DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather vs. McGregor (8/26/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I really hope this is 12 rounds of Mayweather running around doing nothing. Hitting just enough jabs to win the round because you can't give 10-10 or 9-9 rounds.   I mean sure it will be entertaining watching Connor do his bad Nick Diaz impersonation but that is really what we deserve.   The idea that this is the fight Floyd takes seriously and really tries to put a quick whooping on somebody is laughable to me.

Who are the announcers for this fight?  Do we get to hear Teddy Atlas screaming about how awful this fight is while throwing around how awful today's generation is :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Hitting just enough jabs to win the round because you can't give 10-10 or 9-9 rounds.   

I'm not sure I follow. Why do you think that you can't have even rounds? I get that they aren't tremendously common, but is there something in the ruleset that states there can't be around that gets scored a draw?

yes they can if they want to.   But I assume that judges will do what they can to figure out a winner.    I mean even in rounds Floyd did absolutely nothing the judges found enough for a 10-9 the vast majority of the time.

...So if Floyd did "absolutely nothing", what the other guy do? Because the judges can actually see the punches being landed. Jabs aren't power punches, but they still very much count. Wladimir Klitschko was landing like 7 punches in each of the early rounds of the Sultan Ibragimov fight. The problem for Sultan? He was only landing like three. So yeah, that's how that goes.

The commissions lately have been emphasizing judges scoring more even rounds, but it has been more prevalent in MMA and not boxing.  Low output from both fighters doesn't automatically mean even round. The job of the judges IS to figure out a round winner if there is appreciable offense.

There are rounds where someone like Vasyl Lomachenko may have landed 9 or 10 punches. However, the motherfucker doesn't get touched at any point of the three minutes in the round because he is like a boxing robot. So I don't expect it to be any different for a Floyd Mayweather, who has been doing that on a professional level for like 17 or 18 years longer.

There have been occasions where Floyd has went into the boxing version of prevent defense which may warrant a 10-10 round, but that's in like the final round. The difference between 120-108 and 119-109 is only 1 point. Counts the same on your record.

Man, I have really low expectations for this car crash, but I'm still inexplicably excited.  As nuts as it sounds, I think "Conor won't land a punch" is the likeliest outcome, with McGregor actually winning being kinda farfetched.  It'd be fascinating watching the talking heads come unglued if Conor somehow did hand Mayweather his first loss. Someone on ESPN made the comment that, as intriguing as this is, it'd be even more compelling if either guy was somewhat likable.  Not sure I agree, but, yeah, this is really well-booked for a heel vs. heel feud.

I don't think I've even been so excited to throw my money into a (metaphorical) hole before. 

10 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

moneybelt.jpg

What Floyd gets to add to the pile o belts he has collected in his career

They need to bring in Ted DiBiase to present it.

• Like 1

There's always a chance, right? I don't want to rule out the possibility because there's always a puncher's chance in a fight. But yeah, I'm having a hard time picturing Connor winning.

Do most think Floyd wins by decision or by KO?

I think it is funny that the vast majority of people who believe (or say they believe) that Connor will win have strategies that are either illegal in boxing (elbows and kicks) or designed to win a fight by disqualification.   

No, I have seen way more (either outright stating or implying) of Conor walking Floyd down because Floyd is running. However, common sense should tell folks that you're not landing 35%-45% of your power punches (anything that's not a jab) if you're purposely evading your opponent. Moreover, your opponent would be outlanding you by a wide margin in the final punch count.

That's peculiar considering it's been probably a decade or more since Floyd didn't have his father or Roger in his corner. In that fight, I remember Leonard Ellerbe of all people being his chief second. I'm guessing if it's not Floyd Sr., it will be Nate Jones.

But damn, Roger must be in rough, rough shape. 

This is probably the pro wrestling fan in me, but I'm really looking forward to the spectacle, no matter what happens. Some media outlets are being way too dramatic about it, like on PTI when they act like this is the death of boxing. Mayweather is boxing to the majority of American fans, yea its a circus fight but boxing is a sport famous for mismatching fighters to get a desired result, this isn't changing anything. I don't expect it to be 'good' but I do hope it is at least entertaining in some way.

49 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

This is probably the pro wrestling fan in me, but I'm really looking forward to the spectacle, no matter what happens. Some media outlets are being way too dramatic about it, like on PTI when they act like this is the death of boxing. Mayweather is boxing to the majority of American fans, yea its a circus fight but boxing is a sport famous for mismatching fighters to get a desired result, this isn't changing anything. I don't expect it to be 'good' but I do hope it is at least entertaining in some way.

Yeah, PTI wouldn't be my place for boxing analysis.

But yeah, considering people thought boxing was dead on the eve of Mayweather/DLH and MMA was considered just a fad at that time, I would say a lot of folks don't know what the fuck they're talking about. This whole event is proof positive that it still holds true even ten years later.

The last five years or so (whether you want to talk MMA or boxing) is evidence that if people don't want to see it, they won't pay for it or watch it at all. While I wasn't enthused by some of  the bizarreness and theatrics during the press tour, it would be downright silly to deny that it is exactly the sideshow the vast majority of the people who plan to pay or already have paid for it expected. Sideshows and the resulting storylines come with prize fighting, and this has been the case since the inception of that concept. No one dictates what people want to watch and what they consume in regards to that. That goes for both sides,  obviously including the people shitting on the fight. If someone is talking about the sanctity of boxing (going back to the John Scully tweet in the original thread), they are either an incredible bullshit artist/conman, a person who likes to contradict himself a lot, or just started watching boxing yesterday. The hardcore fans are just as bad as most of the casuals with this. All that shit just makes me want to support this fight even more. 

I'd LOL and then some if get a redo McGregor vs. Aldo ; ).

I'll be listening to BBC Radio 5 Live for the commentary by Mike Costello, best British commentator and Steve Bunce. I'm usually up every day at 4am, sometimes earlier.

On 23/08/2017 at 11:56 PM, AxB said:

It's only £20 in the UK. Still not worth it.

I work for Sky so I get SBO purchases free so i'll be getting it, one of the pleasures I've had this week working in a call centre is every single person from Ireland telling me that Conor is going over and it won't even be close. Gotta hand it to him, his fans seem to believe his hype. I just wish it was 100% legit and only the winner took the purse. Just because i'd love to see how fast it would legit end.

• Like 1

Prediction: McGregor quits on the stool in the 6th or so.  Knows he's getting thrashed and refuses to go back in. Nuthuggers will talk about how smart he is to avoid any further injury, and Mayweather really didn't beat him because all he did was run away from him because he was so scared of Conor's power. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Prediction: McGregor quits on the stool in the 6th or so.  Knows he's getting thrashed and refuses to go back in. Nuthuggers will talk about how smart he is to avoid any further injury, and Mayweather really didn't beat him because all he did was run away from him because he was so scared of Conor's power. 

Think you're spot on, though I'd go a couple more rounds... (I say that only because Floyd loves putting on a show, and I think Conor's too stupid to quit while he can still stand up, his legs will go, just a matter of when...)

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The people putting money on McGregor could have just spent that on Powerball tickets. 

While I agree on the chances, you are underestimating the power (or desperation maybe) of people believing in the "great white hype".  Especially when Mayweather is such an easy person to hate.  Not talking about the legit Irish either

Now how many of these people who actually think he is winning is putting his money where his mouth, probably not that many.  

• Like 2