DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

I may be wrong but if memory serves I think that tag match won MOTY in the Observer.

It was not. It was 5th

The Steiners vs Hase/Sasuke won

The Steiners were great. They got the best match out of Curtis Hughes that I've ever seen by a long, long way. 

I love intricately-structured tag matches and all, but I also love bomb-throwers, and the Steiners were the best bomb-throwers around. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

You're close--it won Match of the Year from Pro Wrestling Illustrated.

Possibly the Torch as well? They only really covered American wrestling so I'm thinking that match could've won their MOTY. Anyone know if that was the case?

I remember one of the Apter mags doing a feature around that time where they threw together random tag teams based on things like common signature moves. One of the pairings was Rick Steiner & Warrior because they both used clotheslines. Even back then, I realized how weak Warrior's wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man clothesline looked compared to the Steinerline.

Luger seems like one of those guys who made far more enemies than friends. He managed to piss off Vince, Bischoff, Flair and Dusty.  Without any vocal supporters he became a punching bag. 

Work-wise he just feels like a product of his time. Size and muscularity was king and he excelled. Yes, he coasted through the last decade of his career. I don't see how that makes him all that different than the rest of the late-90s wcw main event scene.  

48 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Even back then, I realized how weak Warrior's wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man clothesline looked compared to the Steinerline.

Yeah, but broadsiding someone with your car looks weak compared to the Steinerline.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Luger seems like one of those guys who made far more enemies than friends. He managed to piss off Vince, Bischoff, Flair and Dusty.  Without any vocal supporters he became a punching bag. 

Work-wise he just feels like a product of his time. Size and muscularity was king and he excelled. Yes, he coasted through the last decade of his career. I don't see how that makes him all that different than the rest of the late-90s wcw main event scene.  

I never heard anything of Flair and Dusty disliking him. Flair seems to think highly of him as a person. Dusty always pushed him high up the card. The thing seems to be Lex came across as aloof if you didn't know him well. Luger himself says he was very shy personally. 

Speaking of has anyone ever seen Scott Steiner away from the ring. He is really soft spoken and tenative. 

40 minutes ago, Victator said:

Speaking of has anyone ever seen Scott Steiner away from the ring. He is really soft spoken and tenative. 

"Scott Steiner as local restaurateur who was witness to an attempted murder" is my favorite example of Scott Steiner away from the ring. 

• Like 6

Here's my thought process reading the YouTube descriptor...

*Scott Steiner attempted murder ...

"Well, that's no surprise, I mean dude's always seemed a little unsta-"

... witness*

"OHHHHHHH."

• Like 4

I was watching a Hogan/Bossman match on The Network and it's a funny dynamic to watch in 2017. In 1989, it was just Hogan handcuffing the bad guy manager to the ropes while beating up the big nasty heel. In 2017, it's Hulk Hogan, who has been caught on tape throwing out racial slurs, handcuffing a black man, who is heavily implied to be a pimp, to the ropes and open hand slapping him. The redneck bully cop who is wearing a Confederate flag patch on his uniform tries to save the black pimp whom he takes orders from. The black pimp also manages another large white man who has racial identity issues.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Flair refused to drop the title to Luger in 89/90, so I believe there was some heat between the two at some point at least.

Luger says he understood why Flair refused to drop it to him in 90 and 91. It wasn't personal but business. In 90 Flair was waiting for Sting to heal to lose the title. In 91, Herd was trying to screw Flair on money 

Barry Windham holds more of a grudge on the business in 91. Flair was asked to drop it to Barry who would lose it to Lex. Being champion had been  dream for Barry.

Barry also felt Flair insulted everyone on the roster by taking it to the WWF. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I was watching a Hogan/Bossman match on The Network and it's a funny dynamic to watch in 2017. In 1989, it was just Hogan handcuffing the bad guy manager to the ropes while beating up the big nasty heel. In 2017, it's Hulk Hogan, who has been caught on tape throwing out racial slurs, handcuffing a black man, who is heavily implied to be a pimp, to the ropes and open hand slapping him. The redneck bully cop who is wearing a Confederate flag patch on his uniform tries to save the black pimp whom he takes orders from. The black pimp also manages another large white man who has racial identity issues.

Nothing in wrestling makes sense if you overthink it.  Or think about it at all, really.

• Like 2