DVDVR Message Board

Heads Up Battle 1986 UWF v. NJ 10 Man V. Flair v. Morton

Phil Schneider

Inter-promotional Puro War v. Maybe Flair's best match

Yoshiaki Fujiwara/Osamu Kido/Nobuhiko Takada/Kazuo Yamazaki/Akira Maeda v. Antonio Inoki/Tatsumi Fujinami/Kengo Kimura/Umanosuke Ueda/Kantaro Hoshino NJPW 3/26/86

Ric Flair v. Ricky Morton NWA 7/5/86

Find these matches, watch them and comment below

Is that the one on the Horsemen DVD where Morton's wearing the protective mask? I think it's a cage match at one of the touring Bashes?

EDIT: There's no date on this but it could possibly be that. Also, uploaded by the almighty Chips and Beer Magazine!

EDIT II: It is indeed on the DVD but is it below?

Okay, rewatched it, and yeah, that was a damn good match. Is it Flair's best? He certainly thought the series they had was up there with Steamboat's and I'm not one to argue with the man, though I'd probably pick I Quit over this. Flair arrives via helicopter (with red carpet rolled out for him!) while Ricky is already in the ring, probably having been delivered along with Robert Gibson and two other wrestlers via Pinto. The story is that the Horsemen ground Ricky's face into the floor and broke his nose so he's wearing a protective mask. In real life they actually took him in the back and sand-papered his face with large grain sandpaper to make it look nasty for TV; I think Harley did the duty actually, saying "kid, this is gonna hurt" haha. Flair does a perfect job of showing fear and regret looking around at the cage and avoiding Morton early on. There's some really tremendous camerawork in this match and with no announcing the audio picks up every verbal taunt thrown at the crowd or between the wrestlers. Ricky also has GREAT PUNCHES~! and those are his primary way of attacking Flair, aside from fishhooking and pulling his nose, etc. Tommy Young plays a good role too in begging them to wrestle when he has no way of making that happen. The end was typical but otherwise this was great with a stellar unseen blade job from Ricky followed by great facial expressions with the blood all over, same from Flair only, of course, you can catch him blading. 

Does it stack up to the UWF/NJPW match? Yeah, definitely. Is it better? I don't think so, but it's a close call to make. 

EDIT: Harley might'be been in WWF by then. I think the story in Flair's book was they got the idea from doing it to Steamboat first back in the '70s and THAT would have been when Harley did it