DVDVR Message Board

NXT AUGUST 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I for one will never watch another woman's match in NXT because of this injustice.

Wrestling is about stories. As long as there is drama and characters and etc., I will watch. NXT has done such a great job with women's stories and characters. Is the title now Ember's to lose? What about The Iconic Duo? Will Ruby and Nikki claw at each other on the way to the top? Someone from the Mae Young Classic who hasn't been introduced yet? 

Asuka's story is over. The next one begins. That's wrestling. As long as the characters are worth getting invested in, and as long as the drama and tension and story is entertaining, who cares?

Gregg talking about stories made me realize that 

Spoiler

Ember also wasn't on the tapings.  Since they made a big deal of saying Asuka was going to the main roster (which they don't do often), I could see Ember Moon debut by attacking Asuka during her debut.  In other words, this story isn't over, it's just moving to the main roster.

Also, AOP wasnt there either.

While not a perfect solution, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Asuka could come back for a one-off Takeover main event where she challenges for the belt she never lost and puts over whoever the new champ ends up being.  That obviously doesn't carry the same weight as beating her for the belt, but it would make the division seem less like a bunch of losers.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Gregg talking about stories made me realize that 

Reveal hidden contents

She didn't work but was there. She was in the final (taped) segment but who knows how much will air

7 hours ago, Pete said:

I was there live. They absolutely would've bought it. 

What Pete said.  If there was a time for Asuka to drop the belt, Brooklyn was it and Ember was the opponent.

Ember probably would have been the best to beat her. The Asuka thing was great live. I'm interested in how they air it because live they didn't mention the injury. 

Some other things from the tapings that I found interesting

Big night for Adam Cole and the gang. First, they attack Sanity in the parking lot. Then, they attack Drew. After the Dunne/Wolfgang UK title match, they attack Dunne and WolfGang, Dunne walks off while they beat up WolfGang. Tyler Bate and Trent Seven make the save. In the main event of the night,  Kyle and Bobby Fish beat Moustache Mountain in a good match. Drew and Sanity get into a fight with Cole and friends after the match.

Bobby Roode's last match is a loss to Roderick Strong. Bobby was over huge but no fanfare after the match.

Alister's next feud is with the Velveteen Dream. They had a segment that will piss a lot of people off. The dream has upped his gimmick 100%. The crowd loved it however.

With Asuka gone, the big women's feud is Peyton/Billie vs Ruby. Peyton beat Ruby and then they had a 2 on 1 handicap match. Nikki Cross made the save and helped Ruby win.

I'l put this in spoilers for photo/details from wwe.com

WWE Photo

NXT Women’s Champion Asuka relinquished her title to NXT General Manager William Regal last night at Full Sail University in Orlando, Fla. After her dominant performance and historic 500-plus day reign as NXT Women’s Champion, The Empress of Tomorrow looks to her future for new opportunities in WWE, though no specific details are known at this time. Her reign will officially end on the date that her historic announcement airs.

Credit: wwe.com

[/spoiler]

22 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Ember didn't beat her; but she broke her in one of the best matches of the year.

Ember is the one who broke by tapping out. Asuka fought on with a fractured collar bone thus looking like an even bigger bad ass while  winning the match.

18 minutes ago, JCM said:

Ember is the one who broke by tapping out. Asuka fought on with a fractured collar bone thus looking like an even bigger bad ass while  winning the match.

Ember got caught because of a monetary mistake, and Asuka was only in position to take advantage because she cheated twice. This wasn't some "Asuka wins LOL" squash; while I'd have had Ember win, it's really easy to portray her as the person who kicked Asuka out of the territory, wounded and knowing she wasn't good enough without underhanded desperation tactics. It's pretty clear that's not the angle you're seeing--which of course is fine in an individual sense--but I think it's unfair to pretend there aren't viable paths forward and the division is salted earth. 

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic