DVDVR Message Board

GFW Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 9/14/17

*Taped for Xplosion: Pagano def. Cody Martin

GFW Impact Wrestling - Airing September 14, 2017 from Orlando, FL

*Garza Jr. def. Braxton Sutter (w/ Allie) with a second rope moonsault. After the match, Braxton & Allie argued but eventually left together.

*Ethan Carter III def. El Hijo del Fantasma via split decision to retain the GFW Grand Championship. Hector Guerrero replaced Bruce Prichard as a judge. After the match, Fantasma argued with Hector. AAA's Pagano joined Fantasma and attacked EC3 until Eddie Edwards made the save.

*Grado def. William Weeks in his farewell match. Afterwards, Grado says tomorrow his plane is going back to Glasgow. Joseph Park comes out and announces he's sponsoring Grado's VISA. Grado gets to stay in the US and they celebrate.

*Trevor Lee def. Sonjay Dutt(c) to win the X Division Championship in a Falls Count Anywhere match that ended outside the Impact Zone with interference from Caleb Konley.

*Taya Valkyrie def. Amber Nova.

*Johnny Impact def. Low Ki in a #1 contenders match. After the match, Eli Drake came out to stare down Johnny while Chris Adonis attacked from behind.

*Bobby Lashley comes to the ring. Lashley has to make a choice, MMA or Wrestling. He picks MMA and he's going back to his real friends at America's Top Team. Lashley calls out Moose and they brawl through the crowd. The ATT Fighters get involved and lay out Moose in the ring.

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Why didn't Joseph Park just sponsor Grado at the start of this?? Lol

Exactly what I was going to post.

It is kind of a metaphor for TNA/GFW/Impact, though: Go for the hare-brained hail mary first, fail, then try the simpler easier solution to less reaction.

Really, the company should've been the ones sponsoring him if his work visa expired.  They should have Cornette explain that Prichard wanted to release him but he never bothered to tell Grado he was fired.  I guess, the future spoilers kind of explain why Park was wasting Grado's time trying to get him to marry a Canadian to stay in America.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, Infinit said:

Why didn't Joseph Park just sponsor Grado at the start of this?? Lol

I love that you are doing your best to embrace the kayfabe even though we all know that the "start of this" was like a day or two prior to taping.

Cornette doesn't hate comedy, he just doesn't like the huge part it's taking in what should be, to him, serious events.  Not so much the content as the placement and timing.

Grado isn't exactly pushed as a worldbeater and his stuff's usually contained to his own segments, and the crowd loves him and (I think) he gets decent ratings.  Can't ask for much more than that.

Cornette was the comedy relief manager for the Midnights, so I have no idea why they think he's in the SERIOUS BUSNESS~! camp. 

I suppose people think that because he's a Southern booking mark and isn't into matches that are blatantly screwball like some of the stuff in Japan or even the WWE.

You probably won't see Cornette putting a title on a ladder or booking something like the Mae Young Gives Birth To A Hand deal.

The Ladder gimmick in DDT was pure genius though right down to the formal retirement ceremony.

Pretty good matches in Garza/Braxton, EC3/Fantasma, and Johnny/Low Ki. Seems weird that they intended to put Ki back in the X Division after he's had great showings in this run in the main event mix. Fun Lashley/Moose brawl to end the show and dug what was shown of the Crash 4 way tag.

The Crash 4 way was filmed like an NFL films documentary and was flippin awesome.  

Genuinely thought Pagano was Crazzy Steve for a minute.

Decent show, Cornette was great in his segments "oh, now he's polite"

avoiding spoilers is 100% improving my enjoyment of the stuffing / potatoes.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 5:31 AM, J.T. said:

Cornette was the comedy relief manager for the Midnights, so I have no idea why they think he's in the SERIOUS BUSNESS~! camp.

Cornette was not comedy relief.  He was the heat.  He was the fruity booty mama's boy manager that every man, woman, and child in the crowd knew they could beat up but he was also the mastermind behind the dastardly heels that kept cheating and beating their favorites so anytime he got his comeuppance, they go banana and if he didn't they also go banana and actually riot and then sell-out the next event to see him finally suffer some consequences and repercussions.

So I understand his serious business vibe cause there was real money and real danger involved in what he did unlike today where it's all about becoming an internet meme so you can sell t-shirts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:09 PM, BEN! said:

Cornette was not comedy relief. 

Cornette once got his face smashed into a cake, had the most hilarious training angle that led up to a handicap match, and has lost a match to a ninja turtle.  IIRC he's also had his head shaved once.

He definitely supplied the heat, but the blow off of the angles where Cornette got the short end usually ended with his humiliation.  I don't remember too many heels whose defeats almost always included the crowd laughing at him.

Cornette used to be a master of concluding angles with satisfying amounts of self depreciating humor.  I have no idea when he lost the ability to laugh at himself.

Cornette has:

taken a cake at least 5 times

Had his head shaved

worn mama cornette’s dress

worn a baby bonnet/drank from a baby bottle

saw his jacket used to wash a dog

jaw broken by baby doll 

did angle in his bedroom surrounded by stuffed animals

• 3 weeks later...

It is a good thing this show was taped months ago AND that TNA is such an irrelevant wrestling product right now because can you imagine the problems if someone like Corey Graves or Booker T would have said something like 'look at the way she is dressed she is asking for it"  this week like Josh did in the Sutter match