps:

Spoiler

21078373_10154830535458531_5115736175108

Can't leave my home, can't go to work.  Oh well, more G1.

• Like 1