DVDVR Message Board

MS-1 y Maskare vs. El Dandy y El Satanico, (8/11/89)

Phil Schneider

• 2 months later...

Really cool brawling tag.  Dandy and Satanico have pretty obvious chemistry as a team; their comeback in the first fall was great and one of the better transitions I've ever seen.  Satanico and MS1 really go at it, both bust the other open and there's this awesome revenge spot in the third fall where Dandy is holding MS1 and Satanico just goes nuts biting his cut, spitting the blood out like mist and hitting big punches to the cut.  Lots of really, really great brawling spots; this was one of those really scrappy brawls that seem like a back alley street fight and cool stuff was happening pretty much every moment.  Ending was really great with perfect rudo comeuppance.  This will do well on my ballot.

This is as awesome as it looks on paper. This is a brawl though not a bloody one until the final fall. El Dandy and Satanico mesh really well and MS-1 makes just as great an opponent for Satanico as he did a partner. I loved Dandy's variation on the running around the ring to confuse the rudos spot. Here it was used to separate the rudos to put an end to their double teaming and lead directly to Dandy and Satanico's comeback after being mugged for much of the match so far. The MS-1 vs Satanico brawling during the next two falls is pretty awesome and makes me really want to see a hair vs hair match between these two. Finally we get one of the best low blow finishes of the entire set. Perhaps even the best low blow finish on the set. Nobody has more tricks up their sleeve than Satanico.

• 1 month later...

I really love that confusion spot in the first fall, it's almost like El Dandy is doing the 'skin the cat' but in-ring, weird yet effective. There are also some great teamwork spots including the totally ridiculous double-team submission. Segunda starts with some great teasing and jawing and Dandy jumping Masakre. He also completely faceplants on an attempted flying headbutt which had to hurt. MS-1's splash is cool as Dandy is halfway across the ring and it looks like he really had to dive low to reach him, coming in like a missile. Los Infernales are such a pair of cocksuckers here, Masakre yelling at the crowd, MS-1 kicking Satanico in the face. I had a bad feeling about the ending and then they pull something off that could only happen in lucha but would work anywhere, just brilliant. Could have done with a longer tercera with more violence but the way it wound up is so damn good.

• 11 months later...

Goodness, I got so mixed-up with this match, mistaking Satanico for Maskare throughout.  I guess I just couldn't imagine Dandy and Satanico teaming.  Despite that, I thought this was a fun, vicious match with an effective double-foule ending.  I also liked that transition in the first fall where Dandy evades the rudos and ends up turning the tables with his partner.  The third-fall moment of Dandy holding his opponent while Satanico bites away was intense.  I thought this was plenty violent and can easily see this match in my top 30. 

• 3 weeks later...

This was really awesome and I wish OJ was up to this part in his history lessons so I could know more about why Satanico is feuding with his old Infernales partners. Seems like the real heat is between him and MS-1. This has one of my favorite finishes on the set so far with the rudos managing to get away with a foul on Dandy and then trying the same thing on Satanico who not only avoids it causing MS-1 to kick Masakre low but he also manages to convinces the refs that he was fouled and get the DQ win. There was a lot of other cool moments in this like MS-1 & Satanico on their knees duking it out and Dandy holding MS-1 while Satanico goes nuts on him. Not quite going to make my top 10 but it won't be too far out of it.