DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXX

HumanChessgame

Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe vs. Braun Strowman (WWE Universal Championship, if Brock loses, he leaves the WWE)

Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Bayley (WWE Raw Women's Championship)

Neville (c) vs. Akira Tozawa (WWE Cruiserweight Championship)

Jinder Mahal (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (WWE Championship)

Naomi (c) vs. Natalya (WWE SmackDown Women's Championship)

AJ Styles (c) vs. Kevin Owens (WWE United States Championship with Shane McMahon as special guest referee)

Randy Orton vs. Rusev

Not announced but likely-

Cena vs. Corbin

New Day vs. The Usos blowoff match for the SD tag titles

Miz vs. Jason Jordan for the IC title

As far as the Raw tag titles go, I'm thinking a 4 way match between The Hardys, Cesamus, The Revival, and The Club

Big Show vs. Big Cass

Have they announced if Summerslam is going to start ridiculously early?  If so we might get a couple more matches for the preshow. 

8 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Prediction: The Show-Cass match will go less than 10 minutes, but somehow make the show feel like it lasted seven hours.

That will be due to Enzo's opening promo which will probably be longer than the match itself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It is looking - at least at the moment - that Bayley legit hurt her shoulder so that RAW women's match is probably changing

How did it happen? I didn't watch RAW. I don't like any wrestler getting real injuries.

As far as my interest goes this is a one match show with the 4 way title match being the only must see match. I'm sure some of the other matches will deliver and be good matches, but I have no desire to sit though a 5 hour show to watch them. Not doing AJ vs Nak and giving us yet another AJ/Owens match that is just background for the Owens/Shane feud is a complete waste of AJ Styles.

Looking forward to the 4-way, Tozawa/Neville II, & New Day vs. Usos.  Most of the other stuff I'm at least curious about. The only stuff I feel uninterested for sure is Show/Cass, Naomi/Nattie, & AJ/Owens.

The show actually looks solid enough and shows plenty of potential to be more than that. WWE has just be so 50/50 at best for ppvs that its hard to be excited.

They view Wyatt as a main event star and they probably view a Balor slightly below him. No way that ends up on the pre-show. 

Actually, the "this match is TOTALLY pre show LOL" game before every big show is a bit silly. Unless it involves your paycheck it doesn't matter that much and I don't think the company puts that much thought into it. I think that talking point should be put to bed  after the shit fit people threw about the SD women's match  being on the 'mania pre-show only for it to end up with a more meaningless spot quality wise in the semi-main spot that night.

This is an intriguing show. A lot of people are put into higher positions than they've been in the past. 

- Four way is a unique main event. Strowman looks like a long term main eventer unless they Rusev him. Reigns has had a good year match wise and it seems like him and Braun can be run for years at this point. Brock is useless, of course. Joe has risen to the occasion and been the Joe we all knew and love. I really think he ends up with the belt. Reigns winning is anti-climatic. They're somewhat baffled by how to book Strowman and Joe opens up better booking opportunities for the fall. This is a heel promotion now so  Joe as  a reasonably beatable heel fits way more in the wheelhouse. 

- Nak vs Jinder. I'm preemptively annoyed at the "Shinsuke only won because of Bumblebee" takes. The film was long in development and Nak has been closing house shows and dark matches from the second he debuted. He was always being groomed for this match, especially when you factor he was booked against Corbin before this. This screams for the SummerSlam tradition of babyface wins and heel cashes in. They're not putting Jinder over Nakamura. I know like half the board thinks Nakamura is dead and buried and should go back to Japan or whatever, but from every single indicator he's the lead babyface moving forward. Corbin cashing in is whatever. This all leads to Nakamura and Styles by the time get we to 'mania season. 

-  Naomi vs Natalya is interesting. Nattie hasn't been champion since 2010. I think she's kind of terrible and has some of the worst character work in the history of the company but I'm okay with this as a legacy award. Naomi is fine when they actually put her in matches. I doubt they do a Carmella cash-in, especially if Corbin does in the main.

