DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Destruction Tour 2017

Raziel

So, next up is the Destruction tour, the big shows being 9/10 in Fukoshima, 9/16 in Hiroshima, and 9/24 in Kobe.  I'm gonna think that we're unlikely to get the Okada/EVIL or Naito/Fale or Ishii defenses here, with a LIJ vs. CHAOS 10 man with Okada and Ishii on the CHAOS team more likely, as that kills 3 birds with one stone.  Probably matches are the recently sheared Tanahashi vs ZSJ, Suzuki/Elgin, Omega/Robinson, KUSHIDA/Desperado, and some form or forms of War Machine/GoD/KES.  Probably also toss in a LIJ 6 man defense.  Not sure how they'll do the spilt up, but we'll likely get one or two title matches a card, so I'll just do the major matches when announced.

Yeah. I forgot the announcement of Kenny defending the US belt in RoH, although I would think he would actually defend it against a full time RoH guy, but then again, its RoH, Gedo says jump and Delirious says "How High?", or at least whatever that translates to in Lizard.

full cards!

great naming NJPW, putting the DESTRUCTION PPVs in a nuclear zone, an atomic bomb site, and a famous 90s earthquake zone. anyway!

with thanks to purolove.com

NJPW "DESTRUCTION IN FUKUSHIMA", 10.09.2017
Fukushima Azuma General Gymnasium

1. Yuji Nagata & Hirai Kawato vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Shota Umino
2. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tomoyuki Oka & Katsuya Kitamura
3. Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens vs. Beretta & Jado
4. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, KUSHIDA, Ryusuke Taguchi & Ricochet vs. Takashi Iizuka, El Desperado, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Taichi & TAKA Michinoku
5. IWGP Tag Team Title, 3 Way Match: Raymond Rowe & Hanso (c) vs. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
6. Kenny Omega & Bad Luck Fale vs. Juice Robinson & David Finlay
7. Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay vs. Tetsuya Naito & Hiromu Takahashi
8. NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Title: "King of Darkness" EVIL, SANADA & BUSHI (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada, Toru Yano & Rocky Romero
9. NEVER Openweight Title: Minoru Suzuki (c) vs. Michael Elgin

NJPW "DESTRUCTION IN HIROSHIMA", 16.09.2017
Hiroshima Sun Plaza Hall

1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask vs. Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado
2. Roppongi Vice Final Match: Rocky Romero & Beretta vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens
3. Togi Makabe, Michael Elgin & Kota Ibushi vs. Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka & TAKA Michinoku
4. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Ryusuke Taguchi & Ricochet (c) vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Taichi
5. IWGP Tag Team Title, 3 Way Match: Raymond Rowe & Hanso (c) vs. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
6. Kenny Omega & Bad Luck Fale vs. Juice Robinson & David Finlay
7. Tetsuya Naito, "King of Darkness" EVIL, SANADA, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, Will Ospreay & Gedo
8. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: KUSHIDA (c) vs. El Desperado
9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

NJPW "DESTRUCTION IN KOBE", 24.09.2017
Kobe Wold Hall

1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Hirai Kawato vs. Tomoyuki Oka & Shota Umino
2. Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask vs. El Desperado & TAKA Michinoku
3. Togi Makabe & David Finlay vs. Michael Elgin & Katsuya Kitamura
4. Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI & Beretta vs. Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens
5. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ryuske Taguchi & Ricochet vs. Takashi Iizuka, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Taichi
6. IWGP Tag Team Title, 3 Way Match: Raymond Rowe & Hanso (c) vs. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
7. Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano & Rocky Romero vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA & BUSHI
8. Kazuchika Okada & Will Ospreay vs. "King of Darkness" EVIL & Hiromu Takahashi
9. IWGP US Heavyweight Title: Kenny Omega (c) vs. Juice Robinson

There are a number of Road to shows, here are the highlights...

two Korakuens pre-Fukushima, main evented first by...

Elimination Match: Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, Will Ospreay & Rocky Romero vs. Tetsuya Naito, "King of Darkness" EVIL, SANADA, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi

...and secondly

Elimination Match: Michael Elgin, Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA, Ryusuke Taguchi & Ricochet vs. Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka, El Desperado, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Taichi

On the one hand, Omega/Juice not happening in Chicago is so weird. OTOH, it's a much higher profile for Juice to have it in NJPW and they could just as easily do a rematch in ROH.

On 8/14/2017 at 10:02 AM, Beech27 said:

Juice is from Joliet, so having him challenge in Chicago would be pretty cool.

Well, I missed on this. Curious to see who Omega wrestles in ROH, though frankly the roster isn't rich with guys I'd like to see. 

