DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXX

HumanChessgame

41 minutes ago, maciej said:

I thought the finish on that main event was a little flat compared to the super-intense first half but still, so much of that made me so happy. 

The first 10 minutes of absolute carnage was some of the best stuff you'll see in WWE. Then it turned into a regular 4 way match and was far less entertaining. Still pretty great.

Brock should only be allowed to work with guys that are as strong as he is or in the ballpark. No more squashes, just multiman chaos shit and short but violent and brutal singles matches like the one with Goldberg. He's pretty fucking terrible when trying to have a standard match these days and is beyond the shits when it comes to working with guys who aren't booked as monsters. 

Guys, we need to talk about Shane. He looked like Tom Berenger, he was so blown up. His blood pressure was so high you could've popped him with a pin.

I scanned through a lot, but it looked like a nightmare of a show outside of the tag and the main event. WWE: the most profligate company in wrestling history. WCW bookers blush.

• Like 2

Instead of having the Enzo in a cage match, they should have just sent out Drifter again. "Hold on. I wasn't finished." The place would have erupted.

The main event and the two tag title matches made this show well worth it. Cruiserweight match was good. Everything else was decent to EH. Takeover was a lot better. Still had a good time.

I was supporting Braun from the day he debuted. With his look and presence, if they did not do a terrible job booking him, he would be super over. That he actually became good was just a bonus. 

They could have booked a ten minute smoke and mirrors match with Taker and Braun that would have been entertaining. But it probably would have adversely effected Braun's development. The way they did it with Braun doing squashes on TV while working veterans on house shows was the right move. 

• Like 1

Glad Sasha won, by the way. I'm looking forward to the return of Sasha vs. Bayley. History says that's where the greatest action will be.

But hopefully WWE aren't so deaf that they try to make Sasha the heel. The boo virus has spread for Bayley. They can't stop it now (just ask Roman). Bayley should be stealing that title through shady means soon.

• Like 1

Surprised to see Neville regain the title that quick just like that, but I dig it. Still the best in the division but there's no one else I really care to see him feud with. Usos/New Day was excellent. Didn't think they would top their last match but this one was on fire, and got the most time of anything before the main event. Felt bad for the Hardys to get the half empty arena spot.

Loved Alexa/Sasha, hate that Alexa lost since it seems like she lost every match since winning the title, but at least it was to Sasha. Glad their feud got to have a proper conclusion after all but I'm good with it continuing too. Very solid overall match. Shocked to see Natalya beat Naomi clean. I liked Naomi as champion but cool for Natalya to get another run unexpectedly.

Enjoyed Cena/Corbin while it lasted but ending up feeling like a repeat of their SDL match from January. Corbin goes down to 1 AA again and that's that for him. Didn't expect Jinder to win off just 1 finish either. Liked Owens/Styles but expected more physical involvement from Shane O. Main event was incredible, awesome stuff all the way through. Figured Brock to retain but not by pinning Reigns, hell of a match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

The first 10 minutes of absolute carnage was some of the best stuff you'll see in WWE. Then it turned into a regular 4 way match and was far less entertaining. Still pretty great.

Yeah, everything up until the stretcher job was amazing.  After that, it was a pretty standard "two guys wrestle while everybody else sleeps on the outside until it's time to dosey-doe and change dance partners" WWE multiman match, with much of that undermined by the fact that everybody knew nothing mattered until Brock's inevitable return.

• Like 1

ok just now got to a keyboard, quick thoughts since I haven't had time to read general opinion. Same reminder from the takeover thoughts: I have skipped all WWE programming from Wrestlemania to this weekend, and only really watched because of the free trial and because I want Candace LeRae or Princesa Sugehit to win the Mae Young Classic and I'm not looking up spoilers.

-Jason Jordan made me feel sad with how awkward he looked next to the Hardys, which is either like "aw you're too green for this" or "wow you are really good at acting amazed that your dad put you in this position"
-Neville/Tozawa was good as heck. Kind of bummed that Tozawa just won the belt to put drama on the match after the summerslam match.
-New Day/Usos was match of the night. They fucking went for it and it was great. Xavier has turned the corner since the last time I saw him and was really throwing down and belonging in there.
-Cena/Corbin was fine but the headdrop makes me think Corbin is about to get Superstar Shook in half.
-I don't... really understand why Natalya won, unless they're doing the rematch on tuesday and Naomi goes through hell to win and then gets cashed in on.
-I don't... really understand blah blah shark cage blah blah enzo dumb
-sucks that they cancelled orton/rusev
-Banks/Bliss didn't strike me as having a story? Maybe I missed it because I was in conversations with people but it just seemed like Hella Moves Until Finisher. There was some mysterious shoulder work. I probably missed it. Either way it didn't hold my attention.
-Balor/Wyatt also did not have a story or anything memorable. One of my friends (not a regular wrasslin watcher) remarked that Balor's demon thing just makes him look like an under-dressed cybergoth.
-Rollins/Ambrose vs. Sheamus/Cesaro was probably great but I got pulled into a weird argument about OJ Simpson during it so I didn't get a chance to absorb it. Did see the beach ball murder though, that was amazing. I kept thinking "and NOW Seth turns" because I ultimately want every angle to be Ole Turns On Dusty.
-Styles/Owens was good stuff. Styles took his life in his fucking hands a few times here on like transitional spots and that was weird but otherwise good stuff.
-I was SO into Jinder/Nakamura, but it ended so abruptly that I just felt like "hold on, I wasn't done with that". The video package built up a match that it doesn't sound like the TV shows built up. I could only imagine the shuddering screaming the internet gave Nakamura losing clean on a single poorly hit finish, since my phone was across the house.
-Four Way was pretty fun. Braun should have won, he is clearly the people's champion. He does like Power Stunts and it gets over like fucking crazy. Weird how letting a guy look like a badass and do cool stuff makes him popular.

