DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2K18

odessasteps

So my MyCareer is apparently stuck.  Ladder match at SummerSlam vs. Kevin Owens.   I have to win the US title in the match.  Only one problem - Owens is Intercontinental champion, and that belt isn't even on the line - my MITB briefcase is.  I won the match, did the OMG moment, used the ladder, but it didn't matter - there's no way to win the US title.  Failed objective, and you can't progress without completing it.  

Guess that's the end for this guy until a game patch fixes it (HAHAHAHAHAHA)

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I rented this and I regret even spending the $3 to rent it. It's the same stilted, glitchy garbage as last year. Commentary is just as rotten as ever, even with the new recording. I had a three minute stretch where Corey Graves said the same line seven times. Also, the loot boxes are crap, same as any other game with loot boxes.

I don't get why they haven't written a women's version of MyCareer yet. Sure, the rosters are small, but I fight the same five men in MyCareer anyway, so why not the same five women? I don't think I'm asking too much for a women's career mode. EA UFC 2 had the ability to play entire careers in two different women's division. I also don't get why you can't have the women do even a 10-woman Royal Rumble. Counting DLC, there are 32(!!!) playable women in the game and you can't even do a 10-woman Royal Rumble. It's not even a "well they haven't done one in real life" thing, because you can do women's Elimination Chamber matches and there hasn't been one of those yet.

I don't even know why I'm complaining. I can just set up a women's group in Fire Pro. It's just annoying to see WWE thump their chest about how differently they're treating the women now, but one of their biggest pieces of merch deliberately nerfs women by treating them as sideshows.

Well, I'm happy I didn't fall for buying it. I feel bad for Seth who you know was basically being forced to say how excited he was for 2K18 and how he thought it would be a great wrestling game.

Fire Pro forever!

9 hours ago, Sasha said:

I don't get why they haven't written a women's version of MyCareer yet. Sure, the rosters are small, but I fight the same five men in MyCareer anyway, so why not the same five women? I don't think I'm asking too much for a women's career mode. EA UFC 2 had the ability to play entire careers in two different women's division. I also don't get why you can't have the women do even a 10-woman Royal Rumble. Counting DLC, there are 32(!!!) playable women in the game and you can't even do a 10-woman Royal Rumble. It's not even a "well they haven't done one in real life" thing, because you can do women's Elimination Chamber matches and there hasn't been one of those yet.

I don't even know why I'm complaining. I can just set up a women's group in Fire Pro. It's just annoying to see WWE thump their chest about how differently they're treating the women now, but one of their biggest pieces of merch deliberately nerfs women by treating them as sideshows.

That's pretty indefensible and actually surprising. I bought the deluxe version on pre-order but haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but I had been musing on the idea of putting together a 90s joshi roster. Given the strides the company has apparently made with the women's division in the past few years it's pretty pathetic to underserve that part of the roster and assume that nobody gives a shit. I've been a very passive viewer for quite a while, only watching one or two big shows a year with a buddy and more often than not we've agreed that the women had the best - or damn near the best - matches on those shows. 

Well, that was different.  (Spoilers for the end of MyCareer)

A week after successfully defending the WWE Championship against Rock and HHH at WrestleMania, I was then asked by HHH if I wanted to cash in my Money in the Bank briefcase.  Which I had lost in a screwjob several months before.  Also, did I mention I was WWE Champion?

I said sure.  So later that night, I cashed in Money in the Bank on... myself.   

It did a mirror match in more than the usual way - I was controlling *both* champion and challenger.  I could only do basic punches and enter and exit the ring - I was eventually able to maneuver one out of the ring and one in the ring, for a countout - which was ruled a draw.  Which I guess is technically correct, from a quantum point of view.  

At least I was able to progress - it wasn't a required objective to win/lose the title, so just getting through the match was enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Reveal hidden contents

A week after successfully defending the WWE Championship against Rock and HHH at WrestleMania, I was then asked by HHH if I wanted to cash in my Money in the Bank briefcase.  Which I had lost in a screwjob several months before.  Also, did I mention I was WWE Champion?

It did a mirror match in more than the usual way - I was controlling *both* champion and challenger.  I could only do basic punches and enter and exit the ring - I was eventually able to maneuver one out of the ring and one in the ring, for a countout - which was ruled a draw.  Which I guess is technically correct, from a quantum point of view.  

