DVDVR Message Board

NXT AUGUST 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just now, JCM said:
  Hide contents

I really hate that they had Asuka give up the belt. I feel ripped off as an NXT fan who prefers it 10 to 1 over the main roster. Whoever wins the title next is a big geek that couldn't beat Asuka. Plus they have to have another tournament at the same time as the MYC. They took a big shit on the credibility of the next champ so they can say Asuka has a big winning steak the main roster audience doesn't care about.

taping spoilers/rant

Spoiler

They've got an issue with Asuka.  She's hurt, so if they want to get the title off her and get her out, now's the time.  The problem is there isn't ANY woman on the NXT roster at her level.  Either kayfabe or otherwise.  They got the shot, get her out now.  Then focus on building the next round up.  She was supposed to be a stopgap that just exploded, she can't stay down there forever, and really, can't wait for the next credible challenger to show up.  I mean, yeah they got Sane there, but let's be honest, they're gonna have the same problem with her they had with Asuka.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

They've got an issue with Asuka.  She's hurt, so if they want to get the title off her and get her out, now's the time.  The problem is there isn't ANY woman on the NXT roster at her level.  Either kayfabe or otherwise.  They got the shot, get her out now.  Then focus on building the next round up.  She was supposed to be a stopgap that just exploded, she can't stay down there forever, and really, can't wait for the next credible challenger to show up.  I mean, yeah they got Sane there, but let's be honest, they're gonna have the same problem with her they had with Asuka.

Spoiler

The fans would've bought Ember winning at Brooklyn. This is them wanting to use Asuka's NXT winning streak as her gimmick on the main roster. The large majority of those fans don't know or care about her winning streak, and it completely kills the credibility of the next NXT women's champ. Hell it may taint the division for a long time to come. It's a shame really because NXT's women's division was what helped it stand out from the main roster and get the company some buzz.

• Like 1

Spoiler

the only thing that confuses me about this is that if she is too hurt to defend the NXT title (which I believe) then why are they playing it like she is moving up to the main roster. Unless they think that you can put her on the main roster have her kick an Emma or Lana  one time for a pin and that will last for about 3 months.   I guess it depends on when in the tapings this announcement is

20 minutes ago, JCM said:
  Hide contents

The fans would've bought Ember winning at Brooklyn. This is them wanting to use Asuka's NXT winning streak as her gimmick on the main roster. The large majority of those fans don't know or care about her winning streak, and it completely kills the credibility of the next NXT women's champ. Hell it may taint the division for a long time to come. It's a shame really because NXT's women's division was what helped it stand out from the main roster and get the company some buzz.

Spoiler

I'm not sure the fans would've bought Ember winning at Brooklyn. I don't think it hurts the credibility of the division as Asuka had already beaten everyone of note in the division. Building up Asuka on the main roster is easy. She destroys the lower rung women on whatever brand she ends up on and ends up decimating the champ. An interesting thing would be if she goes to Smackdown, remains dominate, wins the title and now Carmella has to be even more picky about when she tries to cash in.

1 minute ago, nofuture said:
  Hide contents

It will be pretty interesting to see where they go from here.  The MYC final is within the window of these tapings so I can't see them doing another tournament to crown a new champion, but what other option is there really?

Spoiler

Have a 2nd tournament with women from the main NXT roster with the winner facing the winner of the MYC.  It's theoretically two totally different shows, so is two tournaments really that big of a deal?

Spoiler

Just do a Six Person Championship Scramble with the winner of the MYC vs. Cross vs. Royce vs. Kay vs. Moon vs. Riot. They are really the only top women who would be in consideration for the belt anyway.

Edited by Brysynner

1 hour ago, JCM said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I really hate that they had Asuka give up the belt. I feel ripped off as an NXT fan who prefers it 10 to 1 over the main roster. Whoever wins the title next is a big geek that couldn't beat Asuka. Plus they have to have another tournament at the same time as the MYC. They took a big shit on the credibility of the next champ so they can say Asuka has a winning steak the main roster audience doesn't care about.

taping spoilers/rant

Spoiler

The alternative is that she stays in NXT and eventually loses.  If they were about to send Asuka up anyway, I think this is a win-win.  She can be the longest reigning champion of any kind in decades and the only person to remain undefeated her entire WWE career.  There is nothing left for her there.  Now she gets a fresh start and hopefully gets a big debut at Survivor Series.  Of course now you have the problem that HHH knew what he had, will Vince?

Yeah - you don't have to use spoiler tags since it is all over the place

That is part of the reason I post my reminder warning now on days of tapings because sometimes the WWE doesn't keep it in their pants

And also in these cases the WWE will put the video up Youtube within the next 24 hours

11 hours ago, Peck said:

Kinda silly.

