DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXX

HumanChessgame

1 minute ago, just drew said:

Y'all remember a couple years back when a bunch of neckbeard virgins burned the internet down when they heard Vince was considering 'Taker/Strowman for Mania that year? People are stupid.

That match wouldn't have good at all. Taker needs a good hand in the ring and at that time Braun was nowhere near where he's at now.

• Like 1

1) That main event was just chaos. Absolutely spectacular. I'm so excited for a Braun/Brock 1-on-1 match. 

2) Jinder beating Nak was LOL with every nerd in the audience looking like they were going to cry. Nak's chase for the title officially starts. He hasn't even beefed with Jinder beyond being the number one contender. Now he's going to tear apart the Singh's and solve the Jinder puzzle over the course of a few weeks. 

3) Ambrose/Rollins vs. Cesaro/Sheamus was a blast. Great match.

4) The non-wrestling fans I watched this with bugged the hell out for the Bray/Finn entrances and match. I liked the story of that match a lot -- Finn getting in Bray's head.

5) Someone just pointed out that the Shield's 5-Year Anniversary is Survivor Series. I really hope we're going that way and we get Shield vs. Wyatts again.

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

Y'all remember a couple years back when a bunch of neckbeard virgins burned the internet down when they heard Vince was considering 'Taker/Strowman for Mania that year? People are stupid.

Give me a fucking break.  Strowman two years ago and Strowman now aren't even remotely the same person.  Lesnar fucking massacred Braun at the Rumble last year.  Braun gave him a receipt tonight.

Wonder how different that PPV is if Nakamura doesn't drop Cena on his head and Corbin doesn't mouth off on Twitter to a veteran.

Between those 2, Enzo having backstage heat, people still down on Owens for his appearance and even Rusev still seemingly being punished for going public with his engagement...so many results decided by "Ehh, fuck this guy".

• Like 2

- Pre-show tag was so good. Probably second best match of the night.

- CW match was whatever. That division needs to be thrown into the sun. Why do we even need weight divisions in 2017? 

- If you skipped pre-show, also track down the Elias segment. So good. 

- Cena pretty definitively ended Corbin. Good for him. I hope this also ends the "opening a PPV is a sign of disrespect" complaint. If Big Match John can open a show, anyone can. 

- I think Nattie is kind of terrible but this was her first title win in seven years and the company did almost kill her husband so it was nice she had her moment. Annoying they didn't at least tease the Carmella cash-in but that's coming soon-ish. 

- The Battle of the Bigs was awful and this feud is going to kill off both Cass and Enzo. It probably already has. 

- Orton vs Rusev was, well, I don't fucking no. I guess a quick flash loss is better than them going eighteen and putting the crowd into a coma. Rusev is going to need  a reboot. Either a switch to Raw or a shift in how he's presented. I literally don't know what they can do with Randy Orton anymore. He's a big enough star and young enough that you want to utilize him as a featured guy but he's not a good fit in the main event scene and is just coming off a pretty flat run on top. Do you put him in a tag team? Move him to Raw? 

- Alexa vs Sasha was solid and a surprise win. Brooklyn booed the shit out of Bayley so that is now A THING. Bayley going heel on Sasha, I think, gets us to a good place. I mean, everyone always wondered what Cena would be cool like as a heel when the crowd started to shit on him, or Roman. I'm curious to see how Bayley will fare. 

- Finn vs Bray was whatever. Wyatt does nothing for me and Baylor is a main event babyface but kind of fucked because legit dinosaurs are having a really great program on top. 

- The Bar vs Shield was really good. Not as good as the SD match but well worked. The Bar kind of bores me, especially in hour 88 on a work night but it was a hot finish. I still think the money is in the Ambrose heel turn but those guys have nothing to do so a tag run works. Them against the Hardys works as a semi-main level match.

- AJ vs Owens was good nearing great. The Shane stuff was always going to take away from the flow but once it shifted into the spamming finisher portion of the match it got really solid. I thought it was very smart that after a slew of title changes you ended with three title matches where the champs retained. 

- Nak vs Jinder started off decently enough and then just went to hell. All-time awful 1980s house show level finish. Was Bill Watt's backstage telling the Japanese dude to mail it in so he didn't overshadow the main eventers? Jinder blew his fucking finish, too. I've liked Jinder well enough and thought the Orton matches were good enough but this was trash. I know the feud must continue and all, but this is like the JBL run minus competency, charisma and a Cabinet. 

- Main event was a goddamn war. Maybe the most fun WWE match of the year. Reigns definitively defeated so not sure where we go from there. The match is Braun vs Lesnar. They shouldn't waste that on a B-show. Joe didn't do much, unfortunately, but he'll be fine. 

1 minute ago, just drew said:

Getting a little defensive in here. Strowman has FARRRR exceeded any original expectations. And damn, was that match violent...

Because your original comment was kinda stupid.  Taker would have beaten Strowman in a shit match at WM that would have done neither man any favors because Braun wasn't ready at that time. And he also would have lost.  THIS Braun would probably destroy Taker in under ten minutes.   

• Like 1

Just now, sydneybrown said:

Because your original comment was kinda stupid.  Taker would have beaten Strowman in a shit match at WM that would have done neither man any favors because Braun wasn't ready at that time. And he also would have lost.  THIS Braun would probably destroy Taker in under ten minutes.   

I'm sorry you think that. MY point, and perhaps I could've made it better, is that sooo many people immediately shit on Braun because he had no indy experience or nXt resume, and now he's probably the guy who's style best fits his character in the entire company.

2 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Hard to say because Braun was protected by the booking from the start. What happened with Brock in the Rumble was Braun not having enough experience to protect himself. He was too tentative and Brock took advantage of it. Tonight he has more experience and knew better. 

I only saw the main, which sounds like a blessing. I really liked how it had most of the tropes of the multi-man matches but carried them out in really audacious, spectacular ways. It also helped that it involved four guys with well defined characters who can seriously go. Those were some tough and dangerous spots, and they all made it look effortless. 

18 minutes ago, just drew said:

I'm sorry you think that. MY point, and perhaps I could've made it better, is that sooo many people immediately shit on Braun because he had no indy experience or nXt resume, and now he's probably the guy who's style best fits his character in the entire company.

People shit on the idea of Taker-Braun at the time because it would have been awful at the time. Stop pretending Braun was good from the jump just because he's a star now.

• Like 1

Cena/Corbin was ok, but yeah, Corbin is pretty much going nowhere.

Both women's titles matches were solid. Both tag titles matches were really good. Styles/Owens was good and did more for me than their last few matches even with the Shane stuff.

Jinder/Nakamura was average. I'm surprised Nakamura went down to one finisher.

The main event was fantastic. They really managed to deliver the all war they built. Braun looked amazing destroying Lesnar.

Wasn't happy with some of title changes, but otherwise I thought this was a good show.

• Like 1

Tag title matches, cruiserweight title match and the main event were really good.  Unfortunately, some of the dumb shit beyond that destroyed the goodwill I had for this show.

Cesaro destroying that idiot's beach ball will forever be in my heart, though.

Edit to add: the women's title matches were pretty good too, and KO's work in the US title match was fun, but the other stuff still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

6 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

People shit on the idea of Taker-Braun at the time because it would have been awful at the time. Stop pretending Braun was good from the jump just because he's a star now.

I mean the reality is that Braun didn't start having good matches until he feuded with Sami Zayn and even then it wasn't pretty.  

Taker was such a mess physically it would have been a disaster.  Hell the match with Reigns wasn't that good and Reigns more than proven