DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Bayley Booed in Bizarroland - 8/7/2017

Dolfan in NYC

I feel like with Bayley one of the big problems is that her naturally nemesis is Sasha but they keep bouncing Sasha around from obviously unnatural babyface best friend to boss-who-will-fuck-anyone-up and back again so there isn't really a good long-term story there.

They should have just had Sasha be Sasha (cold and superior but talented as fuck) and Bayley be Bayley (cheerful and optimistic but talented as fuck) and had them simply not be able to get over figuring out who is the best in the ring. Let the crowd decide who to cheer for. But make it clear that they are both obsessed with each other because they've been compared constantly and can't get past it. Magic vs. Bird.

But instead they insist on shoe-horning that relationship into contrived WWE stories about the endless title hunt that leads nowhere because they just keep switching them out in the same endless feuds with whoever the heel is. So now instead of these two obsessed warriors who can't get past their rivalry they're just interchangeable pieces in an endless story about nothing.

Since the storylines are about nothing, all Bayley has to talk about is her character and its flaws are quickly exposed as she just repeats the same trite lines over and over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My niece is a little girl/tween and she thinks Bayley absolutely sucks. She thinks Bayley's character is someone who is mentally slow...I guess like what Rick Steiner was back in the 80s. So something is definitely lost in the storytelling.

Although she loved AJ and the Bellas, and really likes Alexis Bliss, so maybe just present female wrestlers that kick ass and people will like them?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

My niece is a little girl/tween and she thinks Bayley absolutely sucks. She thinks Bayley's character is someone who is mentally slow...I guess like what Rick Steiner was back in the 80s. So something is definitely lost in the storytelling.

Although she loved AJ and the Bellas, and really likes Alexis Bliss, so maybe just present female wrestlers that kick ass and people will like them?

Your niece is overly critical, man.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Now thinking how great it would be if Alexa started planting little girls in the crowd who she would bring in the ring to say "I think Bayley absolutely sucks and is mentally slow like Rick Steiner!"

Why can't wrestling figure this shit out!

• Like 2

The biggest problem with Bayley is that she works best as a pure, old-school babyface.  

And we live in an era where people cheer heels and buy Bullet Club merchandise while they wait for the babyfaces to turn heel and become interesting.

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

The thing is, they haven't even tried it yet, not with Cena, not with Reigns, not with Bayley (who isn't the best choice of the three by far). I think the dynamic would be reversed, maybe, but eventually they'd come out of the other side with it, just like they did with Rock and Austin (and pretty much every other heel that eventually turned babyface in wrestling history). Of course at that point, they'd probably blow it by getting rid of everything that was making people cheer her (as a heel) in the first place, like how they gave Reigns the 1995 Diesel push after turning him. 

This, plus the main difference with doing this with Rock and Austin and doing it with Bayley is that the former two had the skills and creative freedom to make their heel characters work.  I'm not as critical of Bayley's mic skills and character work as others, but even if the bookers could orchestrate such a turn competently I don't see her as having the chops to pull it off.

I don't think they are pushing Bayley over Sasha so much as they just for whatever reason do not want Sasha to be #1 even though it's clear she has tons of crossover appeal.  I do not know what Vince's problem is with Sasha. Great worker,  great look/costumes,  kids like her,  adults like her,  she can show up at the BET Awards or the MTV Awards or morning television etc..   

He's pushed Charlotte over her and now Alexa. 

• Like 1

If that draft is happening again I'd just move her to Smackdown.  I'm not sure how they pull it off but her there would be worlds better than Raw.  She comes back with an edge but not going heel and whatever griping we have about her or booking could be mostly forgotten about by then.

But it's WWE and when she comes back she'll be in the same spot with the same inept booking, and that will suck.

17 hours ago, piranesi said:

Now thinking how great it would be if Alexa started planting little girls in the crowd who she would bring in the ring to say "I think Bayley absolutely sucks and is mentally slow like Rick Steiner!"

Why can't wrestling figure this shit out!

Honestly, the NXT girl (can't believe I'm blanking on her name) would be perfect for this.

The good thing for Sasha is she seems to have that type of "can't hold me down" talent. She hasn't gotten a consistent push in 2 years, but her reactions are still solid (and very strong relative to the rest of the division) and she still delivers the best matches when given opportunities.

You can't kill the Sasha
The Sasha will live on
Charlotte tried to kill the Sasha
But she failed, and she was sent to Smackdown
Bayley tried to kill the Sasha
But she failed, and her reactions were stricken down