DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is THEY'RE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU FINN - 8/14/2017

Dolfan in NYC

57 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Long live Titus WORLDWIDE!!! and the Powah of Tozawa!!!!!

Show dragged, but there was some good stuff in there. Not sure I liked them announcing that "Demon" Finn Balor is showing up on Sunday. Would have preferred him demand a rematch, then show up painted up like the demon on Sunday.

I hated the announcement of Demon Finn for Summerslam, but just didn't have the energy to complain about it. It was obvious he was going to anyway, as it's been saved for big matches. Announcing it beforehand takes some of the excitement out of Finn showing up as The Demon unannounced.

51 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

How do you explain them coming from Smackdown?

They're part of a religious cult. They show up where their messiah wants them to. Kurt Angle, being a smart GM, allows them to stay because he values their ability, especially Harper.

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The problem is if they go immediately back to Neville where do they go from there?

He has run through everyone else in the division

I mean what else are they gonna do - have Metalik emerge from the ether?

At this point, I'd disband the division and spread the talent out between Raw, SD, and nxt.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The problem is if they go immediately back to Neville where do they go from there?

He has run through everyone else in the division

I mean what else are they gonna do - have Metalik emerge from the ether?

If he does win it back, which I admit seems likely, he has to lose it again pretty quick. Another dominant reign like the one that just ended would crush an already floundering division. (Unless the whole point of 205 Live was to get one guy over.)

6 hours ago, Brysynner said:

Because they need to protect Braun by not having people notice he has no heat when he's not beating up Roman or Sami (which is pretty much all he's done this year)

Uh, 1. That's flat out incorrect, and 2. How would you even know he doesn't have heat other than when working with those two if that's all he's done this year? Stop projecting your personal dislike of Braun onto the crowd.

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

I've got to vehemently disagree here on many parts. It was the same Sasha/Nia match we've gotten several times before. Nia throws her around for the majority, then they have her try and put a submission on the much larger opponent to overcome the odds. She's the least likeable female currently on TV other then Tamina.

I didn't think Sasha-Nia was anything special either but this is also ridiculous.

• Thanks 2

I've got to vehemently disagree here on many parts. It was the same Sasha/Nia match we've gotten several times before. Nia throws her around for the majority, then they have her try and put a submission on the much larger opponent to overcome the odds. She's the least likeable female currently on TV other then Tamina.

I don't see ho she's any less likable than Nattie (Cheap shots and braggy); Carmella (Obnoxious and braggy); Emma (constantly losing and whines about it); Alexa Biss (Whines and is cowardly); Lana (loses constantly and uses her looks to get high-profile matches she doesn't deserve).  Tamina is the SD version of Jax, intimidating woman who frowns a lot.  Not sure how that makes her the least likable woman wrestler?!

How do you explain them coming from Smackdown?

Jason Jordan just walked out on Raw because his dad's on the show with Smackdown getting nothing in return.  I'm sure Harper/Rowan could cross over as they're on SD so irregularly that no one would really notice.

• Like 1

If Nia and Sasha are guilty of telling essentially the same story over and over--size and power vs. quickness, technique, and guile--they are, at least to my memory, using some different spots to tell it each time. Frankly, I was impressed it didn't seem more same-y, given how often they've had to do this dance recently. It's a difficult position. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

If Nia and Sasha are guilty of telling essentially the same story over and over--size and power vs. quickness, technique, and guile--they are, at least to my memory, using some different spots to tell it each time. Frankly, I was impressed it didn't seem more same-y, given how often they've had to do this dance recently. It's a difficult position. 

Compare and contrast it to Sting/Vader in 500 words or less.

38 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Compare and contrast it to Sting/Vader in 500 words or less.

Broadly speaking, I don't think they're very similar, really? 

-Vader was the monster, the thing to be defeated; Nia is (all respect to Fale) the underboss, a hurdle Sasha has to overcome to get what she really wants. And she nearly always does. One is a contest between relative equals; we're told the other is, but it's not booked that way. 

-Nia is also a rather tentative worker; for a monster, you get the feeling her first goal is to avoid really demolishing her opponent. Obviously this holds her back a bit. Vader was stiff to a sometimes grotesque extent, which... people can feel how they feel about that, but it does add to the drama.

-Sting was a bodybuilder, 6'2, a tremendous athlete, and the babyiest face you can imagine; you can picture him standing up to Vader a little, and you can imagine that he might try. Sasha is small, thin, not incredibly athletic for her size, and more of a tweener. She isn't going slam Nia and can't really be expected to trade strikes for a moment; she wins with ring awareness and flash counters, either into rollups or submissions. She's less likely to care how she wins. 

So... the matches serve different narrative functions; beyond the superficial monster heel and underdog face dynamic, the characters are very different; the workers themselves don't have terribly similar styles, either. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I kinda want Seth to turn heel and lay Dean out.  I get that Seth deserves it, but Dean has been an unbearable dick to Seth since this angle began.  And I'm not a big fan of Dean in general.

i wouldn't hate a Dean heel turn either.  I feel like he's better at playing heel than babyface and he's been a bland babyface so long, he's beyond stale.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure how one can properly judge Nia/Sasha when so much was lost to commercial breaks 

I haven't seen the TV version yet but it was lots and lots of hope spots,  immediately cut off and big move from Nia that Sasha sells like death.  I loved the match but being there live is different and being an admitted Sasha stan may skew my judgment as well.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

The only person in either WWE or NXT that's gotten a good match out of Nia is Bayley.

I thought the Asuka match in Osaka was her best. But then I haven't liked any of the bayley matches and enjoyed all Sasha/Nia matches.

• Like 2

Thinking about it more,  I'd probably put Sasha/Nia from the RAW gauntlet match above this one but I really like both. I think they are Nia's top two matches on the main roster,  I also enjoyed the hell out of Bayley and Nia down in NXT which was a credit to Bayley too because Nia has improved since then.

• Like 2

Isn't there an unconfirmed Superstar Shakeup coming up again after SummerSlam this year? That is how Rowan and Harper end up back on RAW. However, I'd love for Harper to stay on SDL and get the big singles push he deserves rather than being saddled back as a Wyatt lackey.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Thinking about it more,  I'd probably put Sasha/Nia from the RAW gauntlet match above this one but I really like both. I think they are Nia's top two matches on the main roster,  I also enjoyed the hell out of Bayley and Nia down in NXT which was a credit to Bayley too because Nia has improved since then.

We're in agreement. Glad you had a good time, @Niners Fan in CT. Meant to say that earlier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I'm going to be really pissed if Neville is getting the title back at Summerslam after this awesomeness from Titus Worldwide and Sasha. With Tozawa as champion, there's a bunch of fresh match ups. I feel like Neville's reign started to get stale after the second match with Austin Aries.