DVDVR Message Board

NXT AUGUST 9, 2017 TV SHOW

RIPPA

I feel like having a team named The Metro Brothers and making them Deuce and Domino part two is a missed opportunity. They should be douchey frat type boys with frosted hair and tailored clothes and manicures and and be overly obsessed with their looks. 

• Like 1

I always have to smile when former job guys find a gimmick that works and start winning. I used to think Angelo Dawkins was the worst worker on the entire roster. From his backpack ninja turtle days to being the guy with two headbands who lost them both 10 seconds into the match, I thought he stunk as an enhancement guy and added nothing. Tonight, seeing him with a good gimmick then being a pretty good hot tag with a nice out of nowhere spear to boot, I smile once again. 

Ditto to Danny Burch finally winning a match. Him and Oney as a team of bruisers is something I greatly support.

• Like 1

Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch as an Oi! skinhead team is just way too obvious and needs to happen. They can be all about bringing together punks, skinheads, and other working class youth; returning Oi to its original mission as opposed to Nazi fucks spreading their propaganda.

Image result for oi skinheads

• Like 2

Good opening segment that made Sanity look dangerous for the first time in a while. I don't know if Ellering can bump at all, but I feel like there was missed opportunity to not do something to him that would've put the beatdown over the top. The zip tie was a good idea and makes a lot more sense than just having handcuffs laying around.

I'm not really sure about the Street Profits gimmick, especially with Nigel's really cringey line to Percy that was something like "they're your team." Doesn't give me much confidence that the writers have much more for them than Cryme Tyme version 2. That said, Montez Ford looked really good here, and they got a decent reaction, so hopefully they work some stuff out.

Burch/Lorcan continues to be a good series. Loved the finishing sequence where they showed some real struggle over the boston crab and ended with a nice tight pinning combo. Redoing the Cesaro/Sheamus angle with them is the obvious right play, but no BS draw in their last match please.

McIntyre/Roode feels like a big deal even though I'm not the biggest Bobby Roode fan. Strong felt really out of place here, especially as a supposed babyface. Just came across as a whiny loser. Regal looked like a dope with no control giving into their nonsensical booking plans. He should've just made Roddy fight Ohno for the #1 contender spot at Takeover to get Ohno on the card.

I was surprised but pleased how decisively Almas beat Jose. Vega turning him around and working him into a Takeover title match would be a nice story arc, and Almas has the talent for it. Hopefully they'll let him beat Johnny clean at Brooklyn and we'll know they're serious.

• Like 1

I was kinda eh on the Street Profits build (really did feel like Cryme Tyme 2) but I enjoyed the match.  And as the biggest D'Lo fan on this board, I loved that their finishers were both the Sky High and the Lo Down.

And forget the Deuce and Domino comparisons, the Metro Brothers might as well have been Don and Dan Ambrose.  

• Like 1

Nikki Cross continues to be the scariest of the bunch. Speaking of which, Vega is reminding me a lot of Bliss when she was managing.

It's great to see a The Wanderers tribute tag-team.

Not sure which Montez Ford has more of; freakish athleticism or charisma. And the Street Profits have more in common with MVP than Cryme Tyme (like there's no thug life BS about the SP gimmick at all).

For a second there, Roode thought he was still in TNA, thinking he could just make matches on the fly.

If last week's main was a Pride match, this week's  Oney/Burch was a Pancrase match.

2 hours ago, turk128 said:

And the Street Profits have more in common with MVP than Cryme Tyme (like there's no thug life BS about the SP gimmick at all).

I would agree with this, which is why it's really important for Mauro to shut the fuck up with his stupid hip-hop references. Two black dudes in the ring doesn't mean it's automatically time for "Hey can I talk about rap now?! I know black culture!! MIGOS!!!"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I would agree with this, which is why it's really important for Mauro to shut the fuck up with his stupid hip-hop references.

I don't see that happening.  Mauro's gonna Mauro.

And I fear what could happen to the Street Profits if Vince gets his hands on them on the main roster. 

• Like 1

More Burch/Lorcan goodness with that respect building toward a possible team? Yes indeed all in for that. The kick exchange fighting for and against the half crab were the goods. 

Roddy muddying up the NXT title scene leaves me thinking that Roode gets involved in their match to set-up a 3 way at Takeover.

Street Profits were fun and there is hope they can be a hit, because that tag division needs them.