DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Those three were so great together.  Vince screwed up by not bringing in Mikey and the Minister in 01.  Imagine adding those two to the Regal/Tajiri combo.  

Last night I was watching the 4/15/2000 ep (where Taz wins the belt off Awesome). There's a locker room sequence with Mikey and the Minister. While Mikey plays cards on the floor, Jazz refuses to have sex with the Minister and storms off. Then Mikey sets the cards on fire, and they start laughing like maniacs. It goes on and on and on, like they've never heard of a funnier joke than burning cards. 

It's totally dumb. And wicked awesome. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Last night I was watching the 4/15/2000 ep (where Taz wins the belt off Awesome). There's a locker room sequence with Mikey and the Minister. While Mikey plays cards on the floor, Jazz refuses to have sex with the Minister and storms off. Then Mikey sets the cards on fire, and they start laughing like maniacs. It goes on and on and on, like they've never heard of a funnier joke than burning cards. 

It's totally dumb. And wicked awesome. 

"Totally dumb and wicked awesome" pretty much sums up ECW.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love how it was explained that his short time in WCW is what caused Mikey to lose his mind.

In order to lose something don't you first actually have to have it?

Mikey, Tajiri, and Vandenberg together is without exaggeration one of my favorite things ever in wrestling. I would have loved to have seen them in the WWF in 2001. They could have even expanded a little bit during the invasion and had someone like Rhyno or Awesome as the muscle, or played off Vandenbergs WCW stint and brought the Mortis gimmick back (though that would ultimately mean missing out on Alliance MVP Kanyon, which is a world I don't wanna live in). And great point @mattdangerously about the Regal/Tajiri combo-- Regal and the Minister going back and forth would have been great. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

In order to lose something don't you first actually have to have it?

which makes me think of the Cactus Jack/Raven promo where Jack has a line about it not being possible to have a meaningful conversation with Mikey any longer and how senile 40 y/o Mikey won't be funny

I was binge watching Brian Pillman, Cactus Jack, Raven, Sinister Minister, Mikey, and Tajiri promos last night/early this morning.

Are there any plans to bring Mick back to TV at some point? I mean, I'm as tired of all the authority figures as anyone, but he and Angle could have some really fun interactions. Last J heard, he had finally gotten hip surgery, which I know was making it difficult for him to travel.

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Mikey, Tajiri, and Vandenberg together is without exaggeration one of my favorite things ever in wrestling. I would have loved to have seen them in the WWF in 2001. They could have even expanded a little bit during the invasion and had someone like Rhyno or Awesome as the muscle, or played off Vandenbergs WCW stint and brought the Mortis gimmick back (though that would ultimately mean missing out on Alliance MVP Kanyon, which is a world I don't wanna live in). And great point @mattdangerously about the Regal/Tajiri combo-- Regal and the Minister going back and forth would have been great. 

They were so ridiculously over in 2000 it was amazing. The first night of the Hammerstein double-shot where they won the ECW tag titles was one of the biggest face pops I ever heard, and the following night when they dropped the straps to the FBI may have been the loudest suck heat.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

They were so ridiculously over in 2000 it was amazing. The first night of the Hammerstein double-shot where they won the ECW tag titles was one of the biggest face pops I ever heard, and the following night when they dropped the straps to the FBI may have been the loudest suck heat.

I was there both nights, so I can vouch for this. If night one was the highest of highs, then night two felt like the lowest of lows. The Unholy Alliance was a feel good story of late ECW, which didn't have a lot of them. Paul E. should have just run with them as champions until the end. I assume they would have gotten the titles back had ECW not gone under.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love how it was explained that his short time in WCW is what caused Mikey to lose his mind.

Best thing is Mikey snapped when WCW gave Evan Karagias the Cruiserweight belt. He called Heyman complaining and Heyman asked what if he can't rehire him. Mikey says he doesn't care and will go back to delivering pizza. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Victator said:

Best thing is Mikey snapped when WCW gave Evan Karagias the Cruiserweight belt. He called Heyman complaining and Heyman asked what if he can't rehire him. Mikey says he doesn't care and will go back to delivering pizza. 

Please tell me that's kayfabe. If it is, then it's awesome. 

