DVDVR Message Board

NXT August 2, 2017 TV SHOW

NikoBaltimore

I know Rippa will likely create a thread for the show so I'll wait on giving full opinions of the show, but holy fuck this was an amazing episode.  Given the past couple months dare I say it but NXT is kicking all kinds of ass.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I know Rippa will likely create a thread for the show so I'll wait on giving full opinions of the show, but holy fuck this was an amazing episode.  Given the past couple months dare I say it but NXT is kicking all kinds of ass.

Seriously, there was so much good happening before the Black/Reilly match and then the match happened... wow.

• Like 1

Yeah, this was amongst the best episode of NXT this year.

The Asuka/Moon confrontation was fantastic character building for Asuka. From now on, I'm going to pretend Moon is a crazed fan cosplaying.

The Street Profit promos are getting me really hyped. And Red Cup Rebellion? That's kinda ingenious.

Hitomi finally on the right path and it''s a great start (top anigif not withstanding).

I love how they are booking Aleister Black; at first it was odd how he actually had to work hard for the win in his debut but in the long run, it just makes his resume just that much better since he's not being fed chumps, these are damn fin wrestlers on his win column. And I gotta admit, Kyle O'Reilly was kinda goofy with his entrance (his weird shoulders to arms ratio/musclemass doesn't help). But fuck all that because, in ring, it makes so much sense. The match was probably one of the better examples of MMA influenced matches.

I can not wait to see more of Kyle O Reilly. The inevitable Kyle O Reilly vs Lorcan is getting me salivating already.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I wonder if they're going anywhere with Black facing off against Fish and O'Reilly in two straight matches.

It seems to be the case so that should be fun to see an unofficial/official reunion of ReDragon in NXT.

Holy bats that was one helluva show.  The Asuka segment made me believe in Ember as a capable challenger.  The killer slap followed soon after by an Eclipse out of nowhere was so, so great.  And Hideo's gone full dickhead so this is going to be great to see him against Aleister.  Speaking of which, that Black/O'Reilly match was fantastic.  It felt so much like an MMA fight and with Mauro calling it if you closed your eyes at times you thought it was one.  it really played to both their strengths and O'Reilly couldn't have asked for a better debut even in losing.  As I said before NXT is really finding its groove again and thank goodness for that.

• Like 1

Ok first off I have to get this out of the way; if you want to be an MMA fighter go do MMA. Black incorporates into his character, but it isn't his whole character which I'm fine with.

Best part of the show was the Asuka/Ember angle. I like that Roddy is still coming after Roode. I thought they gave O'Reilly too much in this match. He reminds me of Lorcan if Oney started cosplaying a generic UFC fighter. Just when you think Mauro can go an entire episode without saying something stupid he drops that line at the end mentioning the all time great in ring rivalries after Black/O'Reilly lol. I'm more hyped for Ember/Asuka than any Summer Slam undercard match.

• Like 1

The Asuka/Ember segment was great. I love this feud. I wish the announcers would touch on their last match. Or Ember. Asuka had beaten everyone cleanly. There are no fluke wins. Except against Ember, where she pulled the ref in her way. Asuka is afraid of The Eclipse, which is a death move she can't counter. And Ember knows this. Asuka put up a good front last night with her ego trip and cheap shot but ended up the one seeing the lights. The only other time she got got was in the build up to the four way match. That match should have some great psychology behind it. So psyched.

The Street Profit segments are great. I am really looking forward to a fun loving team of baby faces. These feel like an updated, hip-hop version of The Fantastics intro videos. 

I drifted in and out of the Black/O'Reilly match and need to rewatch. I hate the whole "OMG IT IS HIM!" debut so much. Is O'Reilly sticking around? If it was a one off, I get it. But if he is staying there then it is so lazy. I also want to see some more promos from Black. Great wrestler with an awesome look, finished and (most importantly) name. But I want to know more of what he's about. Great package that is close to being a full one.

Bobby Roode's promo was so great. I love how insufferable he is in bossing around the help. Him calling Roddy a trailer park person playing lottery tickets was a great line. 

