DVDVR Message Board

Atlantis, Mascara Sagrada y Super Astro vs. Hombre Bala, Pirata Morgan y Verdugo) (September 1989)

Phil Schneider

• 2 months later...

This is a one fall affair and as such is basically an extended squash for the technicos.  But for being what it is damn is it fun.  I'm a real sucker for these lucha segments where skillful, athletic technicos will be hitting all their spectacular offensive while  the rudos stooge like crazy for them and this has that in spades.  The technicos were in top form for that kind of stuff and Los Piratas really brought it with the stooging and as bases.  Ending is great with each technico hitting a big dive, capped off by Astro hitting a slingshot senton to the outside which is one of my favorite regular high spots in all of wrestling.

• 1 month later...

This is merely a glimpse of great lucha. It looks great but we don't get to see much. Los Bucaneros are some of the best rudo bases ever and they excel in a sprinty environment like this one. Atlantis and Super Astro are great again. Duh. It was weird to see a babyface miscommunication spot. I'm not sure where to rank this.

On a second viewing this was really fun. I wish it felt more like a full match but this is a more entertaining whole than a number of three fall trios matches on this set and features tons of crisp/cool offense. It's hard to argue with fun so I could even see this somewhere near the middle of my ballot.

• 2 weeks later...

This match is "relevo cuadrangular" which I guess means trios. Did I ever mention I love los Bucaneros' Rockettes-esque triple kick? Because I do. There is some really choreographed-looking shit with Sagrada taking on all three rudos but it is super entertaining and ends in one of them flying into the other two outside of the ring. Super Astro looks much more natural at this task, screwing up the pirates and making them dizzy. Like the last match we get another great Atlantis triple backbreaker spot and this time he accidentally does it to Astro as well and Sagrada is all "what the fuck, man?!" We get three dives to finish and Astro absolutely blows his last one out of the water, slingshotting himself over the top into a full-on rolling senton to the floor that I can only compare to the one Rey Jr. did to Psicosis in their title match a couple years later (if I'm remembering that correctly). It looks suicidal. That was short but what a tecnico showcase, and the rudo miscommunication spots with them bumping all over and outside the ring were great. I agree with Graham in that this is more fun than a lot of longer matches on the set.

• 11 months later...

Very one-sided, but really, really spectacular.  I loved seeing Atlantis accidentally giving the spinning backbreaker to Astro, and Sagrada's reaction.  It seemed like one of those big angle U.S. matches, but they ended up being cool.  The rudos were perfect throughout.  I don't think I'll ever tire of watching Astro befuddle the rudos by spinning around, and then strutting back to his corner.  The final sequence with all three technicos going over the top rope was incredible and launches this short match into my top-30. 

• 2 weeks later...

This was fucking amazing to me. I love rudo stooging segments in trios and this is like one big extended section of that. Super Astro is so good at making the rudos look like idiots and then just coolly making his way to the corner to tag. Super Astro psyching someone out on a reverse tope, the segment where Sagrada sent one of the rudos out diving onto his other partners, the spot where Atlantis does his backbreaker to Super Astro by accident and then that fucking insane finishing stretch has this match finishing pretty damn high on my ballot.