DVDVR Message Board

Heads Up Battle 1988: Hansen/Gordy v. Tenryu/Kawada v. Brazos v. Destructores

Phil Schneider

Cool to see more UWA showing up (or any old lucha for that matter). There's no way it's better than the AJPW tag but this is fun for a couple reasons

- Emilio Charles punching people right in the face 

- los Brazos being nice tecnicos and not using the Super Libre rules to just jump in and team up on anyone until halfway through when they say "fuck it"

- Porky leaping onto people and just being Porky. Great stuff from him here. 

It really didn't have the blood or violence I expected though and for that it comes up short. Plus, how are you gonna fight with Hansen and Gordy? The answer is you can't... for now...

EDIT: I also have to add that I really like one of the Destructores being named Vulcano because I love the band of the same name from Brazil 

A bit too much bs towards the end in the trios match (which would have been aces early on). I loved the first two caidas and it comes back together with a really strong finish but you don't go from blood to comedy: you go from comedy to blood.

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Cool to see more UWA showing up (or any old lucha for that matter). There's no way it's better than the AJPW tag but this is fun for a couple reasons

- Emilio Charles punching people right in the face 

- los Brazos being nice tecnicos and not using the Super Libre rules to just jump in and team up on anyone until halfway through when they say "fuck it"

- Porky leaping onto people and just being Porky. Great stuff from him here. 

It really didn't have the blood or violence I expected though and for that it comes up short. Plus, how are you gonna fight with Hansen and Gordy? The answer is you can't... for now...

EDIT: I also have to add that I really like one of the Destructores being named Vulcano because I love the band of the same name from Brazil 

Not enough blood? Didn't you see the spray coming out of El Brazo's head, much less the dark red pulsing out of Emilio Charles Jr., I can see some critiques of this match, but not enough blood isn't one of them