If it's not, then Mikey was being a little baby. 

18 hours ago, Victator said:

She celebrated when George Zimmerman was acquitted, she is a bad person. 

Being a black wrestling fan is pretty much waiting for people that you are a fan of to let you down.

This is why I stay away from Twitter. I don't need to see Ricky Steamboat or Daniel Bryan tweeting that BLM are the real terrorists or some shit. I only have so much left to cling to here. 

And yeah, I know that if I didn't enjoy entertainers with shitty viewpoints, I'd never consume entertainment, but it's harder for me with pro wrestling because even though they're basically actors, the line between the actor and his or her part is so blurred that it's easy to get attached to wrestlers that you really like. 

Sometimes I think about wrestlers that have passed that I love and I'm thankful that at least I never truly have to know their views about this stuff. Like, if Rick Rude were alive in 2017, there is a decent chance that he would be tweeting some shit that I would hate, and that would ruin my love of WCW '92 on a number of levels. Fuckin' Twitter. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

It's a damn shame Brian Pillman didn't make it to the social media age. I would love to see the shit he would have put out there to work the smaaaart marks into a frenzy. I think it's time to go watch his ECW debut again.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Being a black wrestling fan is pretty much waiting for people that you are a fan of to let you down.

This is why I stay away from Twitter. I don't need to see Ricky Steamboat or Daniel Bryan tweeting that BLM are the real terrorists or some shit. I only have so much left to cling to here. 

And yeah, I know that if I didn't enjoy entertainers with shitty viewpoints, I'd never consume entertainment, but it's harder for me with pro wrestling because even though they're basically actors, the line between the actor and his or her part is so blurred that it's easy to get attached to wrestlers that you really like. 

Sometimes I think about wrestlers that have passed that I love and I'm thankful that at least I never truly have to know their views about this stuff. Like, if Rick Rude were alive in 2017, there is a decent chance that he would be tweeting some shit that I would hate, and that would ruin my love of WCW '92 on a number of levels. Fuckin' Twitter. 

It depends on the wrestler, thankfully they're not all like that.  I was never the biggest MVP fan but due to his Twitter posts I sure as shit appreciated the guy more.  And then there's those like Sami Zayn who I always liked but like a lot more due to him wanting to do good stuff in the world (his recent fundraising campaign for the Syrian Mobile Clinic is commendable)  While it doesn't help for those that are shitheads (fuck Randy Orton) at least there's those that are relatively level-headed.  I won't pretend to understand what anyone in that situation goes through, but like with anything else it's not all bad.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

These shows aren't on the network are they?  I checked and couldn't find anything that looked like it and the Hardcore TV for the dates doesn't look promising.  I've got them on VHS with no commentary around here somewhere but from what I remember those were really good cards that would be nice to enjoy in decent quality.

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Speaking of this, any update on the fucking Jim Breaks horror story?

...which has partially ruined my enjoyment of old-school WoS in large part because Breaks is one of my favorite five wrestlers ever. Please tell me that Catweazle hasn't been doing anything from killing family members to tweeting "FOREIGNERS OUT! #Brexit" lately. I can't take that, man.

There are wrestlers who I actually like after seeing people add tweets from them too, so Niko is right that having wrestlers on social media works both ways. 

But man, I already lost my ability to enjoy The Cosby Show and Gnarls Barkley albums over the last couple of years, so the last thing I need to do is to submit myself to greater disappointment by reading Twitter too much. 

16 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

These shows aren't on the network are they?  I checked and couldn't find anything that looked like it and the Hardcore TV for the dates doesn't look promising.  I've got them on VHS with no commentary around here somewhere but from what I remember those were really good cards that would be nice to enjoy in decent quality.

They're there. ECW Wrestling 54/55.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Speaking of this, any update on the fucking Jim Breaks horror story?

What I am able to piece together (after the initial arrest)

Cops brought him back to the scene of the crime to get his side of the story and he proceeded to brawl with the two cops walking him in.

He yelled at the media there "Why aren't any of you helping me?" (or something close to that)

His pants fell down during the scuffle which shouldn't make me laugh but here we are

He has been remanded in prison the entire time so folks believe that while the autopsy results haven't been revealed the judge clearly sees a link between them