DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN *IS* WRESTLING AGAIN

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

You can work a very safe lucha style (though I doubt he would choose that route)

He has said in the past that he's been studying and working on a style that would probably be safer. What  "Safer" means for Daniel Bryan, remains to be seen.

I don't mean to minimize things, but everyone in a ring taking bumps is doing irreparable harm to their brains, and ultimately, a lot of these guys might well end up in wheelchairs because the human body is not meant to take bunches of back bumps five to six times a week. 

There also isn't really a safer style, unless he works WoS and barely ever bumps at all. Even if he comes back and cuts out the dumb neck drops and head dives, basic back bumps are just as harmful anyway. In other words, to be concerned about Bryan wrestling is to be concerned about everyone else, too, and arguing that Bryan wrestling would be dumb because he has a family applies to every other wrestler with a family. Ultimately, I support the guy doing what he wants to do if his wife is cool with it, but I'm not more concerned for his health than I am for anyone else who wrestles a style that goes beyond taking a very small handful of bumps once or twice a month. 

I predict him doing a diving headbutt in his first match back and missing it just to show everyone up, so I'm a bit scared to see one of my favorites doing anything in the ring again.

Human cockfighting! Human cockfighting! Damn it, where' s a good .gif of John McCain lurching about trying to grab Obama's ass after the debate when you need one? But I digress, and I haven't even started yet... Okay, yeah, so... Things that aren't cool to watch for $200, Alex...

Dog fighting -  I'm not much of a dog person, but I have no desire to watch something like this.

Cock fighting - I will admit that some years back I spent an afternoon watching this. I don't get it. I know that roosters are nasty, vicious critters that don't require much encouragement to kill each other, but I just don't see the point. Roosters A & B jump up. Rooster B kicks Rooster A. Rooster A lies there while Rooster B kicks the shit out of it. Or,  Roosters A & B jump up. Rooster A kicks Rooster B. Rooster B lies there while Rooster A kicks the shit out of it. Yeah, a Filipino friend of mine in Seattle is really into this, there are several different magazines devoted to the "sport" that one can buy and it's a multi-million dollar enterprise in several parts of the world; but then NASCAR is a big deal in some places, too.

Pro Wrestling/MMA/Boxing/Football - Oh, these are dangerous and people can get permanently injured? The hell, you say.  Let's see, in the previous "sports", only the NASCAR drivers can be said to be involved in the decision-making process regarding participation in the "sport" (though I'd argue that if your last name is "Petty" or "Earnhart" much of that decision making process is pre-determined), leaving that very small sampling aside, the main difference here is that the poor animals lack the ability to make a rational decision about participation. Fuck it, chickens as a species get a pretty raw deal from us  because they happen to taste good. However, it's a lot easier to justify eating chicken two or three times a week than it would be to spend the weekend watching cockfighting.

I like pro wrestling and MMA, I've been following the latter since UFC events were in the single digits. Not too long ago I watched an event where Sakuraba was fighting some Dutch or German guy and wound up eating 47 unprotected shots to the face while he slipped on a hold. He ended up breaking the guy's foot, then his ankle and was working on the knee when the guy tapped. Okay, no one has ever accused Sak of having anything resembling the commonsense that God gave a ground-squirrel ,  but that's only an extreme example. MMA is dangerous and people are going to get hurt. Boxing is far more dangerous as the object is to cause temporary brain damage (a knockout). Football may be more dangerous than either, I wouldn't know, I don't watch it, but it sure seems like it leads to all sorts of nasty head injuries. 

My hypocrisy has its limitations, so I'm not to going to start wringing my hands and crying the blues because a guy who has provided me with a great deal of entertainment at the risk of his health wants to do so again. I'd have to say that Brian Danielson is much closer to the reality of what getting back in the ring will involve than I am. Do I hope that he (and Shibata) will exercise some level of restraint in their matches? Sure. Will I watch regardless of how they choose to work? Certainly. Am I at all concerned that some teenager, somewhere may choose to idolize one of these guys and make stupid life choices as a result? No, I don't care; look, if some kid's idol (to the extent that they will emulate their behavior) is a pro wrestler, than said kid has issues to deal with far beyond anything that can be solved on a message board.

Arguably the style of modern wrestling could not be worse for DB to come back to. I would genuinely fear him returning to PWG or NJPW.  it's not like he's going to work in 80's Memphis.

If he does come back then I'd hope he works a very light schedule and changes his style.

• Like 1

I'm not 100% behind it but but hey D-Bry doesn't need my permission. I am curious as to where D-Bry ends up. He's leaving when his contract is up to go wrestle I mean he's said it on Talking Smack before. I do wanna see D-Bry is Miz at some point in my life though that's a Wrestlemania match if I've ever heard of one. I could see D-Bry signing some kind of combo deal with ROH/CMLL/New Japan as they all have some kind of partnership.

Bryan could actually be massive if he goes to ROH or NJPW and tries to stop people doing head drops and dives.

Kind of like The Revival mixed with ECW Mick Foley trying to stop the hardcore violence.

Him rolling around the ring, trasitioning from hold to hold like ZSJ while cutting promos about how guys like Omega are dangerous manics would work for me.

If he does the dropkicks and diving headbutt after taking a dragon suplex though then he can fuck right off.