At least I was able to progress - it wasn't a required objective to win/lose the title, so just getting through the match was enough.

That sounds like it would be an interesting idea, not as a glitch. 

Yeah, that's games development now. We're the QA testers. That's what Early Access is for, but sometimes you get shit like Destiny, No Man's Sky or, from the sounds of it, WWE 2K18. In the case of NMS, it's a smaller studio and to their credit, they never gave up and they've actually made that game significantly better. If the game NMS is now was the game that was released last year, then that's a GotY contender.

My hopes for something similar with WWE 2K18 are much less than what they were for NMS. I'll look on the OS forums or even the subreddit and this game just sounds so fucking broken.

Also, similar to NMS, it looks like a victim to feature creep. Basically, someone comes along and says that the game should include new features or systems that originally weren't planned for and the dev team then needs to focus on that instead of fixing shit that's broken. Unfortunately, no one ever stops to ask or say that face paint flaking off is great, but there's stuff that's been broken for years that they really need to fix. Such is life with yearly releases.

A better solution to these problems would be to do what happened with the UFC series. The UFC series went from yearly releases to bi-yearly releases so they could focus more on putting out a complete game while fixing what was wrong with the current game. The previous UFC game was...man...way broken, but the extended development cycle allowed them to actually fix that game and make it into something pretty good. Then, by the time UFC 2 came out, they were all set to release a better product. 2K and Yukes would be sacrificing money, but in the long run, better support for the current product and having the time to focus on an improved new product would benefit everyone.

• Like 2

And for that I'm glad my friend bought it and I play through ps4 sharing. If they go to the biennial model, they could do more expansive DLC that people would eat up at a full game price in the off year, keeping the roster more up to date with new wrestlers, moves and entrances while the gameplay team has more time to hone shit and add new features that actually work. 

I got a stern warning for uploading a picture of Shane McMahon giving the double bird to use on my SHANE O MAC CHALLENGE (2 monsters and Shane in a triple threat where the monsters can only pin Shane but Shane can pin either opponent. Winner is Shane next match. Super fun!) belt. Used the same image just fine last year and it's their talent on their tv in a game that features the double bird as a taunt (that's still in right?). *shrug*

I got that royal rumble glitch playing with a bud last night. He was the Rock and was eliminated except dude just stayed in the ring the rest of the way. Cool. 

Then we played as The Masters of the Powerbomb in a handicap match against Dolph and all was right with the world. They really do need to chill the legendary difficulty AI's escape times on carries ASAP tho. 

Rick Rude ('89 WWF)
Ricky Steamboat ('91 WWF)
Ricky Steamboat ('94 WCW)
Rikishi ('00 Bad Man)
Rob Van Dam ('06)
Scott Hall (Outsider)
Scott Hall (Razor Ramon)
Shawn Michaels ('97 HBK)
Shawn Michaels ('98 DX)
Sid ('96 Sycho)
Steve Austin ('97-'03)
Steve Austin (Stunning)
Sting ('88)
Sting ('91)
Sting ('98 Wolfpac)
Sting ('99)
Tatanka
Tatsumi Fujinami ('91 SuperBrawl 1)
The Rock ('00-'01 People's Champ)
Triple H ('01)
Triple H ('98 DX)
Trish Stratus ('04)
Typhoon (Natural Disaster)
Ultimate Warrior
Undertaker ('01 American Badass)
Undertaker ('91 Mortician)
Vader ('95 WCW)
Kerry Von Erich
Kevin Von Erich
Beth Phoenix ('08 Glamazon)

All have been added to the roster sheet

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, that's games development now. We're the QA testers. That's what Early Access is for, but sometimes you get shit like Destiny, No Man's Sky or, from the sounds of it, WWE 2K18. In the case of NMS, it's a smaller studio and to their credit, they never gave up and they've actually made that game significantly better. If the game NMS is now was the game that was released last year, then that's a GotY contender.

My hopes for something similar with WWE 2K18 are much less than what they were for NMS. I'll look on the OS forums or even the subreddit and this game just sounds so fucking broken.

