DVDVR Message Board

2017 NCAAF: WEEK 1

Dolfan in NYC

10 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

"Wow. Texas jobbed to Maryland. That may be the worst loss a Texas-based team takes today."

Looks at internet two hours later

"Well. Baylor loses to Liberty. And that's only the 50th most embarrassing thing to happen to BU over the past year."

Embarrassment requires a sense of shame.

• Like 3

Looks like last night's game had some pretty dire consequences for Alabama, too.  The two top pass rushers are out for the year.  Yeesh.

This game went from "well, they'll probably just meet up in the playoffs again" to "neither of them might make the playoffs."

Well, my alma mater plays in 90 min.  So I may have  only a hour and a half before starting 4 months of hand-wringing and second-guessing the decision to give our coach a contract extension and sizable raise.

On the plus side, Will Grier will be by far the best qb we've had in the Holgerson era, though that bar is kinda low (our last two starting QB's ended up here because they were lightly recruited by D1 schools).

A&M went up 44-10 with 4 minutes left in the 3rd.  I feel like you could just call HB dive EVERY PLAY after that and, as long as you were taking the play clock down to like 5 every snap, run out the clock before they could score 35 points.

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

A&M went up 44-10 with 4 minutes left in the 3rd.  I feel like you could just call HB dive EVERY PLAY after that and, as long as you were taking the play clock down to like 5 every snap, run out the clock before they could score 35 points.

You've seen A&M play right?  I'm honestly not even surprised this happened.  Frustrated, yes.  Surprised, no.  Total second half collapses (albeit not quite this magnitude) have been a regular occurrence since the later Slocum years.  I almost would've been more surprised with A&M finishing strong than with losing like that.  The only time this hasn't happened frequently was during Manziel's two years.  God knows he had his share of faults, but at least for those two years we didn't have to put up with this.

Fortunately, I didn't watch the second half.  I have a peculiar medical issue where I can go into anaphylactic shock if I eat shellfish and then have any sort of adrenaline inducing event afterwards (exercise, stress, etc).  Sort of like a seafood allergy, but not quite.  Anyway, we made fried shrimp for dinner, so I saved myself the stress and turned off the game for the second half.  Who knew potentially life threatening medical conditions could have an upside?

I guess it's time to start speculating who A&M hires come December.  I'm guessing there'll be a big push for a hardass to deal with players that have supposedly been coddled under Sumlin, sort of like what landed Strong at Texas.  Probably with similar results, as well.