DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXX

HumanChessgame

17 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Meltzer seems to get more discussion and interest from short-changing WWE matches that 1/4 star than if he just gave them 5 stars -- ESPECIALLY since going 6 stars for New Japan. I don't condone it, but that seems to clearly be why he does it. 

Also: If any WWE match was unfairly short-changed this year, Cena-A.J. and Bate-Dunne were both better than the 4-way so there's that. 

My top two WWE matches this year, Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne at NXT TakeOver: Chicago #1.

Meh, still don't give a shit about snowflake ratings anymore.  If you like a match, you like a match.  Not everyone has to like things exactly the same.  I can enjoy a match people say is 3 or 2 and a half stars as much as what people say is a five-star match.  IMHO it's nonsense to get so emotional about star ratings.  Not saying don't rate them, but silly to get upset about them.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:00 PM, The Iron Yuppie said:

Meltzer seems to get more discussion and interest from short-changing WWE matches that 1/4 star than if he just gave them 5 stars -- ESPECIALLY since going 6 stars for New Japan. I don't condone it, but that seems to clearly be why he does it. 

Also: If any WWE match was unfairly short-changed this year, Cena-A.J. and Bate-Dunne were both better than the 4-way so there's that. 

But that still raises the issue of Meltzer not giving any WWE match a full five stars. Sure, controversy sells.  But at some point, it comes across as simple bias and refusal to acknowledge that WWE can put out matches just as good as New Japan.

It doesn't matter, really. But since Meltzer's ratings are still the standard-bearer for pro wrestling, we get these conversations.

• Like 1

Love the Usos vs New Day, Sure they deserved to be on the main Show but they probably wouldn't have gotten the same amount of time. Xavier has been really good too, I knew he was good, I remember enjoying his team with Jay Lethal in TNA.

12 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

But that still raises the issue of Meltzer not giving any WWE match a full five stars. Sure, controversy sells.  But at some point, it comes across as simple bias and refusal to acknowledge that WWE can put out matches just as good as New Japan.

It doesn't matter, really. But since Meltzer's ratings are still the standard-bearer for pro wrestling, we get these conversations.

For sure. I see wrestling as an art, and the quality of art is largely subjective. At the same time, there are critics for all forms of art. I think of Meltzer like Roger Ebert as the preeminent critics of their respective mediums. 

I knew I was going to agree with Ebert's assessment certain types of film, but the dude HATED horror movies (which I love). He was always going to view the genre with an inherent bias.  

• Like 1

I actually think Dave rated it way too high. Everything after the table spots was very cookie cutter. Had the built the match up to the chaos outside the ring it might have worked better for me. Usos/New Day smoked it in terms of match quality.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...