DVDVR Message Board

NXT AUGUST 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

37 minutes ago, nofuture said:

So now that NXT has moved on from their TNA signing spree, they're in the middle of their ROH signing spree.  Lio Rush has officially signed:

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/wwe-signs-lio-rush

I guess we can expect the Lucha Underground signing spree this time next year.

Not only am I pleased to see them officially announcing him, but they also mentioned his MCW tag reign with Velveteen Dream!  Forget his ROH ties, that alone makes me extremely happy.  I'm just really glad I saw his last match there and his goodbye speech was really cool.

This is the perfect opportunity to introduce a new NXT women's champion and move Asuka to the main roster. It sucks to be injured, but the timing for this injury couldn't have been better. Her timetable for her return is right around Survivor Series. May as well do a deal there where she says goodbye to NXT at the Takeover that weekend, presents the new champion with the title, hugs Ember Moon or whatever the fuck, and then wins the title on Raw or SDL.

As for Adam Cole, I'm beyond stoked, but man, wow, is he ever skinny/tiny. I really to turn off my RoH filter when watching dudes there and realize that beyond Donovan Dijak, Keith Lee, and a couple others, they're all small. I just recall seeing him before and thinking that he's not huge, but he'd still look big from a presence aspect, kind of like Finn Balor. In this case, I couldn't help look at him as being way too skinny especially next to Drew Mac.

If they're gonna wait two months to crown a new champ, she might as well just hold on to it.  It's only two taping cycles and realistically, there are no credible threats out there for her anyway.  You can use that time to build someone up or even make the Mae Young champ into a killing machine.  They let Brock hold the title forever and almost never defend it.  Two months is nothing.

They could do what UFC does and have an interim champion, and that person has a match with Asuka when she comes back to determine the real champ. I thought Asuka was hurt because she was really favoring that shoulder area towards the end of the match without having much of a reason to selling wise.

The Asuka injury is a really easy problem to get around.  Announce she's injured, then announce that the Mae Young Classic will now crown an interim champion.  Once Asuka is healthy enough to wrestle, they have a unification bout at the next Takeover.  Put the Mae Young winner over, and elevate Asuka to the main roster.  It works for everyone involved.  

It makes zero sense for someone who's never had a televised match on NXT to be NXT women's champ. I don't consider the MYC to be a part of NXT. No one could call themselves any kind of interim champ without beating Ember or Nikki Cross anyway. If Asuka can make the next Takeover then they should just leave the belt on her.

1 hour ago, JCM said:

It makes zero sense for someone who's never had a televised match on NXT to be NXT women's champ. I don't consider the MYC to be a part of NXT. No one could call themselves any kind of interim champ without beating Ember or Nikki Cross anyway. If Asuka can make the next Takeover then they should just leave the belt on her.

I disagree.  Not only do I think you can crown a women's champion without her ever wrestling in NXT, it also sets up multiple feuds with the women who are rightfully upset to be passed over.  After the tournament, they are going to have a huge influx of women and they are going to need to give us a reason to care about them.  There is going to be enough time between the tournament and the next Takeover to have the winner prove herself against some of the established ladies.  

Fantasy booking coming in 3...2...1

Name the winner of the MYC the interim champion, and the next week, Ruby Riot, Nikki Cross, and Ember Moon throw a fit in Regal's office.  He admits they have a point, and decides to have a 4-way on a forthcoming episode of NXT.  Have the interim champ win after a hard fought victory, where she reverses a pinfall or something where whoever ate the pin still looks strong.  The other two will have some issue during the match that will lead to an extended feud, while whoever ate the pinfall is in a position to be the first challenger of the undisputed champion.  Asuka loses the unification match, gets called up.  The interim champion looks like a million bucks.  The #1 contender looks better, because she had the new champion beat before a fluke reversal.  The winner between the other two gets to challenge for the title next.  It sucks that Asuka is out, but they legit have the best possible situation for an unfortunate injury.  

44 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Asuka loses the unification match, gets called up.  The interim champion looks like a million bucks.  

If you're gonna have her sit on the sidelines for two months just to end her streak in her first match back, I'd rather they just strip her now and have her murder the whole roster at Survivor Series.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, supremebve said:

Name the winner of the MYC the interim champion, and the next week, Ruby Riot, Nikki Cross, and Ember Moon throw a fit in Regal's office.  He admits they have a point, and decides to have a 4-way on a forthcoming episode of NXT.  Have the interim champ win after a hard fought victory, where she reverses a pinfall or something where whoever ate the pin still looks strong.  The other two will have some issue during the match that will lead to an extended feud, while whoever ate the pinfall is in a position to be the first challenger of the undisputed champion.  Asuka loses the unification match, gets called up.  The interim champion looks like a million bucks.  The #1 contender looks better, because she had the new champion beat before a fluke reversal.  The winner between the other two gets to challenge for the title next.  It sucks that Asuka is out, but they legit have the best possible situation for an unfortunate injury.  

Ugh please no more 3 and 4 ways for the NXT women. It doesn't help build anyone up.

1 minute ago, MORELOCK said:

Ugh please no more 3 and 4 ways for the NXT women. It doesn't help build anyone up.

They have to introduce 32 women to the roster...you might want to get used to multi-woman matches.  I honestly think they need to start a tag division.  

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

They have to introduce 32 women to the roster...you might want to get used to multi-woman matches.  I honestly think they need to start a tag division.  

Two of the four Takeovers this year have featured multi-woman matches for the Women's title, and you can see how well that has turned out for the women they were supposed to build up: People have been declaring the division dead all year. It isn't a coincidence that the most effective matches in getting a new female star in NXT over were the two Ember-Asuka matches.

They are not adding all 32 women to roster - let alone all at the same time

Some did the tournament as a one time thing - for example Serena Deeb seemed to indicate she was only unretiring for the tournament and that was it

Princesa Sugehit - IF she decides to sign (and that is a big IF) - she won't be showing up for awhile as at a minimum she will be doing a Mask vs. Mask match vs Zeuxis (assuming CMLL hasn't lost their mind any more than they normally do)

Others were not very good and the WWE clearly no longer is interested

Spoiler

I really hate that they had Asuka give up the belt. I feel ripped off as an NXT fan who prefers it 10 to 1 over the main roster. Whoever wins the title next is a big geek that couldn't beat Asuka. Plus they have to have another tournament at the same time as the MYC. They took a big shit on the credibility of the next champ so they can say Asuka has a winning steak the main roster audience doesn't care about.

taping spoilers/rant