DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXX

HumanChessgame

I'm about halfway through this show now and had to go do other things but good lord, why is this 4 hours long? It's just too damn long. I'll stick through it because I still really want to see the 4 way so very much but dang. It feels like watching a UFC card nowadays, and that is not a good thing, the endless nothing prelims with one interesting fight sprinkled in started to really sour me on the entire sport of MMA.

Honestly, the best moments so far were Enzo slipping out of the cage just to get flattened and the dumb KFC ad. Oh, & Cesaro bursting the beach ball. But yeah, that tag match & Alexa vs Sasha were the only in ring moments which haven't felt like a chore. Just a bit disappointing after watching the hot NXT show on Saturday.

The Uso/New Day feud has reminded me how fucking good Xavier Woods is as a professional wrestler

I haven't always been their biggest fans but the Usos are easily in the Top 5 greatest WWE/F tag teams ever

• Like 4

just watched the top 2 matches. Jinder vs. Nakamura was just...terrible.

The main was quite good and I am heartened to see just big guys doing basic spots be over as FUCK, when did that happen? And they (the workers and the production) definitely told an interweaving story up well, planting the Brock/Braun seeds. But it didn't really strike me as above the ordinary chaos of a multi-man/jr tag style match. I liked it but didn't rise above Asuka/Ember for me, let alone hit any kind of standard for MOTY of WWE or wrestling as a whole.

It's so, so far from the biggest problem with his work, but: Jinder's gyno is just hilariously obvious, and the close-up/swoop-around shot they do during his entrance just highlights his bacne. Even putting aside the more important potential issues with steroid use for a second, if you're going to use, at least dose/stack/cycle like a professional. It's one thing to push a would-be bodybuilder; but every decent size gym in America has someone doing a better Ronnie Coleman impression. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sevendaughters said:

just watched the top 2 matches. Jinder vs. Nakamura was just...terrible.

The main was quite good and I am heartened to see just big guys doing basic spots be over as FUCK, when did that happen? And they (the workers and the production) definitely told an interweaving story up well, planting the Brock/Braun seeds. But it didn't really strike me as above the ordinary chaos of a multi-man/jr tag style match. I liked it but didn't rise above Asuka/Ember for me, let alone hit any kind of standard for MOTY of WWE or wrestling as a whole.

Asuka vs. Ember Moon was the match of the weekend and a MOTYC. Thought it was great on my first viewing and more the second.

57 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

There are so many capable guy on Smackdown to be the world champion. There is no reason on earth why Jinder shouldn't be the US champ. That shit would "get him over" in India the same as a world title, if that even is a thing.

Jinder Mahal's shit. One of the most unlikely world champions ever. He's WWE Champion while fucking AJ STYLES is WWE United States Champion. Since John Cena dropped the WWE Championship to Bray Wyatt at Elimination Chamber 2017, the booking of the belt/title fucking sucks.

• Like 6

I like Jinder more than most, but everything about that match was terrible.  Poor Nak.  I wasn't a big fan of him obviously phoning it in on NJPW tour shows, but I'm having trouble blaming him here for being disinterested.  This probably isn't what he jumped to the WWE for.

Show was alright, but you could have skipped all of the first 900 matches except the USOs match and not missed a thing.  Really, aside from the main, you could have skipped everything and been just as well off.  Cass beating Show and booting Enzo as soon as he got out of the cage was one of those segments they're going to look back on later and wonder why.  It was Lord Tensai pins John Cena" levels of right-idea-wrong-guy-to-waste-it-on.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Uso/New Day feud has reminded me how fucking good Xavier Woods is as a professional wrestler

I haven't always been their biggest fans but the Usos are easily in the Top 5 greatest WWE/F tag teams ever

Has anyone improved as much as Xavier Woods? He was terrible in NXT and awful during the first call-up. He found his legs as the Michael Hayes but he's a great Ricky Morton right now. He's really become an all-time great tag worker and can go as both a cheapshot loud-mouth heel and has really become an all-time plucky babyface. 

The Usos are super sneaky great. They're like the Tim Raines or Adrian Dantley of wrestling. No one talks about them as all-timers since they were never really the anchors of the tag division but then you look at their output and they're pretty spectacular. 

1 minute ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I like Jinder more than most, but everything about that match was terrible.  Poor Nak.  I wasn't a big fan of him obviously phoning it in on NJPW tour shows, but I'm having trouble blaming him here for being disinterested.  This probably isn't what he jumped to the WWE for.

He had a world title match (second billing) on the third biggest show of the year and he hasn't even been on the main roster for a year. He lost a match via a heel with a faction. He also beat Cena clean and had a dominant run in NXT. You can't really get more of a push than that.

