DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN *IS* WRESTLING AGAIN

RIPPA

2 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

over the years i've read a bunch of articles about what the future of the nfl will look like. whether the biggest sport in the country will even exist given that you cannot play without suffering brain damage.

here's a story from a month ago. CTE found in 99% of studied brains from deceased NFL players the story explains that out of 110 nfl players brains, 111 had cte. out of 53 brains of college football players, 48 had cte.

i have a hard time believing that wrestlers, working the schedule they do with no pads or protection are in better shape than football players.  

which leads to the odd question; if everyone else gets to give themselves permanent brain damage, why not daniel bryan. 

All the brains for the case were those expected to have CTE in the first place.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ace said:

All the brains for the case were those expected to have CTE in the first place.

cite? Is that a popular view? 

The only two wrestler brains tested by the Concussion Legacy Foundation have been Benoit and Test. Both had CTE. Test wasn't exactly a hardcore wrestler. 

The foundation has been accused of having a conflict with the WWE. WWE donates $400k per year to the foundation and HHH sits on the board. No wrestler brains have been tested by the foundation since 2009.

In the last year it was confirmed that Balls and Axl had CTE. Not exactly a surprise, but still. 

I give a shit, as much as one can possibly give a shit about a person I don't know, about his long-term health. But some people will just put themselves through the wringer because being above the every day whilst in pain is better than obscurity, safety, and health. I'll support him (as best I can, as a person he doesn't know) whichever decision he makes. I quit a sport because of injury and it bums me out that I can't do it...and I was nowhere near as good at it as Bryan is at his.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

cite? Is that a popular view? 

It's covered in the full-text article. The brains were donated by people who had experienced symptoms, and so there's pretty substantial selection bias at work there. Cynically, you could say the finding is essentially that "ex-players who think they have CTE are right", but media articles on scientific writing are forever lacking in nuance. And frankly I'm not sure the exaggeration is wrong; playing football at all is probably pretty bad for you. But this isn't quite as conclusive as it's been painted. 

• Like 1

The full text article does state that all the brains were suspected to have CTE but they also point out that even if those were the only NFL players who had CTE that died in the time period of the study that it would still be a little over 9% of NFL players developed CTE. So at best it's about 1 in 10 NFL players will have debilitating long term brain damage. I wouldn't be surprised if wrestlers were at least of equal risk but who knows.

He's really weird and fringe about that shit. He partially credited his Naturopath with fixing his neck issues before his last comeback. That's not a normal Doctor.

I think the helmets and all that protective gear give football players a misguided sense of security so they believe they're invincible and you end up with these super strong, super fast, elite athletes charging at each other at full speed with mal-intent and just like that, instant drain bamage upon collision.

Really, any physical activity is going to make your brain bounce around your skull with nothing but that thin layer of brain jelly protecting it so unless you're not doing any physical activity at all like the fatasses in Wall-E then the risk of brain damage is always going to be there.  Not shoot headbutting things on purpose does a lot to prevent debilitating brain damage though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

He's really weird and fringe about that shit. He partially credited his Naturopath with fixing his neck issues before his last comeback. That's not a normal Doctor.

I remember all the way back to the time he did that pod with F4W, when he still had his tiny house with no TV in Aberdeen. That may be when he wanted to join the Peace Corps. 

1 minute ago, BEN! said:

I think the helmets and all that protective gear give football players a misguided sense of security so they believe they're invincible and you end up with these super strong, super fast, elite athletes charging at each other at full speed with mal-intent and just like that, instant drain bamage upon collision.

Really, any physical activity is going to make your brain bounce around your skull with nothing but that thin layer of brain jelly protecting it so unless you're not doing any physical activity at all like the fatasses in Wall-E then the risk of brain damage is always going to be there.  Not shoot headbutting things on purpose does a lot to prevent debilitating brain damage though.

If soccer players have to retire because of too many headers, like Tyler Twellman did, then football and wrestling and boxing are just a million times worse. 

I understand it's a little foolish for D-Bry to return to the ring but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I selfishly want to see him in Seattle wrestling in a Defy ring.

And just to tick off some people here, I'd like to see him vs Darby Allen in a "who can shorten their life more" match. 

I feel badly for Brie.  I can imagine that DB is probably miserable and she's having to mother him as well as the baby. and hopefully he's not too much of a douchebag when he's at home reminiscing about the old days.

Hopefully he'll figure out that having to rely on a mobility scooter to get around your house can also be pretty miserable and will rethink this return to the ring.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If soccer players have to retire because of too many headers, like Tyler Twellman did, then football and wrestling and boxing are just a million times worse. 

Do you have a link about this?  I'm not doubting it, I'd like more info.  I hadn't heard this before.  My father actually used to play semi-pro soccer overseas and he would complain of the occasional headache after games where he did a lot of headers (he played forward).

23 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Do you have a link about this?  I'm not doubting it, I'd like more info.  I hadn't heard this before.  My father actually used to play semi-pro soccer overseas and he would complain of the occasional headache after games where he did a lot of headers (he played forward).

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/health/soccer-headers-concussion-study/index.html

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Not a link obv, but the Steve James concussion documentary Head Games has a section on soccer.

• Like 1

As for DB, it's his life, but I don't want to see him become a mess of himself and in 10 years time speak about regrets he had from returning to the ring. I just a lot about the recent Mike Adamle story, the Jim McMahon stories, Tommy Dreamer, and so many others who don't recall conversations they just had, don't know where they're at, don't remember why they're doing what they're doing, etc. 

He could work a safer style that's more strikes and submissions, and less dives to the outside, less flipping dropkicks, and less diving headbutts, but the dude is still going to take bumps from his opponent. He could have worked the safest style in the world and he still had half his brain kicked out of his body by Sheamus and then had the other half squished into goo by Luke Harper. It isn't always so much what moves he's willing to do, it's more about what he's willing to take from his opponent, which will probably always be damn near everything.

the thing is EVERYONE is at this risk, everyone working today is at risk of CTE, be it in WWE or New Japan or the indies. it's just that Bryan has gone past some threshold indicative of what WWE are willing to risk in terms of their insurance indemnity. what steps do we want to see taken that would change this? i'm all for no stiff chairs shots or head-on-head butts, but eliminate bumps? nah. i like them, and wrestlers like them too.

hypocritical is too strong a word, I'm not here to fight and I'm not dying on the hill of 'you must support Danielson coming back to the ring', but i think you have to fully join the dots to other at-risk athletes (that is to say: ALL OF THEM) if you want to play the moral angle.

for me it's his - and all the other dudes who take bumps - fuckin' life man. sure it sucks for his kid if he ends up spannered but he's loaded and his wife understands the risks too and supports him. there are kids out there with both parents who have it a whole lot worse.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I was more disturbed by Bryan spouting all those quack theories on the pod than his possible return to the ring. 

Was he babbling stuff about autism, cancer, fibromyalgia, MS and other garbage?