• Like 2

I don't and have never watched ROH. I am somewhat familiar with some of the bigger names just from being an online wrestling fan for over 20 years, but I really dislike how NXT lately has been debuting guys with the "IT'S HIM!" thing. To me, it's like...."It's who? I don't know this guy. Why should I care?". At least with O'Reilly last night, Nigel at least ran down some credentials and where he's been. I don't remember them doing that with Bobby Fish or even Roderick Strong. They have to stop expecting that everybody watches every promotion and knows who all these guys are. On one hand, I understand wanting the surprise element by having a known guy pop up out of nowhere. But on the other, this isn't 1997 anymore and there isn't a Monday Night War where a majority of every roster is well known to just about every wrestling fan. Or at least after they make their surprise debut, follow it up the next week or so with a vignette to hype the guy up and explain to everybody else who the guy is and why we should care.

• Like 2

Really good show. Gargano/Mendoza had a fun sprint although the finish sequence was a little wonky.

Asuka/Ember was fantastic and really gets over the Eclipse being Asuka's kryptonite. 

I didn't like Deville being all cocky and animated. I prefer her as a straight ahead all business machine, but developing character and trying different things is what NXT is all about. 

Street Profits may have some potential rather than being Cryme Tyme 2017, let's hope so anyway.

Black calmly kicking Itami's lights out was great and their eventual match should be excellent. 

Black/O'Reilly(that's 3 KOs on the roster which has to drive Vince crazy) was hell of a lot of fun. I get the argument against cold debuting guys and letting Kyle have that much offense, but maybe having him go 50/50 could actually build more interest. Who is this guy who just went toe to toe with Black, a guy who just killed Itami? Then you build vignettes off of that.

Or they repackage him and Fish as Paddy McKicky and Robby Carp the new tag team GreenLizard in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Shit, I forgot all about the Gargano/Mendoza match and I really loved that one too.  Mendoza shined in his CWC outing and last night as well, so I'd be thrilled to see more of him.  Also just remembered Ember not grabbing the title after laying out Asuka.  Add to that the commentary explaining why she didn't and I thought it was a great touch to add to the feud.  Little stuff like that would play out so nicely if she wins at Takeover (I think she will BTW)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JCM said:

I think a guy debuting with no hype and no character shouldn't go 50/50 in a long grueling match with an undefeated rising star in the company.

By the way, you know you can see "undefeated rising star" kicking ass while losing in his debut on the UK tourney, right?  

7 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

By the way, you know you can see "undefeated rising star" kicking ass while losing in his debut on the UK tourney, right?  

The UK tournament is NXT cannon now? Black is the #3 singles guy in the division, and I don't think it's a good look to have him struggle like that against an unknown unhyped guy.

Eh, Ricky Steamboat used to make total jobbers look like a million bucks in the 80s and I still was a huge fan.  I'm sure 1987 you would say "Ricky Steamboat is shit. He could  barely beat Tiger Chung Lee." I said it in my first post.  Black made me give a shit and O'Reilly came off as a badass with no hype whatsoever.  If anything, Kyle's next match should be based on "he almost beat the undefeated* Alister Black" and he builds from there.  Now if Steve Cutler then beats him, then forget it.

• Like 1

Black/O'Reilly was great. Nice contrast to the pure squash from Deville earlier. You can see how kayfabe Regal would want to bring O'Reilly back for another look after a showing like that. I like that Black controls a lot of his matches and makes his opponents work for everything. Makes everyone involved look so much better.

Black/KO was pretty awesome.

They did a great job putting KO over as the new guy that's already a threat, with no build up. Black came out on top looking like a tough SOB and black mass was once again put over as a lethal finisher. Just a fantastic main event that made everyone coming out look better. I don't get all the hand wringing and pearl clutching regarding the match lol.

Really should find better shorthand for Kyle O'Reilly.

Anyone else think Sonya Deville was really terrible both in-ring and with her character work? I'm in agreement with everyone's praise for this show outside of that.

13 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Really should find better shorthand for Kyle O'Reilly.

Anyone else think Sonya Deville was really terrible both in-ring and with her character work? I'm in agreement with everyone's praise for this show outside of that.

She's got a long ways to go but I've seen much worse from her.  Whoever told her to be as animated as she was though needs a slap upside the head.

• Like 1

Character-wise, she over-corrected from not showing any emotion to mugging and hamming it up after every damn move. In-ring, she really should have been seen to be at least in a LITTLE bit of peril against a bigger opponent, but these are the sort of mistakes she's gonna make being as green as she is.

• Like 1