DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN *IS* WRESTLING AGAIN

RIPPA

• 4 months later...

While doing media in Abu Dhabi this weekend, Bryan Danielson was asked the direct question about whether he would team with Shane McMahon against Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn at WrestleMania, and he gave a very interesting answer.

"I don't know and I don't think they know," Danielson told The National in the United Arab Emirates. "I think it all depends on whether or not I get cleared.

"As of this moment, as of today (this interview was conducted several hours ago), I am not cleared by WWE. I have done everything in my power, everything they have asked me to do, and I have gone above and beyond as far as, `Okay, what doctors do you need me to see. Send me to any doctor you want, any doctor that you want and lets get their feedback on what is going on with me.' So far, every doctor has cleared me that they have sent me to and there is a chance. I used to think that the percentage of the WWE even clearing me was low. I think with the stuff that I have done it has gone a little higher but I don't know how much higher. With how everything is, there is one way to go if I don't get cleared and there is another way to go if I am cleared. I am hoping to be cleared, but I don't know which way it goes."

The angle that was shot and the change in the original WrestleMania plans of late involving McMahon, Owens, and Zayn, reflects that something has changed.

This is a situation we've been monitoring closely for a long time. There has been movement over the past month and protocols that have taken place. There are new doctors who have cleared him in recent months after his belief that his brain has responded favorably to hyperbaric chamber treatment, a treatment that football legend Joe Namath has been doing and has claimed great results from. Danielson first found out about this treatment about one year ago. My feeling is that at this point, if he does get cleared, they would do an immediate storyline and make an announcement of the tag team match.

A few weeks ago we had received certain information about strong moves by him to attempt to get cleared and last week, as noted by the tease in the Observer this week, the specifics that if he is cleared he would be in the tag team match was noted.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/daniel-bryan-gives-interesting-answer-about-possible-wm-return-253796?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I've had my concerns for quite awhile about Daniel returning to the ring.  And there's still those concerns.  But if he manages to get cleared while on WWE's watch and he's in the tag match then I'll admittedly be pretty damn excited to see his comeback match.

Are there levels of medical clearance? Hogan and Flair talked about being cleared when they came back from TNA, but there was never any plan to use them in ring beyond what we saw. Bret's match with Vince was obviously more of an angle, but he also worked some other matches where he'd do the five moves of doom and just not really bump. 

Is it in for a penny in for a pound? If they clear Bryan for a tag match where he just has some offense after Shane takes all of the bumps does that mean he's actually cleared going forward? 

I dont know if i would trust DB to just have a safe no bump match, even he was explicitly told that was all he was allowed to do. 

I would not say it's 100% impossible he would disregard orders, possibly to get himself fired/out of his contract. 

I'd think that if Bryan isn't wrestling at Mania, then he will never wrestle for WWE again, yeah? His contract is coming up, and if they won't clear him for Mania, they never will. He'll let his contract expire, and will then head to Mexico or NJPW to end out his career?

35 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Corey Graves has mentioned being on the “Do not touch” list due to his injuries, so presumably there levels of some sort.

Paige is definitely on the "Do Not Touch" list as they are terrified to have her doing anything around people

37 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I dont know if i would trust DB to just have a safe no bump match, even he was explicitly told that was all he was allowed to do. 

I would not say it's 100% impossible he would disregard orders, possibly to get himself fired/out of his contract. 

It’s privably better PR for them to clear him, then fire him when he disregards whatever safety protocols they put in place.

10 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

It’s privably better PR for them to clear him, then fire him when he disregards whatever safety protocols they put in place.

Is it, though? If the plan is for him to not be wrestling in WWE, why wouldn't they rather an amicable parting that by the way doesn't involve fans AGAIN getting on their case for not making him a main eventer?

• Like 1

That's kind of what I was driving at with my question. I don't think it benefits them to put him back in a ring in any kind of capacity where there are caveats and he's not allowed to go balls to the wall or there's no future for him either part or full time. They're just poking the bear for no reason. 

This is news I should be happier about, but so much depends on how things go. There's gonna be a degree of anxiety to every one of his matches for... a long time. For now I'll just hope he's actually healthy--by whatever standards pro wrestling has--and this isn't merely to keep him from ever going elsewhere.

• Like 4