- Neville vs Tozawa should be fine. I bailed on 205 like the rest of the world a few months ago. Titus...WORLDWIDE is amusing enough but those kind of gimmicks have a ceiling. Neville should just have this belt until they decide to unify it with Pete Dunne's UK belt. 

- Alexa vs uh probably not Bayley. I initially though it was a work just based on the odd timing. This is one of those odd deals where Bayley being injured by Nia Jax plays more into the story than anything they could have written. You slip in either Nia or, preferably, Banks and have a lot more interesting avenues moving forward. As noted, this is a heel promotion so Alexa should keep this belt until a babyface gets over enough to run with it. Sasha winning it and losing it back the following month is probably counter-productive. 

- Miz against JJ. Miz is great. Jordan throws good suplexes (but not as good as Gable did against Rusev). I dunno...Jordan has to win but this screams like second match DQ finish. Life inexorably matches towards Jordan going heel. 

-  AJ vs Owens. A legit booking miscue. They have odd chemistry (though SD 8/2 was their best match)  and Owens against Shane would be a lot more compelling. You could have slid AJ against Gable or Rusev or Orton and had a lot more interest.  This seems like the opener. For all the yelling and screaming about Jinder, AJ and Owens and Nakamura have basically been the most featured acts on SD the last few months. Assuming AJ wins and drops it in the fall to....shit, probably Jinder. 

- Orton vs Rusev is severely miscasting Rusev. Him working standard main event heel against Randy and Cena is a pretty awful waste of him. At the very least this match is fresh. No way Rusev wins this. Hopefully the losses lead to a a character shift. 

- Cena vs Corbin  is totally the heel loses clean only to win the belt later trope. Corbin  can be carried to something decent at times but I don't see this as being that time. 

- Assuming Ambrose and Rollins vs The Bar for the tag belts on the main show, complete with the Ambrose turn. Would put Hardys and Revival on pre-show to get the crowd going. I suppose you could do a multi-tag but I think the Ambrose/Rollins stuff is the more important story. 

- Bryan vs Finn. This feud is gonna run for a while. Bray should be shot into the sun but they see him as something special. Finn is one of the few over babyfaces in the company so let's not send him back to NXT just yet. They *could* do something interesting with Bray's swamp magic bullshit trying to control the Demon King or whatever but I imagine they just trade wins until Finn beats him at at the October PPV. 

It would totally suck for Bayley if she's out of SummerSlam but on the other hand Sasha should be in a match also and her and Alexa have unfinished business. I Sasha were to step in and win the title here,  they could go the Hogan/Andre route where Sasha is champion and Bayley works her way up as a challenger and then requests a title shot. 

Then Sasha,  like Hogan,  can be a complete DICK,  just like Hogan was because let's face it Hogan was a fucking DICK to Andre,  and Sasha can make a BROTHER or in this case WE'RE SISTERS excuse as to why she can't put up the title.  

This time,  unlike how Hogan was portrayed as the good guy in the situation,  the right person would turn heel. 

Sorry for the booking post. 

• Like 2

I don't think there's any way the Raw tag title match is anything but Cesaro/Sheamus vs. Shield v2. If anything, the Hardys/Club/Revival stuff feels like pre-show filler.

It's going to suck when Baron Corbin is WWE champ for like 3 months after cashing in on Nak.

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If they're booking it right!

You know, Sasha could take out that thing holding Bayley's side ponytail so we just get her with normal-looking hair.  Bayley was considering that on Austin's podcast and removing that could be the first step in her bringing something more to the table.  I'd be all for this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Any possibility in Cris Cyborg vs Becky Lynch? 

Im hoping it happens. I guess it depends on how bad Dana wants Jones vs Lesnar and if he's willing to wait until next spring for it.

No way Cyborg would do a pro wrestling match and risk her credibility and integrity as a serious drug free MMA fighter.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1