DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN *IS* WRESTLING AGAIN

RIPPA

One of the third rails of the board is Daniel Bryan and his broken brain. Since two large pieces of "news" have come out this week - I am starting its own thread in the hopes that it doesn't outbreak all over the rest of the board. I am a fool

First (Spawning from a Brie Bella interview)

It pretty much looks like a lock that Bryan will be back in the ring in one year, whether it’s here or with New Japan, ROH or somebody else. Brie Bella did an interview with the “From the Top Rope” podcast where she said that Bryan has been undergoing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, which is something that Joe Namath touted has helped him battle cognitive issues from his years in football. I do know that Bryan first looked at this therapy most likely around WrestleMania week for a time line. She said he’s undergone about 40 treatments all over the country and she fully supports his return if he gets the okay from doctors. “I told Bryan, `You do have a daughter, so always remember that. But if the doctors finally give you the green light, I say Go. This is your dream and passion. You have one life to live and I will never hold you back, because I love to wrestle and I would hate if someone told me you can’t do it. And if the WWE doesn’t allow it, then I said, go somewhere else. It’s all on you. Obviously, he would love to be able to get back in that WWE ring, but I know for a fact my husband is going to find his way back to the ring. He honestly is."

(From the 8/21 WON)

Second (from Bryan being on the Edge and Christian podcast)

Daniel Bryan was the guest on Edge and Christian’s podcast this week. One of the highlights from the interview was him discussing his forced retirement due to his concussions, primarily the lesion that was found in his brain. He says that he was originally cleared by three different doctors, two of which WWE recommended. WWE still would not clear him, and instead they sent him to do some experimental testing, which is where the lesion was found. When he told this to one of the doctors that originally cleared him, that doctor told him that a lesion was a vague term when it came to brain injuries, that something may be there, but not necessarily a lesion. When talking about his brain and reflexes, Bryan noted that he found out the testing they did on him, and the results thereafter, noted that while his reflexes were slower than that of NFL or other athletes that have taken the test, they were not slower than a normal person, which he considers himself to be. You can listen to the show in full here; the concussion talk starts around the two hour mark.

http://www.f4wonline.com/daily-updates/daily-update-daniel-bryan-junior-dos-santos-impact-241131

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

... she said that Bryan has been undergoing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, which is something that Joe Namath touted has helped him battle cognitive issues from his years in football. 

k....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy hasn't been clinically approved for this as far as I know. I'm sure there are studies and anecdotal evidence, but it's still borderline quackery at best. I don't need to see him in a wheelchair with dementia in 15 years.

• Like 1

Unless he lives next door to you, you won't have to.

I don't really have a reaction to this.  I think it's quite likely he'll find someone to clear him to wrestle, I doubt it will be at a WWE event.  I don't feel like it's the right decision for him and his family, but it's his life and family and even if i was privy to enough of the details to make an informed decision, it's still not my decision to make.  I don't necessarily want to see him in the ring again, but if the match and opponent interest me, I probably will watch.  I'm hoping Shibata somehow makes a return so it's hypocritical to get on my high horse and condemn Daniel Bryan for trying to come back.

After reading his book it was pretty obvious he would come back. Not just because of his obsession with wrestling, but the nonchalant way he wrote about concussions. 

I would hate to see him in a tough spot in 15 years, but it's his decision and he is smart enough to know the risks. I'll most definitely watch no matter where he goes. He is the GOAT after all.

If anything, I was hoping accidents like Shibata, Honma, and now Takayama would reinforce how little people should mess around with their heads. There's a difference between "bravely overcoming the odds" and "stupidly risking your health" and I'm not sure any wrestler knows what side their on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

If anything, I was hoping accidents like Shibata, Honma, and now Takayama would reinforce how little people should mess around with their heads. There's a difference between "bravely overcoming the odds" and "stupidly risking your health" and I'm not sure any wrestler knows what side their on.

Aren't Honma and Takayama both neck injuries?  Honma taking a draping DDT and Takayama on a botched sunset flip?

I have my fears just because when he was forced to retire, the fact he was hiding the fact he was having tremors or other things scared the shit out of me.  If he was to come back and work like All Japan 6 Man comedy matches with the old guys, I'd be worried but maybe ok, but I don't know if he has it in him to not be doing topes and things that probably got him here in the first place.

So he's getting some super experimental sci-fi treatment meant to heal your brain so you can live a normal life after a head trauma. But he's doing it so that he can convince people to let him go and traumatize his brain some more.  Hold on a second, I need to take my blood pressure meds, otherwise my doctor might get annoyed that I'm keynoting the salt-lick festival again this year.

Even though he has pretty much a guaranteed income being in the industry he enjoys, but just not doing exactly the thing he would rather be doing within that industry. Not that he would be "in the industry" as like a technician or something. I mean, he still gets to be on camera and in front of the crowds and have theme music and they still pop huge for him. But, you see, they don't pop for him for the reasons he prefers.

I mean it's his call. He's only hurting himself. And his family. And any dumb teenager he might be a role-model to. And possibly the industry he loves. But on the bright side he might be a big boost to the home-care industry and, hey, the personal-saliva-suction-device industry needs its George Foreman too, right!

2-Better-Off-Dead.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

If you doctor shop long enough, eventually you'll find one that will give you what you're looking for.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You just know he was watching the G1 Climax on NJ World and drooling at the possibilities

He actually does talk just a little about watching the G1 on the Edge and Christian Podcast. Mostly he's impressed with ZSJ, but he also mentions Omega. (Both guys he worked with back when he was the biggest independent star in the world, and they were... not.) He's also called Nagata the best in the world at one point, so you figure he wanted to see that swan song.

4 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Unless he lives next door to you, you won't have to.

He'd be at shows and probably in other junk over the years like old NFl players have been.

3 hours ago, EVA said:

10 years ago I was soundly convinced that Kurt Angle was going off to certain death or paralysis in TNA, and that turned out...okay?

Kurt was a raging pillhead and what not for at least another 7 years after that. He had a bunch of DUI arrests. He likely just bucked the odds.

32 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

He also talked about guys like Lawler and Funk being able to work until their 60/70s.

as i said in another thread, he put over blue panther and tenryu in that pod. He must secretly post here. 

Funk is insane. Lawler's style was way more conducive to longevity. I can't speak for Panther, but Tenryu took a lot of punishment. He can't feel too good in the morning.

You can work a very safe lucha style (though I doubt he would choose that route)

The issue though is - as seen with the Takayama injury - wrestling is always going to be a dangerous no matter what you are doing