Also, similar to NMS, it looks like a victim to feature creep. Basically, someone comes along and says that the game should include new features or systems that originally weren't planned for and the dev team then needs to focus on that instead of fixing shit that's broken. Unfortunately, no one ever stops to ask or say that face paint flaking off is great, but there's stuff that's been broken for years that they really need to fix. Such is life with yearly releases.

A better solution to these problems would be to do what happened with the UFC series. The UFC series went from yearly releases to bi-yearly releases so they could focus more on putting out a complete game while fixing what was wrong with the current game. The previous UFC game was...man...way broken, but the extended development cycle allowed them to actually fix that game and make it into something pretty good. Then, by the time UFC 2 came out, they were all set to release a better product. 2K and Yukes would be sacrificing money, but in the long run, better support for the current product and having the time to focus on an improved new product would benefit everyone.

I wonder if they ever actually fixed the iron man match. I can't remember what triggered it, but the match would just stop once it hit that trigger no matter how much time was left, and the game would just randomly assign a winner no matter how many falls were scored to a side. It was definitely present in last year's game (where I watched a friend playing as Nakamura lead in an iron man match 4-3 against a CPU Samoa Joe, only for the game to randomly declare the match over with seven minutes left and give Joe the win), and it's existed for at least three years.

Bought the game yesterday. It's one of those purchases where I know I'll play it for the whole year round. Also bought the season pass because I need to support my homie Alistair Black.

So far, so good. I thought I would hate the new carry and drag system, but it is all right and doesn't feel like a tagged on gimmick. I like some of the graphical improvements; I feel that they fucked with the reversal system a little bit compared to last year. You definitely need to temper with the AI settings a little bit to actually make it feel right instead of the default settings. 

And Larry Z. is in and Arn is out? And we have 5 different Stings? What the fuck? Also miss the November to Remember arena, it felt so indierific. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: NJPW (Current). If there is anyone missing, let me know

The following wrestlers have been added to the sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z0Dkls-dx7JFVgKJzUtoLAHFCZZAlnkkfSL7K4QWjvE/edit#gid=2

Bad Luck Fale
Baretta (Trent)
BUSHI
Chase Owens
Cody Hall
Cody Rhodes
Davey Boy Smith Jr.
David Finlay
El Desperado
EVIL
Gedo
Henare
Hirai Kawato
Hiromu Takahashi
Hirooki Goto
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Jado
Jay White
Juice Robinson
Jushin Thunder Liger
Katsuya Kitamura
Kaysuyori Shibata
Kazuchika Okada
Kenny Omega
Kota Ibushi
Kushida
Lance Archer
Manabu Nakanishi (Kurasawa)
Marty Scurll
Matt Jackson
Nick Jackson
Michael Elgin
Minoru Suzuki
Ren Narita
Ricochet
Rocky Romero
Ryusuke Taguchi
SANADA
Satoshi Kojima
Sho Tanaka
Shota Umino
Taichi Ishikari
Taka Michinoku
Takashi Iizuka
Tama Tonga
Tanga Loa
Teruaki Kanemitsu
Tetsuhiro Yagi
Tetsuya Naito
Tiger Mask IV
Togi Makabe
Tomoaki Honma
Tomohiro Ishii
Tomoyuki Oka
Tonga Leo
Toru Yano
Will Ospreay
Yohei Komatsu
Yoshi-Hashi
Yoshinobu Kanemaru
Yuji Nagata
Yujiro Takahashi
Zack Sabre Jr. (Suzuki Gun)

