DVDVR Message Board

Emilio Charles, Fabuloso Blondy y Pirata Morgan vs. El Dandy, Atlantis & El Faraón (7/21/89)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

God damn this match is incredible.  Starts off with the rudos beating down the technicos, the technicos staging a comeback, but then they actually all go into trios mode and pair up in the ring.  That coming after some heated brawling made everything feel especially intense; Dandy and Charles have already been all over each other and now they're working a great juniors-ish segment with special vigor.  Atlantis also has a great babyface run of offense against Pirata Morgan to end the fall.  Post-fall Dandy and Charles both duck punches from the other then Charles bails to fight another day with the fall lost.  Fight another day he does as he viciously takes it to Dandy in the segunda, smashing him against the turnbuckles and drawing blood.  Pirata ends the fall with a top rope splash on Atlantis and he really comes down like a ton of bricks.  Third fall is really great, the technicos make their big comeback and extract their revenge with gusto.  There's this great segment at the end where some dives are teased and countered, ending with Atlantis slingshotting Morgan over the ropes with a monkey flip followed by a perfect asai moonsault.  El Dandy and Charles square off in the ring to end the fall and it's great in its own right, complete with a Martinete ending.

Dandy and Charles were constantly at each others' throats in this match and it was great.  If the hair match is anything like this it'll be something.  Everyone else played great supporting roles and the Blondy/Faraon pairing was good in its own right.  This will go very, very high on my ballot.

This might just be a top 5 match right now. I even like it better than the Satanico vs Sangre Chicana match I was just raving about. This match is all about building the El Dandy vs Emilio Charles Jr. feud and it does a better job of setting up that feud than any other trios match on this set has done setting up any other feud. It's not just that I want to see these two square off, I'm worried my expectations are now too high. They are intense when they are going after each other but those athletic spots tell me that as much as they may hate each other they are still both determined to be the best. At this point El Dandy has really put everything together. He showed flashes before and had some interesting ideas but now he really looks like the best. In this match he has that perfect balance of great execution, great timing, and great selling. I'm mainly familiar with El Dandy's 90s output which is incredible but in this match I really feel like I've seen the turning point in his career.

• 4 weeks later...

We open up and Emilio Charles Jr. just starts beating the piss out of people, audibly. Blondy does a dual-handed throat chop and I did the Tenzan Mongolian Chop hiss out loud like the drunken fool I am. You can tell he is really not in his element as he basically pins himself in una caida -- at least there is some decent begging off to go with his ineptitude and horrible makeup. Meanwhile, Atlantis makes everything he does look effortless and you wonder how. Eventually the rudos take over and Charles looks to take Dandy's scalp home with him. Pirata ends it with a fantastic Rey Jr.-esque splash. The big story here is Emilio vs. Dandy and eventually the former is drizzling blood down his chest. They get upstaged by Atlantis busting out a quebrada which is a first for the set. Emilio and Dandy trade a bunch of falls until Dandy finally gets blasted with el martinete to pick up the win. Blondy was visibly out of his league but otherwise this was a nice setup for the apuestas match to follow, with some nice highspots and matwork to keep it flowing. 

• 8 months later...

The really great brawls on this disk have been loaded with spots that see someone halfway out of the ring being rammed into the Corona signboards. The one Charles gives to Dandy during the second fall might have been the best of all of them - and I pretty much loved all of those spots. 

• 1 month later...

The rudos start out strong with a lot of double- and even triple-teaming, but the technicos come back, with Dandy causing Charles to take a good, sliding backwards bump to the floor.  Charles really goes after Dandy in the second fall, opening a cut and biting away at it.  Charles does indeed bang Dandy into the wooden ring siding with gusto.  The second fall ends with Morgan hits a splash off the top turnbuckle onto Atlantis as Blondy holds Atlantis down.  Dandy comes back on Charles in the third fall, posting him several times and then biting and even head-butting him.  Dandy chases bloody Charles into the crowd and posts him again.  It's really is the Dandy-Charles show at this time, as they get some two-counts.  Dandy misses a falling headbutt and Charles hits a tombstone piledriver for the pin.  Before that, Atlantis hits a nice flip-dive onto Morgan.  This was great all-around, easily a top 20 match for me.  It does really make me want to see the Dandy/Charles hair match. 

• 1 month later...

Fabuloso Blondy looks SO out of place in this match that I found it incredibly entertaining. During the rudo dominance section with all 3 guys in the ring he looked like like had absolutely no idea what he was supposed to be doing. I'd love to know how in the world Ken Timbs wound up in Mexico and how long it lasted (I would guess not long)

There were some spots I really liked in this, especially the counter of the triple team submission with Pirata Morgan getting slammed off of Faraon's back to break it up and start the babyface comeback. The ending with Charles & Dandy going mano a mano was really good and this will definitely finish in my top half.