DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

On 8/8/2017 at 9:46 AM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

This week's episode of Rick and Morty - "Pickle Rick" - was outstanding.  Maybe my favorite ep so far.  I think the ep with all the imaginary characters (Mr. Poopybutthole) was probably a little better.  "Pickle Rick" was odd and wayyy over the top, but also quite funny.  The B story with the therapist pulled its weight too.

Am I the only one disinterested in the Orphan Black finale this weekend?  I've really enjoyed the run as a whole, but this season just never came together for me.  I feel like they tried to do too much and just didn't have time/writers.  They really haven't advanced any of the clones stories much this season and the cult plotline has been kinda meh for me.  The big bad is kinda dull and underdeveloped compared to previous villains (esp. Rachel and Matt Frewer's character from season 1).  It feels more like a season finale than a series - unless they want to leave things open for a reboot or movie.

Some strong eps this season, but the overall season hasn't grabbed my interest like previous years.

I think the lesson we learned this week is not to let Rick get blackout drunk. . . . .

10 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

This week's episode of Rick and Morty - "Pickle Rick" - was outstanding.  Maybe my favorite ep so far.

Seconded. I've always liked the show, never completely embraced it like others have, but that was a banger. Susan Sarandon and Danny Trejo showing up helped. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 6:53 AM, J.T. said:

So Shondaland is moving to Netflix.  I imagine she'll kill shit on ABC Thursdays after the series finale for Scandal.  It's time for that show to die.

I can't figure out if having to watch the woman binge watch through entire seasons of Shonda shows will be better or worse than the slow excruciating burn of having to put up with them every single week even though I tell her to watch them while I'm at work and yet here it is Tuesday night at 6pm, I just got done making dinner and last weeks Greys Anatomy is being fired up on Hulu yet again. 

I'd rather binge watch the shit in one or two sittings and be done with it. 

I can deal with How To Get Away With Murder when the metaplot isn't too crazy and can I can tolerate Scandal if there is a lot of spy crap in the plot, but the week to week episodes dominate quality time during the weekend for nearly two or three months.

I enjoyed the Pickle Rick episode of Rick and Morty. But it did feel a little too slick and maybe safe. But boy did this episode go in the opposite direction. This dark and hateful (in the best way) take on Marvel movies.

Spoiler

When StarSoldier called Morty a slow kid they use for photo ops. I was hoping he would be dead soon. 

Though the best fuck you is Rick saying

Spoiler

Who the fuck is Noob Noob?

At the big concert.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

This week's Rick and Morty was easily the worst of the season. Not that bad mind you, but Jerry is such an annoying character. Hopefully this wil be the only "jerry episode" this year.. . .

I think you need Jerry there for the show to fully work. Beth is a worse character without Jerry to play off of. Most importantly Jerry is an every man to illustrate how crazy Rick's world is. Even Morty is adjusted to the craziness of it. His conflicts with Rick are moral. 

• Like 1

Can't say I really like Jerry, but I don't hate him either, especially with how he relates to Rick and Beth. I dug this week's episode a decent bit. It was nice to see Rick and Jerry hold an actual conversation. It was also probably the most honest Rick has been with any of the family.

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm way behind on this season of Rick and Morty, but have they done an interdimensional cable tv episode yet?

Nope.

Speaking of Rick and Morty, I watched this week's ep last night.  FWIW, I thought the ep was a lot better than last week's.

I've finally seen the first of the television spots on TNT for the adaptation of Caleb Carr's, The Alienist. 

Super stoked to see this finally on television.  Hopefully it will be super faithful to the source material and TNT will offer uncut episodes on demand.

I'm all caught up on Rick and Morty and Ray Donovan. Man, Ray Donovan has never been a "happy" show, but holy shit does it make you want to hide the razor blades this season. Ray turns a corner, is actually happy, he's being a good husband, and then he loses his wife. Early on I used to think that his dad would be the main antagonist of the series, but Jon Voight is acting his ass off as the super sad dad who has to watch his son be tortured.

I made the mistake of watching Rick and Morty before Ray Donovan. I should have done that in reverse so I would at least have something to laugh at. I still think Pickle Rick is my favorite episode because ultra weird R&M is my favorite, but the Vindicators episode was funny as hell and there were even parts of the Jerry episode that made me laugh really hard. 

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm all caught up on Rick and Morty and Ray Donovan. Man, Ray Donovan has never been a "happy" show, but holy shit does it make you want to hide the razor blades this season. Ray turns a corner, is actually happy, he's being a good husband, and then he loses his wife. Early on I used to think that his dad would be the main antagonist of the series, but Jon Voight is acting his ass off as the super sad dad who has to watch his son be tortured.

I'm really conflicted on this season of Ray.  I like it but the writing seems a little amateurish.  Any long term viewer of the show can understand the sad, awful reveal that Ray, just like his father did, is fucking around on his dying wife.  We really didn't need Terry bringing up Mickey's past indiscretions in a conversation earlier in the episode to remind us.  Just very clumsy, artless writing.  The whole issue with Mickey, Frank, and Avi was really unclear as well.  I was discussing it with a coworker and his best guess is that Avi stole drugs from the Russians and is using Frank's name in the underworld to vouch, but that's assuming a whole lot.  It feels like an undercooked plot idea that needed a few more minutes in the oven.

I also don't like the slow parceling out if information regarding what happened in the time jump.

All that said, I still like the show.  It's just a weird, uneven season so far.

That first episode of Dice, though?  Ugh.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I made the mistake of watching Rick and Morty before Ray Donovan. I should have done that in reverse so I would at least have something to laugh at. I still think Pickle Rick is my favorite episode because ultra weird R&M is my favorite, but the Vindicators episode was funny as hell and there were even parts of the Jerry episode that made me laugh really hard. 

Wasn't there an episode in the past two seasons where Rick did almost the exact same thing with the rat body and killing a bunch of enemies in violent fashion or was that scene in a preview for season 3? I'm so confused.

I don't recall anything similar to Pickle Rick's rat scene in previous eps, so I'm guessing you saw that in one of the trailers for season 3.

I didn't dig the Vindicators ep other than Rick going over-the-top dark and the gag at the end with Rick's feeling confession being heard by the wrong person.

After hearing about this week's ep (she doesn't watch the show), my wife wanted to know if I'd turn my body inside out for her.  She wasn't pleased when I responded "Not a chance.  That looks painful."

9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Wasn't there an episode in the past two seasons where Rick did almost the exact same thing with the rat body and killing a bunch of enemies in violent fashion or was that scene in a preview for season 3? I'm so confused.

They showed the animatic about twenty years ago as a preview for season 3. 

• Like 1