The following wrestling have been added to the sheet

Alex Wright ('96 Das Wunderkind)
American Males - Marcus Bagwell
American Males - Scotty Riggs
Avalanche/Shark (John Tenta)
Big Bubba Rogers
The Giant
Blue Bloods - Earl Robert Eaton
Blue Bloods - Lord Steven Regal
Blue Bloods - Squire David Taylor
Booker T ('99)
Brad Armstrong
Brian Pillman (4Horseman)
Brian Pillman (Flyin')
Brutus Beefcake (as The Butcher)
Bryan Clark (WCW)
Bunkhouse Buck
Chris Benoit ('99)
Dick Slater
Disco Inferno
Eddie Guerrero ('98 Heel)
Faces of Fear - Barbarian
Faces of Fear - Meng
Fire & Ice - Ice Train
Fire & Ice - Scott Norton
Fit Finlay ('96 Belfast Bruiser)
French Canadians - Carl Ouellet
French Canadians - Jacques Rougeau
Glacier
Harlem Heat - Booker T ('96)
Harlem Heat - Stevie Ray
Hector Guerrero
Hugh Morrus
Hulk Hogan ('96 WCW)
Jeff Jarrett (WCW)
Jim Duggan ('94)
Johnny B. Badd
Jushin Thunder Liger ('96)
Kanyon (Mortis)
Kensuke Sasaki  ('95 Starrcade)
Kevin Sullivan (The Taskmaster)
Konnan ('96 Pre-DOD)
Kurasawa (Manabu Nakanishi)
Lord Steven Regal ('97)
Nasty Boys - Brian Knobbs
Nasty Boys - Jerry Sags
One Man Gang ('95 US Title Run)
Pretty Wonderful: Paul Roma
Pretty Wonderful: Paul Orndorff
Perry Saturn ('97 Raven's Flock)
Prince Iaukea ('97 TV Title Run)
Randy Savage ('96 Face)
Raven  ('97 Raven's Flock)
Renegade
Rick Steiner ('99)
Riggs ('99 Raven's Flock)
Road Warrior Animal ('96)
Road Warrior Hawk ('96)
Roddy Piper ('96 Starrcade)
Scott Steiner ('01 - Big Poppa Pump)
Sgt. Craig Pittman
Sid ('01 Milennial Man)
Steiner Brothers - Rick Steiner
Steiner Brothers - Scott Steiner
Sting ('95)
Sting ('97 Crow)
V.K. Wallstreet
Arn Anderson
Chris Benoit ('96)
Ric Flair ('96)
Steve "Mongo" McMichael
El Dandy
Magnum Tokyo
Shiima Nobunaga
Kaz Hayashi
Ciclope
Dean Malenko ('97)
Eddie Guerrero ('96 Face)
Hector Garza ('97)
Jerry Lynn ('96 Mr. JL) 
Juventud Guerrerra ('97)
Kidman ('97)
La Parka ('97)
Lizmark Jr.
Psychosis  ('97)
Rey Mysterio Jr. ('97)
Silver King ('97)
Super Calo ('97)
Ultimo Dragon ('97 Heel)
Villano 4 ('97)
Villano 5 ('97)
Chris Jericho  ('97 Heel)
Damian 666
Big Show (Giant, NWO)
Curt Hennig
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo Sting
Randy Savage (NWO)
Vicious & Delicious - Buff Bagwell
Vicious & Delicious - Scott Norton
Vincent
Syxx

On 10/22/2017 at 6:44 AM, Michael Sweetser said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm laughing way too much over this one.

Did your wrestlers ever touch?  And, if so, did reality implode and collapse in on itself.

7 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I'm laughing way too much over this one.

Did your wrestlers ever touch?  And, if so, did reality implode and collapse in on itself.

They did, but literally the only attack that would execute was a basic strike that didn't even seem to do much damage.  I had no way to grab a hold.  One of me got knocked down at one point but I couldn't go for a pin or submission.  Thank god for the countout/draw or they'd presumably still be there.

Tried Road to Glory.  It immediately put me in a TLC against someone over 30 points higher than me.  Couldn't even counter anything.  Fuck it.  As usual, multiplayer in this game is a waste of time.

It takes forever to earn any VC in this game and without it, there's no chance of getting any decent moves or stats in MyPlayer.  I beat MyCareer story mode and I'm still below a 60 rating, and still stuck with the same finisher I've had the entire time.  What's the point of even bothering?

I still play MyCareer off and on just to see where it goes.  I have no intention of levelling up my character much since it'll take forever to get VC.  But I do appreciate the free-roam aspect even if it's the same canned messages.  Right now I finished my first feud on Raw but am hoping it doesn't take long to rank up.  Other than that I have more fun just doing random matches.  There's something cathartic about a guy like Braun just beating the absolute shit out of Enzo.  And tossing him out of the ring in various ways is just sublime.

Also, if you're on PS4 there's some super-high quality puro edits that this one dude is churning out.  He's got everybody from Tanahashi to Muto and they're all really well-done.  I believe his username is Timothy1984.