DVDVR Message Board

RIC FLAIR HEALTH CONDITION THREAD

He might be getting the best care possible but if he's in critical condition then I'm still pretty worried.  Sometimes I come here and hope the title didn't change to something worse.  If he can at least upgrade his condition to stable I'd feel a little bit better.

This is what Dave wrote in the WON that just came out

Ric Flair has remained in critical condition in the hospital in Atlanta for the last several days in what is very much a battle for his life.

Flair, 68, one of the most iconic enduring and influential wrestlers in history and arguably its all-time best all-around performer taking all aspects of character and in-ring into consideration, apparently had severe pains in his stomach and was rushed to the hospital on 8/12.

While at first the situation was said to not be that serious, although he was in the Intensive Care Unit from the start, his situation worsened by the next day to where the situation was life threatening and he was put in a medically induced coma.

The catalyst of his problems were apparently a significant blockage in his bowels which led to surgery to alleviate the blockage. This led to a series of medical problems including his kidneys shutting down.

He underwent surgery on 8/14. There was a chance, perhaps even a serious chance that he would not survive the surgery. Even after surgery, he is very much not out of danger. He is also on kidney dialysis with the hope of being able to get his kidneys functioning and there are other medical issues, including an infection that, at least as of 8/13,that had not been diagnosed, that he was dealing with.

There is really not a lot more information. His family was all called to the hospital and right now everything is just waiting to see if he can fight off the infection and his other issues can be taken care of. Flair had a heart issue dating back nearly 15 years ago, even though he was in remarkable condition as far as conditioning, due to the lifestyle he led. That lifestyle really didn’t change and he himself admitted his drinking really got out of control at one point after the death of his son, Reid, in 2013, at the age of 25. Ric never got over it and I don’t know how he possibly could have ever gotten over it.

What matters is hoping he beats the odds and comes through it because all of that is quite serious and his family is going through hell. I never want to see that happen to anyone. I've been through it on the sidelines with other relatives. Flair is the same age my grandfather passed away at when I was an infant. They've gone through enough bad things in that family, they don't deserve this ordeal, but reality is rarely just or fair. 

As a person, I don't agree with many things Flair has said or done, but that's not really important and it would just make it about me instead of them. I'm not a religious or luck-believing person, but I hope he beats the odds that are up against him. It's the best I can do which isn't very much at all, but it's all any of us can do in a situation like this one. For his family and for him, I want this overcome.

• Like 3

I kinda wonder what happens to Flair if he comes through this.  By most accounts, he's very much still living life as the Nature Boy.  I won't  be too surprised if it  turns out he's just not wired to live life at a slower speed as an old, sick person.  It seems a little unlikely he's going to sail through this and be able to go back to the lifestyle he had previously.  I

I don't wanna get all dark poetry but reading Hortons above post I thought of post-stroke Joe Louis sitting in that wheelchair at the fights in Las Vegas and how depressing it was. I don't want that for Naitch.

Depends which retirement you mean, really. He wrestled Hogan in Australia and Sting in TNA long after his retirement match with Michaels (not including all the times WCW retired him).

We have an update Ric Flair. Flair is doing significantly better than he was earlier in the week, but he is still in critical condition. He was given an external pacemaker and his heart is beating at normal levels and getting stronger. He is still battling an infection and on kidney dialysis. This is going to be a very slow process. It goes without saying that we all wish the best for his family and friends in this very serious time.

Via WON website

My mom had emergency bowel surgery(twice), she's fine now, but that surgery's a motherfucker. She didn't have the other parts(dialysis or heart problems), so it will be a long ass recovery. Hopefully he'll pull out of it. . . .