• Like 1

Surely a compromise could be met where he basically works a latter day Foley/Bret type schedule, yearly surprise entrant in the Rumble, addition to big multi-man tag matches, surprise partner for underdog babyface on Raw occasionally, with maybe a farewell match that ties up some loose ends?

Miz accidentally giving him another concussion, and sending him to his Hollywood doctors all expenses paid, who all deem him unable to wrestle again as a means of ducking him, only to make a full recovery thanks to DDP Yoga and Ricky Steamboat teaching him to speak again is where its at.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Miz accidentally giving him another concussion, and sending him to his Hollywood doctors all expenses paid, who all deem him unable to wrestle again as a means of ducking him, only to make a full recovery thanks to DDP Yoga and Ricky Steamboat teaching him to speak again is where its at.

qd1m5.gif

• Like 1

I think people underestimate how many dangerous bumps Lawler took in his prime. He was just very gifted at taking bumps and not doing serious damage. 

Bryan should do whatever is going to make him happy. In the end he is the only one who will live with the fallout good or bad. A lot of this does sound more like WWE was covering their own ass rather than a genuine concern for his safety. 

If he was cleared by two different doctors that should be enough. 

I would feel better about all of this, and be more in the "WWE is covering their asses" boat, if not for him talking immediately after his retirement about how he was hiding seizures and such from people around him.  When I heard that back then my immediate thought was "my god thank god he's never gonna wrestle again" as beyond all other speculation that's a legit bright red flag.  I'd also be more comfortable going "hey, it's his life" if he didn't just have a baby girl.  I hope it works out, am a big fan of his.  I don't think after Benoit and a few others I could bring myself to watch any of his matches should he resume his career, not judging those who could but it's just too potentially grim.

I love Brie's line of 'just remember you have a daughter.'

Speaks volumes right there.  Sounds like she has thrown in the towel and has a foot out the door.

Didn't Bryan talk about going to Australia?  I picked that up from Meltzer.  He wanted to build the scene.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Speaks volumes right there.  Sounds like she has thrown in the towel and has a foot out the door

where did you get your PhD in Marriage/Family Therapy again?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

I love Brie's line of 'just remember you have a daughter.'

Speaks volumes right there.  Sounds like she has thrown in the towel and has a foot out the door.

Didn't Bryan talk about going to Australia?  I picked that up from Meltzer.  He wanted to build the scene.

No, he was talking about Ospreay there because Danielson mentioned Ospreay during the E&C podcast I believe.

On 8/19/2017 at 11:34 AM, Ace said:

FWIW, Alvarez's brain seems worse off than Danielson's. 

If I have to listen to one more match or segment summary where Alvarez, or Meltzer for that matter, transpose wrestlers' names to the point where I have no clue what's going on...

On 8/19/2017 at 11:17 AM, Curt McGirt said:

You just know he was watching the G1 Climax on NJ World and drooling at the possibilities

"Oh man so many awesome ways I can end my career for good and maybe get brain bleed!  I can't fucking wait!"

On 8/19/2017 at 1:42 PM, Beech27 said:

He actually does talk just a little about watching the G1 on the Edge and Christian Podcast. Mostly he's impressed with ZSJ,

Okay, he definitely has brain damage.  "Do you enjoy ZSJ matches" is on the new CTE questionnaire that's coming out soon.

On 8/19/2017 at 3:04 PM, odessasteps said:

He also talked about guys like Lawler and Funk being able to work until their 60/70s.

Heel Bryan working with no bumps, all stalling and hiding a phantom foreign object for 20 minutes, is probably the only way I'd want to see him back.

• Like 2

Bryan was talking on Twitter not too long ago about getting deep into RINGS tapes. Working a match that is basically an exaggerated rolling session with a talented opponent, with a couple of bumps for the big nights, I think it could work for him and in the modern landscape he'd have a good range of opponents. He also doesn't need to work a full schedule to get paid; if his name appears on a New Japan card then expect Reddit/squaredcircle to break for people posting HOW DO I SIGN UP TO NJPW WORLD

over the years i've read a bunch of articles about what the future of the nfl will look like. whether the biggest sport in the country will even exist given that you cannot play without suffering brain damage.

here's a story from a month ago. CTE found in 99% of studied brains from deceased NFL players the story explains that out of 110 nfl players brains, 111 had cte. out of 53 brains of college football players, 48 had cte.

i have a hard time believing that wrestlers, working the schedule they do with no pads or protection are in better shape than football players.  

which leads to the odd question; if everyone else gets to give themselves permanent brain damage, why not daniel bryan. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

over the years i've read a bunch of articles about what the future of the nfl will look like. whether the biggest sport in the country will even exist given that you cannot play without suffering brain damage.

here's a story from a month ago. CTE found in 99% of studied brains from deceased NFL players the story explains that out of 110 nfl players brains, 111 had cte. out of 53 brains of college football players, 48 had cte.

i have a hard time believing that wrestlers, working the schedule they do with no pads or protection are in better shape than football players.  

which leads to the odd question; if everyone else gets to give themselves permanent brain damage, why not daniel bryan. 

I think that study is flawed if out of 110 nfl players studied 111 had cte. Unless one of them had two brains

• Like 1
  • Haha 2