DVDVR Message Board

SDL is PROTECT YA NECK. 8/1/17

Niners Fan in CT

My goodness... My heart is still in my throat. I mean, the fact that he was up on his feet was promising but man that looked really bad.

I can't decide if Nak dumped him on his head or if John's just a little too clunky to take that without landing on his head. Probably in the middle.

• Like 1

Has Cena ever done a backflip/moonsault bump? I don't think him taking that was the best idea. Rusev and Gable have an awesome match to set up a fucking Randy Orton match. AJ will be wasted at Summer Slam while they set up a KO/Shane feud.

Pretty sure they got a shot of Nak apologizing after the match so I'd wager that head drop was a mistake. Great episode aside from that. I really enjoyed Rusev/Gable. Orton needs to go film a movie I'll never watch instead of sleepwalking through feuds.

Fashion Peaks was the best one of those skits yet, too bad it wasn't longer.  I hope we get Dougie Breeze next week.

We're getting yet another AJ/Owens match which is no doubt going to lead to Owens getting wasted in a program with Shane.  I just hope they get that out of the way on a SD ppv instead of trying to stretch it to one of the big ones.

Russev/Gable was a damn good match.  Maybe it's his general look but Gable reminded me of an underdog Bret Hart in that match.  That was a bout that neither guy really needed to lose but I think Russev needed a bit more.  Shame he's getting stuck with (and probably jobbing to ) Orton at SS.

I was inwardly sighing when Cena went for the rolling AA and quite pleasantly surprised when Nak came off with the victory.

Oh, forgot to chime in but Gable/Rusev was an insanely good sprint. In an alternate world those guys are doing weird shit in the G1 tonight. 

Rusev is severely miscast as a humorless heel. Fuck, put  him and Gable together as a fucking SuperPower tag team or some shit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This was a really great show.  

My job has me up very early in the morning so I can't stay up for shows like Raw and SmackDown.  Having tomorrow off and staying up to watch tonight really paid off.

My take on the head drop is that Cena really doesn't know Nakamuras moveset.  I think he didn't rotate over enough because he assumed he was taking a suplex.  Oops.  However, getting up after that is very manly and worthy of a hoot or two. 

• Like 1

Women's tag was fun. Fashion Peaks was neat.

Gable/Rusev was so damn good. I would be happy for Rusev getting Orton if I thought he had a chance in hell of winning. I would rather have more Gable vs. Rusev.

Cena/Nakamura was surprising. The two had chemistry and we got no bs finish. Poor Cena though on what became a backdrop driver. Either he didn't reviewed enough of Nakamura's moveset to know what was happening or was just incapable of taking such a move. This was good, but I feel like we got somewhat screwed by this not being the 20+ epic at Summerslam or Wrestlemania that it could have been.

5 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

I haven't seen a whole lot of Nak in Japan, but has he done that move to anyone close to Cena's size?

Most of the NJPW heavyweights are around Cena's size. I think he did it to both Roode and Joe in NXT as well.

• Like 1

For those that missed the cut over, during the WWE Network feed leading into 205 Live, Corbin jumps Nakamura, Cena fights him and ends up AA'ing him through the announce table.

I wouldn't worry about Gable's push.  There's no shame in him losing to Rusev and if they follow up on it, him having this mini feud where he and Rusev rip it up and he keeps getting closer and closer to getting a win would be a fun story.  WWE loves running match ups into the ground, I don't mind them doing Rusev/Gable every other week, eventually leading to either a draw or the Gable upset.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

I haven't seen a whole lot of Nak in Japan, but has he done that move to anyone close to Cena's size?

I don't think the issue is size, I mean Cena is muscular but he's not particularly tall. He is just 40 years old and doesn't really do that type of bump, that spot takes a lot of cooperation from the person taking it. I am sure he has done it to wrestlers like Goto and Tanahashi who are similar in height and weigh not much less than Cena, they just practice those types of moves more in New Japan and Cena is probably more broken down than he'd care to admit.

• Like 1