I, as I felt after NXT, feel no compulsion to resubscribe until Rumble season, but for free, I do not regret spending my time on it. Looking forward to the Mae Young Classic tho!

20 minutes ago, BL88 said:

Rollins/Ambrose vs. Sheamus/Cesaro was probably great but I got pulled into a weird argument about OJ Simpson during it so I didn't get a chance to absorb it. Did see the beach ball murder though, that was amazing. I kept thinking "and NOW Seth turns" because I ultimately want every angle to be Ole Turns On Dusty.

When Ambrose was on the floor and Dean was being worked over, I was expecting it to be Barry Windham betraying Lex Luger. Finishing sequence ended up being great. 

Thought this was a pretty decent show overall. I mean, yeah, there was plenty of usual WWE blah-ness to go around, but we got a lot of good things too and the crowd was great.

The whatever pile:

• The empty arena 6-man
  • Tozawa's one-week title run
  • Corbin and Rusev getting buried
  • Enzo continuing his all-time burial amidst Show/Cass
  • Nattie winning
  • KO/AJ being overbooked and Shane looking like an idiot as ref
  • Jinder/Nak (I know there's something to be said for Nak winning the Rumble and what not, but I'm a firm believer in strike while iron's hot, and god damn... Did you hear the heat disparity between those entrances?)

The great pile

• Sasha getting a ppv title win and getting another solid match out of Alexa. Also had a super smart finish that the announcers didn't put over with Sasha locking in the Bank Statement by grabbing her wristband instead of using her injured arm she couldn't grip with. The stage is set for a Bayley turn especially with Sasha competing and winning with a "shoulder injury."
  • Usos/New Day killing it on the pre-show
  • Raw tag title match being good (plus Cesaro's epic beach ball destruction)
  • The first half of the main event. Motivated Brock is still one of the best in the game, and Braun had a star-making performance. Brock retaining is a bit of a shock. I wonder when his next program (hopefully Braun) will be.

• Like 2

It sounds like some folks in here hated the show but I thought top to bottom it delivered.   There were a couple results that maybe I wasn't too thrilled with but that's it. I didn't feel like there was a bad match on the show outside of Big Show and Cass.  

Most of my gripes are just personal taste.  For instance, I wanted Naomi to retain.  I don't see much potential in Nattie as champion and Naomi has really come into her own and was having a good run. But the match itself was pretty good. 

I was happy to see Sasha win over Alexa but I felt it needed a little more time and I still think Sasha is going to be a transitional champion sadly. 

My only other gripe is with Nakamura and Maharajah. I didn't like the finish just because it was SO painfully obvious and something they've done a few times already.  I'm not pissed that Nakamura didn't win the title because he was protected here and his chase just started.  He beat John Cena clean, that's all you need to know about how they feel about him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

I almost wonder if they're gonna pull the trigger with Nak on Tuesday. Pop SDL for a big rating with a WWE Title change

Don't fool yourself.  WWE has an India tour in September so he keeps the strap at LEAST through then.

• Like 1

Holy fuck the first stretch of that main event. Holy fuck.

It was still good after the stretcher job, but everything up to that was wrestling nirvana. Holy fuck.

The rest of the show was mostly matches that ranged from slightly above average to pretty okay. Too damn long (yet Rusev can't get five minutes in six hours of show?!?) but the main event. Holy fuck.

• Like 2

Probably Corbin just because he had farther to fall. They retconned his MITB worse than Sandow.

Rusev was off tv for months then brought back explicitly to job to Cena and Orton. There was never any illusion that he was getting pushed.

Cherry picked what I wanted. Main event between Lesnar/Joe/Reigns/Strowman was the match of the night with the bomb throwing and Braun fucking people up as the Monster among Men. Thought it was Joe or Braun's time.

Great pre-show match between New Day and Usos. Glad I didn't skip it.

I really liked Bliss vs. Banks with them bringing the hate as apparently they don't like one another. Bliss' best match topping their Great Balls of Fire bout. Shame Bayley got hurt though this was the match to do in the first place.

Also liked Ambrose/Rollins vs. Cesaro/Sheamus.

Amazing the quality difference/revolution of the tag team and women's divisions. So great and welcome to see!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Also, when Strowman came up as the Wyatts new guy, he was green as fuck, couldn't talk, and could barely wrestle. His learning curve has been nothing short of astonishing. Like, in the conversation with Angle. 

Meltzer told a story a few months ago (I think it was on a radio show and not the actual WON) of how Vince specifically told Braun not to do something in the match but Braun forgot and did it.

Vince started raging backstage to HHH and said something like "GOD DAMMIT! IS HE EVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET IT?!?!?!"

And HHH just replied "You do realize this is only like his 10th match, right?"

• Like 5

6 hours ago, nate said:

Enzo squeezing his ass out of the shark cage and landing into a faceful of boot was the absolute best.

The absolutely best would have been Enzo breaking both his legs jumping down but eating the boot was an acceptable alternative

• Like 3