This likely has something to do with arena concessions/people not being allowed or encouraged to bring in outside drinks. It's a bit of a head scratcher that they'd be going with the Solo cups as the merch for Street Profits if they can't sell them in the arena, though.

It's hard for me to imagine that they weren't building up to Ember-Asuka III considering Asuka was never able to beat Ember without cheating, but it was clearly time for the belt to be taken off her for the sake of the rest of the division. 

Heyman really missed out not selling Sandman beer cups.

I HATE Asuka giving up the belt. It fells like a total rip off to me as a die hard NXT fan. We've invested 2 years watching her undefeated streak, and nearly a year and a half for her title reign. What do we get as the big payoff to this? Absolutely fucking nothing. Imagine if Brock gave up the belt after beating Stroman because no one could beat him and went back to UFC for real competition. How does anyone follow him as a credible champion? They killed the credibility of the next NXT women's champion(and potentially a few more after that) so Asuka could debut on the main roster with a Goldberg like winning streak.

Asuka doesn't need a winning streak to get over. She's the best women's wrestler on the roster, and the most charismatic. Telling the audience she has  200 match 2 year winning streak that they haven't followed isn't going to make her more over. In fact it'll put even more pressure on her to be great right out of the box. I don't think it helps Asuka, and it's a huge blow to the NXT women's division's credibility going forward. Every title match will have mentions of Asuka's reign, and how none of these geeks could beat her.

The problem with Asuka's streak is it got too big and too over faster than NXT could anticipate. This was noticeably a problem after Asuka-Moon 1 when the next set of challengers were the Iconic Duo, Nikki Cross and Ruby Riot. The downside to developmental is no one was ready to replace Asuka. 

Once Asuka kicked out of the Eclipse that was the moment of no return for the next year for her. She had become such a dominant force it would take NXT another year to build up someone to her level. So you're left with a few options. Do what WWE did last night and have her relinquish the title, attempt to build someone up over the next year or have her lose the title and her streak by some fluke which can make everyone look bad?

Supposedly she's Hunter's favorite so I could see him heavily involved with making sure she is presented as a top star in WWE. I hope she goes to Smackdown as she's never wrestled anyone on the Blue Brand on TV before so she could get a lot of fresh matchups. Also they could run a unique storyline where the MITB winner is afraid to cash in because she fears Asuka and Asuka's wrath

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

Once Asuka kicked out of the Eclipse that was the moment of no return for the next year for her. She had become such a dominant force it would take NXT another year to build up someone to her level. So you're left with a few options. Do what WWE did last night and have her relinquish the title, attempt to build someone up over the next year or have her lose the title and her streak by some fluke which can make everyone look bad?

Ember was clearly the choice, as Asuka couldn't have taken the second Eclipse without cheating to get away from it. Not sure how anyone who watched that match still thinks Ember isn't ready.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JCM said:

Heyman really missed out not selling Sandman beer cups.

I HATE Asuka giving up the belt. It fells like a total rip off to me as a die hard NXT fan. We've invested 2 years watching her undefeated streak, and nearly a year and a half for her title reign. What do we get as the big payoff to this? Absolutely fucking nothing. Imagine if Brock gave up the belt after beating Stroman because no one could beat him and went back to UFC for real competition. How does anyone follow him as a credible champion? They killed the credibility of the next NXT women's champion(and potentially a few more after that) so Asuka could debut on the main roster with a Goldberg like winning streak.

Asuka doesn't need a winning streak to get over. She's the best women's wrestler on the roster, and the most charismatic. Telling the audience she has  200 match 2 year winning streak that they haven't followed isn't going to make her more over. In fact it'll put even more pressure on her to be great right out of the box. I don't think it helps Asuka, and it's a huge blow to the NXT women's division's credibility going forward. Every title match will have mentions of Asuka's reign, and how none of these geeks could beat her.

Brock is on the main roster. NXT is the feeder system. Everything you're saying is also moot because they've already had one NXT women's champ (Paige) vacate the title when she moved onto the main roster. Last I checked, when that happened, it didn't kill the credibility of Charlotte, Sasha, Bayley, or Asuka.

Maybe Asuka doesn't need a winning streak to get over, but it sure as hell helped. And when she debuts, that's going to be the talking point. This is the motherfucking terminator of the NXT women's division, the unbeatable Asuka, and she's coming to kick ass and take someone's title. And you're going to tell me that isn't going to help Asuka?

Calm down on all of the hyperbole and hyperventilating. Every title match won't have mentions of Asuka's reign. If it is referenced, so what? It serves more to build her legacy and the legend of Asuka. Anyone who holds that title after her is going to be a-ok, whether if that's Ember Moon, Ruby Riot, Kairi, Nikki Cross, Peyton Royce, or whoever else. Asuka is the high water mark and holding the NXT title is still going to be a huge compliment to whomever holds it.

