DVDVR Message Board

MLB - AUGUST 2017

RIPPA

45 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Mets have traded Jay Bruce to Cleveland for a minor leaguer. 

And a shit one at that. Apparently the Yankees offered significantly more but wouldn't pick up the entire remainder of his contract (about $5 million). And if we kept him and gave him a qualifying offer after the season we get no worse than a second round pick. The fucking cheap Wilponzis are at it again. Thanks Bud Selig for saving their ownership, when I go to Cooperstown I'll make sure to spit on your ill gotten plaque.

The QO is 18 million next year. I wouldn't dare offer Bruce that for fear he accepts.

And the Mets compensation would be in between the 2nd and 3rd round. It can't be higher than that.

EDIT - From trade rumors which explains it better than my not awake ass

Though New York will give up the chance to issue Bruce a qualifying offer, it’s not hard to see the reasoning here. The 30-year-old is a quality player, but a roughly $18MM salary — even for a single year — is no small amount. Plus, Bruce’s continuing presence with the Mets would’ve meant for an awkward outfield mix, as the team would’ve presumably bumped Michael Conforto into significant time in center. Instead, the Mets can utilize Conforto in right, pairing Juan Lagares with Brandon Nimmo or another player in center, while perhaps redirecting some of those resources. It’s worth bearing in mind, too, that the new CBA would only have given the Mets a pick after the second round if Bruce had declined the QO and signed elsewhere. Plus, it’s worth noting that the Mets will now have a cleaner path for the promotion of first base prospect Dominic Smith.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The QO is 18 million next year. I wouldn't dare offer Bruce that for fear he accepts.

And the Mets compensation would be in between the 2nd and 3rd round. It can't be higher than that.

EDIT - From trade rumors which explains it better than my not awake ass

Again it comes down to money. The Wilponzis are cheap fucks. Why do you think they turned down an offer from the Yankees that would've given us something of actual value? They weren't willing to pay all the rest of the $5 million left on his contract. Cleveland was, which is why we traded Bruce for a guy who will be in the Can Am league in about 2 years. Tim Tebow is a far better prospect than the guy they got. And I'd gladly pay the $18 million because next year when Cespedes inevitably gets hurt and we have no offense we will be fucked royally. 

11 hours ago, elizium said:

I kind of love some of those, the Astros especially.

I like some of them, too, though Houston might be the worst of them all (to me). The gray ones are all terrible. But most of the rest are pretty decent. 

I detest the idea of nicknames on the back though. 

I just heard the rant Mets radio voice Howie Rose went on about these ridiculous 8pm Sunday starts on ESPN. Howie is a New York treasure, good for him calling complete bullshit what it is.

On 8/9/2017 at 0:50 PM, ChesterCopperpot said:

Yowza

http://news.sportslogos.net/2017/08/09/like-a-rainbow-mlb-announces-bright-colourful-players-weekend/ - players can have nicknames on the back. Judge is going with All Rise

2017-MLB-PLAYERS-WEEKEND-UNIFORMS.jpg

I like some of those alternate colors and logos. I wish the Phils would actually use something like that (not a pullover), but with the number on front as well, like the 70s/80s uniforms. 

On 8/9/2017 at 4:00 PM, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Hopefully someone can set fire to those rags before they make it to the teams

Chris Sale will gladly take care of that for the Sox. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Jeffrey Loria has agreed to sell the Marlins to Derek Jeter.... and all the people he conned into putting more money into the team than him

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/08/jeffrey-loria-agrees-to-sell-marlins-to-derek-jeters-group.html

$1.2 Billion is the price

Only foul ball I ever caught was at a game my ex and I went to because we'd already bought the tickets before we'd broken up.  I, being a superstitious moron, saw this as some sort of sign, and we got back together for another year before he left me for someone who looked exactly like me, only 10 years younger.  

The ball was hit by Derek Jeter.  

What I'm saying is... I brought this on myself. 

• Haha 2

Note on Marlins sale

4:40pm: Current president David Samson and president of baseball ops Michael Hill are expected to retain their roles once the deal goes through, Jon Heyman of Fan Rag reports. Whether that’s intended mostly to be transitional or instead to be permanent isn’t immediately clear.

On 8/9/2017 at 6:44 AM, RIPPA said:

MLB suspended Joe West for 3 games for apparently saying in a SI interview that Adrian Beltre was the biggest complainer in the game.

The Umpire's Union is obviously pissed and even Beltre was "Umm... why the fuck was he suspended?"

It may well be true, but he has every right to say so. In further news,  Joey Votto refuses to eat his vegetables. What will the duration of his suspension be?