DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN *IS* WRESTLING AGAIN

RIPPA

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:26 PM, Ace said:

Now we're getting hyperbolic. If we're truly concerned with safety, the entire business should be shut down along with any combat sport and the NFL.

We're heading toward that path and it might be for the best. It's not going to happen overnight. But in my lifetime I'd expect to see the NFL evolve into something completely different than what we see. I could also see combat sports require headgear and go with smaller gloves or go bare knuckle (with the theory that less padding means you're less likely to do something that will hurt you).

It's certainly possible for DB to work a safe style. Bret Hart "worked" matches for the WWE after his stroke. 70 year old men get in there and wrestle all over the world. Steve Austin was able to wrestle for years and not get dropped on his neck after he destroyed it. Yeah, it eventually broke down but he got four very hard years on top. 

Like with football, you can break it down that any sort of bump at all has a sub-concussive effect that is bad for the brain. For that reason, these sports should be banned. I'm completely in the camp that children being allowed to play football is child abuse at this point. 

If he's cleared by non-WWE doctors and doesn't get dropped on his head every night my hunch is he'll be okay. As noted, can he do that? I mean, if it's the deal where one stiff clothesline could possibly kill him, absolutely in no way should he wrestle. I mean, he could do walk and brawls like 2005 Double J and wrestle twenty years if he wants. 

Can you really see Bryan coming back and working any different than he was working in most of his WWE tenure? That doesn't seem like him. He'd want to do it his way. Now, if he had the infamous headlock match with Claudio constantly, that might be one way to do it or if he stuck to matwork and strikes away from his head with minimal bumping and only on simpler things, no superplexes and other dumb shit for someone with brain injuries.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 10:30 PM, Ace said:

I seem to have forgotten when this board became neurology experts. How the flying fuck do we know what shape his brain is in?

Well, you've heard from one guy with two documented concussions... Here's from another with two.  No, I've never had convulsions or a seizure, and I quit playing ball some eight years ago. Had I known then what I know now about concussions I probably would have quit in my mid-40s rather than aggravate the risk of more damage.

• Like 1

Everyone aim for OSJ's head on the field! Er...never mind that. I await Bryan poisoning himself with colloidal silver, having chelation therapy and finally going to a tribal nutcase somewhere in Africa that is responsible for the killing of folks with albinism for magical remedies. Yes, that is a thing. Sadly.

Edit: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/albinos-malawi-face-violence-fueled-superstition-n345636

Edited by Ryan

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

Everyone aim for OSJ's head on the field! Er...never mind that. I await Bryan poisoning himself with colloidal silver, having chelation therapy and finally going to a tribal nutcase somewhere in Africa that is responsible for the killing of folks with albinism for magical remedies. Yes, that is a thing. Sadly.

Edit: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/albinos-malawi-face-violence-fueled-superstition-n345636

Don't disparage the good name of African tribal medicine.  Their treatment for a knockout is second to none.

I do think it's kind of funny that Bryan, after the first injury, did some media where he was going on about Paul Farmer, and how ridiculous the existence of Jeff Farmer as the fake Sting was relatively, and how if he couldn't wrestle, then maybe he should be going around the world doing good. 

On 8/28/2017 at 2:08 AM, Brysynner said:

We're heading toward that path and it might be for the best. It's not going to happen overnight. But in my lifetime I'd expect to see the NFL evolve into something completely different than what we see. I could also see combat sports require headgear and go with smaller gloves or go bare knuckle (with the theory that less padding means you're less likely to do something that will hurt you).

Bare knuckle is the reason those old boxing matches could go a ridiculous amount of rounds. You'd have guys fucking up their hands, but the heads would be better. . . .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will come in late on this topic, but here is my take. I was always on the fence, but my wife watches "Total Bellas" or whatever it's called. This episode features DB as a husband and future father. Kind of emotional and after watching it I don't think I am cool with DB wrestling again. He is a husband and dad, he doesn't have to do it to make a living and if he does, I'm not watching. And I'm uncomfortable with it. 

Thing is, I wouldn't have much to say on the family front but that is out there for all to see. 

In the end it's up to him, but I am not supporting it in any way. Oh and since this thread was bumped after a few weeks of dormancy. HE'S GOING TO DIE IMMEDIATELY THE MOMENT HE IS TOUCHED! A PUFF OF SMOKE HE'LL BE!

• 1 month later...

I am at the point where I think both sides have some sort of deal worked out because I can't figure out any other reason they haven't told him to knock this shit off

Granted - that is working under the assumption that they are monitoring folks social media which is always up in the air

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am at the point where I think both sides have some sort of deal worked out because I can't figure out any other reason they haven't told him to knock this shit off

Granted - that is working under the assumption that they are monitoring folks social media which is always up in the air

What can they do, release him?

Writer who never worked a match on WWE television vs WrestleMania main eventer who might actually move the needle in a building that holds more than 500 people have different rules. No way Bryan would get fired. Sent home to sit out his contract, possibly.

I know its not the case but......if this were just a long game by DB this would be the greatest long con in the history of this great business(©Schiavone). Think about it. When this contract is up, he would have literally no leverage to WWE because no one is going to hire him to be a GM or in a non-wrestling role. But if he is going to wrestle, that presents all type of financial opportunities and really puts WWE in somewhat of a bind and if they want to keep him, they would have to offer him more money. 

Having said that, when I see the GIF of him taking a german from Pentagon off the apron through a table, well, yup. 

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

I expect him to immediately be booked against a returning from 900th injury Low Ki and reading both ended up in comas.

And they'd still kick out at 2.................months that is 

• Haha 1