Asuka got hurt. As was mentioned already, this is the perfect opportunity to move on. You don't have to figure out a way to get the title off of Asuka to promote her up to the main roster. The solution fell right into their laps. If nothing else, this is the perfect ending for Asuka. She cleaned the division out and ended her NXT run on one of her toughest test's as a champion and even though she won, it came at a price. That's going to be something for Ember to boast about. She may not have taken the title from Asuka, but she broke her and took time away from Asuka's career. Then when Ember eventually gets promoted, boom, instant storyline.

Don't think Asuka giving up the belt to move to the main roster is a good idea, but I'm not really surprised about it. Asuka should have lost to Ember. The story and build was there, and the crowd would have completely believed it regardless of how some of us feel about Ember. Asuka running off for greener pastures w/o a loss just makes all of the women currently in NXT look bad. On the other hand it doesn't necessarily mean its bad for the next champ. They just have make the winner of the MYC the champ. The division itself though will likely need something of a reboot, small or large.

I can see why WWE made the decision. It gives Asuka instant cred when she arrives and a story to work with for whichever roster she ends up on. Whats more the streak won't likely last a ridiculous amount of time with her probably losing at a major ppv and possibly main eventing said show depending on how over she is. Honestly WWE is taking a risk that I just have trouble seeing payoff both due to main roster crowds who shift in attitudes regularly and WWE's own inept booking/impatience. Even on the main roster I don't really see a good choice to break it.

45 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Everything you're saying is also moot because they've already had one NXT women's champ (Paige) vacate the title when she moved onto the main roster. Last I checked, when that happened, it didn't kill the credibility of Charlotte, Sasha, Bayley, or Asuka.

The women's title is a far bigger deal now(as is NXT) and it had very little history behind it when Paige moved up. It didn't hurt the Horsewomen because they were better wrestlers than Paige, and they were they ones who really put the division on the map. Who's going to come in and be head and shoulders above Asuka?

51 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And when she debuts, that's going to be the talking point. This is the motherfucking terminator of the NXT women's division, the unbeatable Asuka, and she's coming to kick ass and take someone's title. And you're going to tell me that isn't going to help Asuka?

It could help, but she doesn't need it her talent speaks for itself. Is giving Asuka some help when she may not need it worth gutting the credibility of NXT's women's division?

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Every title match won't have mentions of Asuka's reign.

For the foreseeable future they most certainly will.

If it is referenced, so what? It serves more to build her legacy and the legend of Asuka.

And what exactly does that do for the women still in NXT fighting for a belt Asuka gave up because they couldn't beat her?

If nothing else, this is the perfect ending for Asuka. She cleaned the division out and ended her NXT run on one of her toughest test's as a champion

Yeah a perfect end for Asuka while the women who make up the division she left are seen as second class citizens. How can you call any of the current women in NXT a legit champion when they couldn't beat Asuka while she was there? They will probably have to turn to someone from the MYC to be the champ now, and it almost certainly has to be a heel. How could Ember win a tournament for the belt and be seen as legit at this point? Everyone will just say "yeah but you couldn't beat Asuka". Maybe it'll work out ok, but as someone who has been highly invested in NXT's women's division for 3 years this stinks. 

3 hours ago, JCM said:

Yeah a perfect end for Asuka while the women who make up the division she left are seen as second class citizens. How can you call any of the current women in NXT a legit champion when they couldn't beat Asuka while she was there? They will probably have to turn to someone from the MYC to be the champ now, and it almost certainly has to be a heel. How could Ember win a tournament for the belt and be seen as legit at this point? Everyone will just say "yeah but you couldn't beat Asuka". Maybe it'll work out ok, but as someone who has been highly invested in NXT's women's division for 3 years this stinks. 

If this thread is representative, this isn't anything close to a consensus opinion. Maybe it's not even a majority. I'm not usually the "wait and see" guy in perpetuity, but we really have no idea what their plans were if she didn't get hurt, or what they are now. Ember didn't beat her; but she broke her in one of the best matches of the year. (And Asuka had to cheat again.) You can build on that. And if it is someone from the MYC? Then Asuka never defeated them. 

I do get the concern, insofar as I'm invested too, having watched/cared about NXT for quite a while now. But even if this is a blow to the belt--and apart from losing Asuka's talent, I'm not sure it is--championships have recovered from much, much worse in wrestling history. The division is about to be deeper than ever and as talented as ever at the top; it really should be fine. 

18 hours ago, Brysynner said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I was there live. They absolutely would've bought it. 

• Like 1