DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Destruction Tour 2017

Raziel

I liked the story of Juice being such a Good Dude that he refused to go after Kenny's knee at first, but then realizing that Kenny had his number in a straight up match and having no choice but to go there if he wanted to win.  Juice is so good at communicating his role in a match.  Also did a nice job saving the botched powerbomb at the end, grimacing and saying, "I can't do it!"

I feel like their 2nd match together, and first for the title, is maybe a little soon to be going for finishers off the top, but I guess if you're Kenny and you find someone crazy enough to say, "Yeah, I'll try that, why not," you've gotta strike while the iron is hot.

That was such a fascinatingly different match. It had clear segments, each one more interesting than the last. Beech already did a great job of breaking the different acts down but I think this did Juice a lot of good. The crowd didn't really buy Juice as a credible threat until the last five minutes or so despite the G1 win and while I get they capped off the first segment of the match with the victory roll that did the track in August, it was really flat and I think would've been better served as a near fall right before the Pulp Friction. And yeah, I don't think he killed off the Pulp Friction here. Kendog's basically a deity right now and it takes more than one to put him down most of the time.

Juice sold the reluctant leg work so well but it made for such a weird dynamic because the incredibly lovable, underdog babyface had to take the heelish route against the kayfabe superior wrestler. It had to be done but the crowd didn't really know how to react. 

Oh, and Kenny's kickout on the Pulp Friction was 24K gold. 

YOSHI-HASHI with the awkward exchange with Kenny in the back, lol. Fucking goober. Kenny (rightfully) absolutely buried him, hah. I've only watched a few matches from this tour but even if it's a dud, it still gave us two excellent matches from what I've seen. And if there were ever a time to go through the motions, the month after the G1 is the time to do it.

• Like 1

I'd suggest the opening tag with Monster Rage and Kawato, as a fun appetizer; Trent vs. Yujiro, both for the novelty and because it's actually pretty good; the Tana/Ibushi tag, because I shamelessly love both guys, and am stoked on any of their interactions; and the main event. The Chaos/LIJ tags are a pleasant way to pass some time, but there's really nothing new or essential happening there. The tag titles match is also a fun enough spotty brawl, but you've seen it before, and will again. The second and third matches are the only things I'd skip, were I to watch the whole thing again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On September 24, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Lol, you're going to have to be more specific.  There was probably three spots where I questioned Juice's sanity and long-term health.

I would guess you're talking about this:

Reveal hidden contents

or this:

Reveal hidden contents

There were a couple others not quite as insane.  Juice looked like he landed on his head/neck after the avalanche One-Winged Angel.  Ditto the dragon suplex Omega squished him with.  Great match, but Juice probably shortened his career a bit in there.

Omega's sell of the Pulp Friction had me fearing Juice broke his (Kenny's) neck.  Nutty match.  Juice would be on RAW if he'd shown a fraction of this ability in NXT. 

Yeesh Juice also took that kick back into the guardrail with such force it was startling. Really raised his game and looked great in there hanging with Omega in his style of crazy match.

I am sure he won't mind going back to relatively easy six man house show tags for awhile.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, lostinube said:

As others have pointed out, all three Destruction cities are where major disasters have happened: Hiroshima, Kobe (Great Hanshin Earthquake in 95), and Fukushima (Tohoku Earthquake in 2011).

Oh, I'm well aware of that.  Just saying that I personally wouldn't have made a marketing campaign out of that sort of thing.

I applaud the citizens of those cities for obviously getting past those dark times and not letting those disasters define them or the place where they live, but I probably wouldn't attend an indy card in Alabama called The Lynchin' In Birmingham.

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

Oh, I'm well aware of that.  Just saying that I personally wouldn't have made a marketing campaign out of that sort of thing.

I applaud the citizens of those cities for obviously getting past those dark times and not letting those disasters define them or the place where they live, but I probably wouldn't attend an indy card in Alabama called The Lynchin' In Birmingham.

It'd probably draw 1000 on that name alone these days.