DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Just now, odessasteps said:

I guess, as someone from the pre digital and pre cable era, who grew up watching grainy TV until going to college, i don't fussed over video quality. I'm happy to finally watch X (be it 80s wrestling or British tv shows or what have you) especially if it is for free and also not putting money in vince's pocket. 

But that's me. 

I'm with Mark on this. Part of my brain is wired to at least accept the idea that if you're getting rare footage, there's a very good chance that it's going to be less than pristine. Moreover, given the smoke and mirrors involved with wrestling, sometimes HD is more of a hindrance than a help. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I don't know why people who only watch old stuff would pay for the network when there is so much on YouTube or other places, including almost everything that IS on the network. 

Well the Network has things that are not at other places. Supporting the Network encourages WWE to do more with their library and upload stuff that has never been released. You also don't have to worry about it being taken down. I will say WWE is a lot cooler than other big media companies. 

I cancelled my network subscription because WWE is not doing anything to compensate past talent. That combined with them dragging ass on uploading stuff that was digitized years ago.

I keep mine mainly for NXT and if I'm up for a bit of old school wrestling.  The network specials don't mean much to me save for the big 4, but for $10 it's not a bad deal.

There is something that makes me nostalgic about watching old stuff on Youtube.  Monsoon Classic having tons of the syndicated shows takes me back to a more innocent time.  Now if I find localized promos I'd be way over the moon, they had some good stuff in those.

• Like 1

On the Karen/Strowman talk:

Karen Jarrett downplayed the reports on today's conference call. She said, “Oh my goodness, I can clear the air. It was a silly incident where two people in the wrestling business were playing their characters – being silly and it got blown way out of proportion. The fact that it’s still in the news and it’s still being talked about, that’s a question that you took the time to ask I think is hysterical.” She added, “It’s silliness. It’s the wrestling business, we had fun with it and somebody took it and turned it into something more than it was.

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Will David apologize to me now or later?

I think he'll put a restraining order out instead. You are aware he wasn't the only one to report it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ace said:

I think he'll put a restraining order out instead. You are aware he wasn't the only one to report it?

Perhaps I should go into more detail. But I politely asked him about it Monday but he was a condescending ass to me.  Which I am sure you can relate to, as I did nothing to you. But you still decided to attack me. 

3 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Apparently today is the 25th anniversary of Ron Simmons winning the world title. That's ridiculous. The kid at the end is still my favorite part of the win... 

This didn't have the part with the dude in the front row crying with joy, which is my favorite thing about the win. 

• Like 1

Anyway...

It's weird, I've never been a big Cena fan until he moved to SDL. I thought since his move there and the feud with Ambrose and Styles he was better than ever. So now I'm bummed that he's going to do a pretty shitty movie.

I can't be the only one disappointed that we might not see Cena in a title match at WM. Strange words to type out, but there they are.