1 minute ago, Greggulator said:

He had a world title match (second billing) on the third biggest show of the year and he hasn't even been on the main roster for a year. He lost a match via a heel with a faction. He also beat Cena clean and had a dominant run in NXT. You can't really get more of a push than that.

It's a push alright but we've seen earlier in the card a number of wrestlers with stalled pushes who came in hot. Nakamura's in a precarious position, just like Bray, Balor, Corbin, Miz, Ambrose, et. al. before him. Sure he can thrive in the midcard and make more money, but there's also a hope that he does more than that because we all know he is better than this B-show fuck finish bull. Nakamura losing on Summerslam is not like Cena getting pinned through nefarious means on TV. He needs insulating and protecting from these nickel and dime dimbulb heel cheat bollocks. He needs to not have to make a WWE Champion get his finisher right by feeding him the arm because he's too thick to remember to go under the arm.

This is - potentially - a Rusev situation, a Ryback situation, a Cesaro situation. A guy with a big upside if the downsides are downplayed. This could be a mishandling at a time when there are a lot of eyeballs and extra coverage, coverage that will tail off during the 'chase' period of this angle that may or may not culminate in his eventual win. That he gets put in there with someone who can not never no way no how have even anything close to a good, let alone great, match (part of the reason Nakamura was signed, face it) and then goes under to one finisher after taking much of the match? That's not good.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

There is going to be an aspect of the fanbase that refuses to accept anything other than Shinsuke Nakamura: Special Attraction Worldbeater. They don't even book Strowman like that, so there will be handwringing from that part of the fanbase after every WWE show regardless of Nak's push. It probably doesn't help that the guy he lost to embodies all of the most infuriating aspects of Vince's booking (very clearly roided-out Evil Foreigner who is very uninteresting in the ring).

I'llsay this, of Mahal/Nak: That front thrust kick that Nakamura did to Mahal's chest, when Mahal was on the apron?  Yeah, Mahal could probably taste his sternum after that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The absolutely best would have been Enzo breaking both his legs jumping down but eating the boot was an acceptable alternative

They missed a golden opportunity to have Big Show wake up, see an oiled up Enzo in his boxers lying in the ring, and ask Cass "What the hell did you DO?"

• Haha 5

What does this company have against Rusev that they continue to bury him like that? Big Handsome Rusev would be such an amazing face. But we need generic foreign bad guys.

This show was such an endurance test to sit through watching at home. At Takeover with an uncomfortable seat and no leg room and two arm rests digging into me, I was way more awake during that show than I was during Summerslam. All the stuff on at 7 pm could have been pre-show. Having Cena kick off the show was kinda insane, but I guess he was like Hogan in the old MSG days and wanted to beat traffic.

Nakamura losing just sucked the air right out of the building. They were so lucky most of the crowd didnt leave right than and there. Would have been amusing seeing the 4 way in a half empty building. Just like the start of the show.

Brock vs. Braun when it happens one on one will be amazing.

11 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Loved Alexa/Sasha, hate that Alexa lost since it seems like she lost every match since winning the title, but at least it was to Sasha. Glad their feud got to have a proper conclusion after all but I'm good with it continuing too. Very solid overall match. Shocked to see Natalya beat Naomi clean. I liked Naomi as champion but cool for Natalya to get another run unexpectedly.

Yea I enjoyed both women's matches too and felt the same on the conclusions. I was shocked to see Nattie win but, as much as I enjoyed Naomi as champ, it's cool that Nattie gets another moment. I was expecting Carmella to pull the swerve and cash in on Sasha though. lol 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Probably Corbin just because he had farther to fall. They retconned his MITB worse than Sandow.

Rusev was off tv for months then brought back explicitly to job to Cena and Orton. There was never any illusion that he was getting pushed.

Ruse didn't even get to be in the new Southpaw episodes. :(

The first 5 mins or so of the main event was booked almost like a well presented and well executed 2002 CZW main event,  Reigns as The Messiah, Joe as Lobo, Lesnar as Justice Pain and Strowman as Zandig.  Just awesome stunt spot after awesome stunt spot. So weird/awesome seeing that style in WWE.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can only hope that we get Daniel Bryan and Shane McMahon feeling that Nakamura deserves a rematch because of the Bollywood Boyz interference, and we get a cage match on SD. The Indo-Canadian champion didn't boost business in India, so it should be time to end the experiment. I almost checked out after Nakamura/Jinder, but I'm glad I didn't. My only gripe with the main event was that Joe definitely felt like an afterthought.