DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

36 minutes ago, Victator said:

I had a second interview with Lanny Poffo of which the audio was messed up. 

Anyway he said he disliked how the Beverlys took liberties with job guys, but would not treat bigger stars that way.

Wrestling has always been littered with guys that take advantage of people that are weaker and/or lower than them on the totem pole. The same guys that treated me like shit  12-15 years ago either kiss my ass because I'm a promoter or don't mess with me because I pulled a knife on a promoter back in 2008...

• Like 1

You pulled a knife on yourself in 2008? What an angle that must have been. I assume you just used it to shave immediately after stabbing the promoter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The future was then! *remembers Rollins leaping off a basketball backboard in some crappy armory or gym or something for no reason once for IWA-MS*
hqdefault.jpg

6 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

As much as we all love Steiners destruction, there is so much gold during a short 93 RAW period where Headshrinkers were just outright murdering people.

This might be it, I don't know how he didn't die.  Heenan pretty much saying as much didn't help.  2:45.  The victim is PJ Walker and Vince calls him his partner's name.  Which Vince used to do a lot.

There's a match that Bret had with one of them on RAW from this period that was also rather brutal.

3 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Wrestling has always been littered with guys that take advantage of people that are weaker and/or lower than them on the totem pole. The same guys that treated me like shit  12-15 years ago either kiss my ass because I'm a promoter or don't mess with me because I pulled a knife on a promoter back in 2008...

Ok, you can't just put that out there and not elaborate. That's some Gary Hart shit right there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

ae425183b3a49712578d5810a7b05e08--barbers-.jpg

Shane McMahon

shane-mcmahon.jpg

Brutus Beefcake.

Shane O'Mac's a better wrestler as well ; )

I can't believe I'm not the only one who also noticed this. During Smackdown, they ran the clip of a flustered Shane putting on the ref shirt, and honest to god, my immediate thought was, "He looks just like current day Beefcake!"  

Creepy. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Ok, you can't just put that out there and not elaborate. That's some Gary Hart shit right there.

It was in Mackenzie: a small town on a shitty tour of the B.C. Interior, and everyone got too drunk and the promoter got too mouthy.  He said some things about my wife in the hopes I would shoot fight with him in the hotel...but I am not a shoot wrestler (and he was a multi-time BC Amateur Wrestling champion), I am a guy that used to carry a knife around. Luckily my friend was there to keep me sane, as I was pretty intent on gutting said promoter like a fish...and nobody else in the room was interested in stopping things from unfolding.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

It was in Mackenzie: a small town on a shitty tour of the B.C. Interior, and everyone got too drunk and the promoter got too mouthy.  He said some things about my wife in the hopes I would shoot fight with him in the hotel...but I am not a shoot wrestler (and he was a multi-time BC Amateur Wrestling champion), I am a guy that used to carry a knife around. Luckily my friend was there to keep me sane, as I was pretty intent on gutting said promoter like a fish...and nobody else in the room was interested in stopping things from unfolding.

So what you're saying is that Gary Hart didn't die and he's posting under this account? 

Jeebus man, that's nuts though. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are still scummy Indie promoters out there but a part of me is. I just would think that with the barriers of kayfabe being shattered and with the fact that any and every thing can now be reported in an instant, people would be more on the up and up than they were back in the day. Ah, pro wrestling, never change. 

1 minute ago, cwoy2j said:

So what you're saying is that Gary Hart didn't die and he's posting under this account? 

Jeebus man, that's nuts though. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are still scummy Indie promoters out there but a part of me is. I just would think that with the barriers of kayfabe being shattered and with the fact that any and every thing can now be reported in an instant, people would be more on the up and up than they were back in the day. Ah, pro wrestling, never change. 

