DVDVR Message Board

Face Turns

On 8/24/2017 at 1:07 AM, Ryan said:

I forgot about Teddy "buying" Hercules. That was kind of tasteless. Couldn't he have just bought his contractual rights or something? Weird. HERCULES WILL NOT BE A SLAVE!

It was about power for Dibiase, he wanted him as a slave, not as a mere Virgil esque lackey. 

Heenan had to know how this was going to pan out, he got paid in cash, clocked Herc with the case and left. He realized Dibiase was a megalomaniac and wanted to bleed him for what he could. 

Though Dibiase for his part, stopped doing business with Heenan after this. 

• Like 1

Herc started in the WWF with Blassie then transferred to Slick (him and Blassie had a company together) then Slick sold Herc's contract to Heenan. 

I mean he probably could have dealt with his contract being sold again. Which Heenan probably did do, but Dibiase made a mess of the transfer because he was insane.  I would think outside of golden age Hollywood or pre free agency baseball, calling someone your slave is means to dismiss a contract. 

On 8/24/2017 at 9:52 AM, nofuture said:

Nothing better than Dusty commentating his face turn.

GARY HART, SEMI PROFESSIONAL WINO FROM CHICAGO. Such a fantastic line.

On 8/24/2017 at 10:23 AM, cwoy2j said:

He didn't even think enough of Gary Hart to consider him a professional wino.

Dusty was best friends with Dick Murdoch, so I would imagine his standards in regards to wino achievement level were pretty high.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I've always thought a neat trick was when a popular heel turns face, only to quickly turn back and reveal he was faking it the whole time.  If done right, the inevitable real babyface turn works even better in terms of fan response.  The Rock in '98 was a great example of this.

They really should have made that stick. Its rare to get a chance to fix a mistake and they double downed on it. 

His turn post Survivor Series 2001 was weird. Vince started being a heel and was going to strip Austin of the title. Which apparently had been an option the entire time. Kurt Angle was a heel for saving the WWF. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2017 at 4:36 AM, Victator said:

It was about power for Dibiase, he wanted him as a slave, not as a mere Virgil esque lackey. 

Heenan had to know how this was going to pan out, he got paid in cash, clocked Herc with the case and left. He realized Dibiase was a megalomaniac and wanted to bleed him for what he could. 

Though Dibiase for his part, stopped doing business with Heenan after this. 

DiBiase did not stop doing business with Heenan after this. DiBiase aided Mr. Perfect in winning the IC title back from Kerry von Erich.

No one expected to see this shit.  I marked for days even though it really seemed out of place..

In retrospect, there are some guys who should have never wrestled as a face.  Dick Murdoch, Big Van Vader, Blackjack Mulligan, Bruiser Brody, and Stan Hansen is on that immediate short list.

For some reason, I am having an old man hazy flashback of reading in a dirtsheet that The Great Kabuki once turned face during an angle in NWA / WCW over Gary Hart mismanaging The Great Muta aka Kabuki's kayfabe son.

Yet another awkward face turn that probably would've been fucking awesome to see live.

For the life of me, I can't find any references on the interwebs about it, so I am chalking it up to Early Onset Alzheimer's.,

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

No one expected to see this shit.  I marked for days even though it really seemed out of place..

In retrospect, there are some guys who should have never wrestled as a face.  Dick Murdoch, Big Van Vader, Blackjack Mulligan, Bruiser Brody, and Stan Hansen is on that immediate short list.

I'll give you Vader and Brody*, but the others were great tough-guy babyfaces... even Hansen in Georgia (his only sustained good guy run to the best of my knowledge).

*= Although Brody had one of the all-time great ring announcer calls when he was a face in World Class, courtesy of Marc Lowrance. "Albuquerque New Mexico, the world-famous BRUUUUUUISERRRRRRRR BRODY!"

It's definitely because of growing up in St. Louis watching Wrestling at the Chase, but I can never picture Brody as anything other than King Kong Brody, the rough-and-tumble babyface who loved the fans and went crazy only when he had to do so.

Now Dick Murdoch, he was always pure evil.  Comic evil, to be sure, but evil nonetheless.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

For some reason, I am having an old man hazy flashback of reading in a dirtsheet that The Great Kabuki once turned face during an angle in NWA / WCW over Gary Hart mismanaging The Great Muta aka Kabuki's kayfabe son.

Yet another awkward face turn that probably would've been fucking awesome to see live.

For the life of me, I can't find any references on the interwebs about it, so I am chalking it up to Early Onset Alzheimer's.,

Kabuki was a face when he was managed by Sunshine.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Murdoch as the patriotic Captain Redneck ex-Marine makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Murdoch as the patriotic Captain Redneck ex-Marine makes sense. 

Patriotic to the point where he turned heel because Dusty teaming with Nikita Koloff pissed him off that badly.