DVDVR Message Board

Jerry Lewis 1926-2017

Kuetsar

Watched most of the 60's films on Million Dollar Movie type programming as a kid. And the telethon was one of those yearly family rituals right up there with the Superbowl, Wizard of Oz airings, and New Years Eve. One more piece of Old Vegas gone. The magnitude of his influence on comedy is incalculable. RIP.

• Like 1

I honestly don't think any of the Martin and Lewis films are essential viewing. Splitting up was probably the best thing that could have happened. But if I were going to recommend any of them, it would probably be either The Stooge or Living It Up.

• Like 1

I'm stunned that he never won an Oscar or that he isn't heralded as a pioneer in digital playback technology.

I never knew that he came up with the idea of synching monitors with movie and television cameras so that a director could see a shot from all available angles in real time.

Lewis donated his print of it to the Library of Congress a few years ago on the condition it wasn't screened until 2024. I don't know what they would even do with it at that point, regardless of rights issues. 

On 8/21/2017 at 5:05 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Stop killing my dreams

Lewis had a completed version, so it makes the chances of a leak higher now. 

Was sorry to hear of his death. I knew he was getting up in years but thought he was very funny. What was his last TV appearance as an actor? Was it playing Professor Frink's dad on Simpsons?

1 minute ago, Victator said:

Lewis had a completed version, so it makes the chances of a leak higher now. 

Was sorry to hear of his death. I knew he was getting up in years but thought he was very funny. What was his last TV appearance as an actor? Was it playing Professor Frink's dad on Simpsons?

To me his last truly great appearance of any kind will be no-selling the questions of an idiot interviewer who keeps asking him what it's like to be so goddamn old.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

To me his last truly great appearance of any kind will be no-selling the questions of an idiot interviewer who keeps asking him what it's like to be so goddamn old.

Few things were funnier than cranky Jerry Lewis ripping apart dumb interviewers that wanted to talk about his movies when Jerry wanted to talk about the telethon.

• Like 1