DVDVR Message Board

NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling 2017

sevendaughters

When seeing the hashtag for the show on twitter, people were going apeshit for Ospreay/Scurll, so I'm guessing a lot of Europeans and people who don't post here want to see their traveling match in New Japan for a belt. Expect an Oscutter countered into a Chickenwing to be teased and/or done about 4 times.

I guess Gedo knows something I don't, because I certainly don't watch NJPW to see gaijin wrestling each other for the belts.

Speaking of which, I hope this interminable KES/GOD/War Machine business is done with.  It felt like a blowoff match, but then GOD attacking War Machine after being eliminated makes me think this shit isn't over yet.  HOW ARE THERE NO NATIVE HEAVYWEIGHT TAG TEAMS????

A. Gedo loves American stuff. B. Stop hating and saying gaijin, it's an insult. C. They haven't had a flourishing native heavyweight tag division in forever. You can have more TenKoji if you want.

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

BTW who's due back from excursion who could be this Switchblade character?

Only other guy I think is due back is Jay White.  At this point, as long as it isn't Piece of Shit Callihan I'm good.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I would much rather watch a TenKoji match than another of these endless GAIJIN three ways.

Would you rather they be taking up space in the Singles rosters?

I largely enjoyed KOPW though a lot of intensive UWF watching has coloured my ability to get through hammy stuff like that Bullet Club/CHAOS trios match. I simply walked out of the room and came back when it was done. I was dying inside at the "TWO BOOTS!" shit. Wanted Akira Maeda to climb in and shoot on them all.

Ishii-Naito easy MOTN for me. Born to work each other.

Roppongi3K was a great bit and I think those two are going to kill it for the next year or so.

Main event was solid and I still think EVIL is going to be great.

Ospreay does little for me but I'll give him that he was nowhere near as cheesy as he can be and it was a good match in the end. Some of those moves he does are beyond stupid though.

Good set-up to the Tanahashi-Ibushi match, which is something I'm really looking forward to.

Solid 6.5-7 out of 10. KOPW is usually better than this though.

I hope not.

Having gotten past it, eech that Tag Title match was hot garbage.  I would agree, with the logjam up top, that some of the older guys that aren't seeing anything other than open multi-man tags would probably be better suited to partnering up with Young Lions to promote them on the sly.  I know the excursion is a big thing, but I don't know where you send all the kids in this class.

Also, looking around and it seems the money is on Callihan being Switchblade, and I'm going to fucking hate that that POS is getting paid by my favorite promotion.  

Yeah, the Callihan hate on this board is weird.  I'm not a big fan, but he's just fine.  I think he struggled for a little while to find his footing on the current Indy scene after leaving WWE, but he's been good for the last year.   He's certainly no worse than most everybody else working that PWG go-go-go style these days.

On 10/11/2017 at 9:16 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

Sami Callihan makes Marty Scurll look like Lou Thesz.

What the hell is the matter with you? Callihan belongs in the discussion of the ten best wrestlers on the planet. Scurll easily fits into a discussion of the worst.  Callihan is cursed with the worst possible build for the type of wrestling he does (the basic fireplug with  rudimentary arms and legs), but despite that, he manages to have pretty much consistently ****+  matches with an amazingly varied group of opponents. Would he be my first choice to build a  promotion around? No, Randy Orton would be my top pick. Would he be 2-4? Again, likely not,  I may have mentioned elsewhere that 2- 4 would be Nakamura,  Naito, and Kenny Omega leaving the #5 spot free and clear for Mr. Callihan to take up residency. 

I'm not particularly in the US indie loop but I do make the attempt here and there, so clearly there's something I'm missing with Sami. I've seen four of his recent PWG matches; a rather blah sprint against Matt Sydal, a goofy throw-away with Cody Rhodes / a goofy throw-away tag match where he did that cat mask shtick (?), and a match against Jack Evans that became much less interesting once Sami stopped trying to kiss his opponent and started chugging beer (???).

Am I doing this wrong? By pure cosmic chance is every Sami Callihan match since his WWE departure a classic, save for the few I've seen? I liked the Solomon Crowe gimmick. I enjoyed some of Sami's CZW garbage-y stuff. I'm not anti-indie and I hope the Riddle/Cobb G1 Tag League rumor pays off. Whatevs.