Still, I think it might be better that Juice/Omega happens in Japan. It's that audience that's gotten Juice over to the point that a US audience would actually like to see him, and they should be rewarded for it. (That's an awkward sentence, but I think the thought is clear enough.) I don't think Juice will win, but there will be moments during the match when I'm sold that he might pull it off. And then he either will or he won't, but it should be awesome either way. 

They've also done a tremendous job making ZSJ look a severe threat to Tanahashi. Just a terrible matchup for a guy with a torn bicep. I've loved all their interactions thus far, and this should be great. 

(I sorta don't care about any of the tag stuff, but a lot of it should be pretty good. I'm not incredibly stoked for Elgin/Suzuki either--I think I'm probably in the 99th percentile of both irrational Suzuki fans/Elgin detractors--but I'll get into it.) 

32 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

also as someone smarter than me on Twitter pointed out: look at the only card Ibushi is on

Is the implication that he'd be on hand to issue an IC title challenge? (I'm feeling a bit dense today.) He did beat both Tana and Sabre in the G1, and so would have a claim, whomever wins. 

Just now, Beech27 said:

Is the implication that he'd be on hand to issue an IC title challenge? (I'm feeling a bit dense today.) He did beat both Tana and Sabre in the G1. 

yes I think so. whether that would happen at the Dome or KOPW or Power Struggle I'm not sure. but hell of a match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

The tag title booking is just beyond lazy at this point.  They could switch the belts all 3 shows and still no one would care.

While I dig War Machine-v-GoD matches, they're in a definite rut.

20 minutes ago, Ace said:

While I dig War Machine-v-GoD matches, they're in a definite rut.

too right. I mean you've got Goto & YOSHI-HASHI there doing nada, why not go IWGP tag title match on Destruction A between champs and GOD, let's say, #1 contender between CHAOS and KES at Destruction B, winner faces new champs at C, losers also face each other for some kind of wooden spoon prize (break-up, no shots for a year, something to animate these undercard things) on a Road to show. Gedo is a great mind of the business and my favourite booker today but give me a bunch of guys and I could do a better shot of booking this mess. I think. No hubris.

I feel like using the tag scene to add depth to the story of singles feuds is something All Japan did much better than New Japan, though that was down to roster depth issues. Some of the best matches from their heyday were tag matches between top singles guys and they played off their 1v1 encounters and built up to future singles meetings. I get that New Japan likes actual tag teams for their tag division, but I'm with sevendaughters in that they could do a helluva lot more with singles guys that don't have clear directions by using them in the tag division. I would also love for the top guys to get involved in the tag title scene too but there are just so many fucking singles titles as is that they'll likely always be in the mix for one of them at any given time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 11:43 AM, sevendaughters said:

yes I think so. whether that would happen at the Dome or KOPW or Power Struggle I'm not sure. but hell of a match.

No clarification on when, but the prospect of if seems pretty sorted. (Tagged just in case.) From this interview:

Spoiler

–With Naito and Zack Sabre Junior, who’s challenging him in Hiroshima, you were one of only three to beat Tanahashi in the G1.

Ibushi: Right. So it’s Zack and Tanahashi next. I definitely want to face who comes out on top of that one.

The more urgent news, however, is this:

Due to an injury sustained to his left knee’s lateral meniscus, Kenny Omega will not appear in matches between 9/7 and 9/22.

Apparently the ring broke very early in the PWG six-man he just did, and the ropes were very loose. Have to wonder if he hurt it because of that unstable surface, and of course, how New Japan must feel about it happening outside of their jurisdiction.

Fwiw, I have already seen someone suggesting this is a work, meant to further the idea that Omega is selfish, and to the extent that he cares about anyone else, its only the Bucks. So of course he'd compromise working with GOD, whom he doesn't care for anyway. And of course the injury won't keep him from his big main event singles match. That... feels unlikely to me, however. 

Regardless, the fact that the US title defense is still scheduled hopefully means this is precautionary, and he's relatively ok. Kenny says only this:

I'm avoiding the pwg thread like the plague, so I didn't know about the ring breaking, but PWG's replacement ring for the one that burned down has looked dreadful. I commented to a friend as we watched the most recent that the ropes looked like they could give at any moment (Keith Lee climbed them though). I hope it's a work.

Not a good year for prominent indies in regards to rings breaking. Was that the only injury? We didn't have a Pete Kaasa this time? 

I think that was the only one, though admittedly I'm trying to avoid spoilers myself. Meltzer, who was at the show, said the wrestlers didn't even know the ring had broken until it was being broken down after the show, and still had a great match, so I doubt anyone was incredibly compromised during. If Omega had been visibly hurt, and worked like it, Dave surely would have mentioned it. That said, I'm still inclined to believe the injury is legitimate. New Japan likes to have its biggest stars on all its shows, if it can be done. So, hopefully it's just the tweak that's reported.