"Scummy" is an overused term in pro wrestling and covers a lot of ground. The guy used to drink too much and believed he was some sort of gatekeeper between the old school and the new school. In British Columbia, the era of scummy promoters and gross backstage/after-party bullshit and general mistreatment of rookies is pretty much dead and gone. The scummiest thing any promoter does in B.C. is change dates in Vancouver to coincide with mine in Kelowna and keep his young kids from getting more matches per month.

5 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

"Scummy" is an overused term in pro wrestling and covers a lot of ground. The guy used to drink too much and believed he was some sort of gatekeeper between the old school and the new school. In British Columbia, the era of scummy promoters and gross backstage/after-party bullshit and general mistreatment of rookies is pretty much dead and gone. The scummiest thing any promoter does in B.C. is change dates in Vancouver to coincide with mine in Kelowna and keep his young kids from getting more matches per month.

That's good to hear. Always interesting to hear the contrast between the way things used to be done and the way they are now. Are crazy long cold van trips like the ones Bret, Edge, Christian, etc talked about still a thing on the Canadian circuit?

Just now, cwoy2j said:

That's good to hear. Always interesting to hear the contrast between the way things used to be done and the way they are now. Are crazy long cold van trips like the ones Bret, Edge, Christian, etc talked about still a thing on the Canadian circuit?

To be fair, most big Canadian cities outside of Ontario are all a lengthy drive apart. Traveling from Kelowna to Vancouver is at least 4 hours and that trip is brutal in winter; Albertan towns are a good 8-12 hours away and equally treacherous at least 6 months a year.  The big one Edge discussed is the Northern Hell tour, run by Tony Condello that traverses northern Manitoba Native reserves in February (because the only roads are really the frozen lakes), and that's still a thing every year. I had to cancel twice (2007 and 2009), and it's just not a thing I have the time to do anymore. I don't really like to travel beyond an hour or two out of town anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Sugar said:

To be fair, most big Canadian cities outside of Ontario are all a lengthy drive apart. Traveling from Kelowna to Vancouver is at least 4 hours and that trip is brutal in winter; Albertan towns are a good 8-12 hours away and equally treacherous at least 6 months a year.  The big one Edge discussed is the Northern Hell tour, run by Tony Condello that traverses northern Manitoba Native reserves in February (because the only roads are really the frozen lakes), and that's still a thing every year. I had to cancel twice (2007 and 2009), and it's just not a thing I have the time to do anymore. I don't really like to travel beyond an hour or two out of town anymore.

I read Bret's book and looked at a map of Canada to see if I could get a sense of how far they had to travel. It was pretty insane. I couldn't imagine wrestling one day, then either driving or riding that long and then having to perform almost immediately afterwards. Canada is f'n big.

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Probably why it seems like guys did not mind working in the Maritimes for Emil Dupree. 

JJ Dillon liked working the Maritimes b/c he made a good amount of money up there. I think the problem was that they could only run a summer season. You could make a lot of money for like 8 or 9 weeks but that's it.

4 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

I can only hope you looked at him and said "my friend, it appears you brought some amateur wrestling skills to a knife fight". 

• Haha 1

Just now, joseph2112 said:

I can only hope you looked at him and said "my, friend, it appears you brought some amateur wrestling skills to a knife fight". 

Nothing so cool and collected. I just said "if I kill him, nobody is going to care."

And my buddy said, "but think of your kids," and I put my knife away and we threw him out of the hotel room. Guy was so drunk he doesn't remember any of it. When he found out, months later, he did apologize.

• Like 1

The more broadly applicable moral is don't get so drunk you won't remember what you said.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Frozen Tundra Death Match. Two men leave, only one comes back; then, later, the other one comes back with some snow cones.

Welcome to Tundradome.

"Two men leave! One man enters!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Speaking of Canadian road trips. RHYNO...get the crackers!

Heath_trailer.0.jpg

I am now so pissed that this stroyline and team were not developed to the point where in every match Heath would yell RHYNO...GET THE CRACKERS and the crowd would scream it along with them while Rhyno set up their finisher: The DisPlEeze Whiz.

• Haha 2