DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Also most likely now not to happen is the U.K. Tv show.

Dave said the tournament "cost a fortune" so it's doubtful they will do the show.

Which is another reason you will see more and more of Pete Dunne defending on U.K. Promotion friendly with WWE (i.e. Him defending against Jack Gallagher on the PROGRESS show here in the states)

If anything I think defending the UK title for WWE-friendly promotions is the right way to go with it anyway.  It gives that traveling champion vibe to the title holder.  It looks great for whichever promotion does the matches and more importantly it makes WWE and its title holder look like a million bucks for taking on all contenders.

And now I just realized it's July and the supposedly done deal with WWE and ICW, Progress, etc. still isn't done or rather, those shows still aren't on the Network. I totally forgot until the posts above.

Not that I'm clamouring for them, but what happened to the Goldust/R-Truth feud? They had some back and forth promo vignettes, had a match (or two?) and now they're not even on TV. So what was the point if neither of them got a boost from it?

So the history of WWE's foray into the UK is:

1. Start hot with a tournament and big plans for TV, local touring, the works
  2. Meltzer tells the world the sky is falling and the UK scene will die off like the territories
  3. One TV special
  4. Hit a down period and realize this shit is too expensive to do 
  5. Scale back to just the WWE UK champion defending on UK indies
  6. Title is eventually forgotten and never mentioned again outside of DVDVR posts a few years from now, "remember when WWE created a UK promotion?  Or did I imagine that?"

Business really is "out of sight, out of mind" and I always figured, economic downturn or not, that Vince would lose interest in a far-flung territory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, in that case what's the harm in advertising that a WWE guest is going to be on one of their shows?  Surely when Bayley was on Stone Cold's they could have mentioned in her match that she'll be on there. 

The easy answer here is because it doesn't make them any money - Austin's podcasts are a separate revenue stream that WWE doesn't see anything from. It's why the podcasts are "The Steve Austin Show" and the network specials are the "Stone Cold Podcast." They could be utilizing the 10 seconds that it would take to plug a podcast to show a replay for the millionth time or whatever dumb shit they would do.

5 minutes ago, Infinit said:

So according to my Instagram creeping, Emma and Zach Ryder broke up and now he's with the crazy chick on Impact that does the besmirched bride gimmick.

That has been at least 6 months. Get with the times!

Actually that reminds me of the amusing time Meltzer brought up Ryder and Emma dating (I think it was when Ryder returned) and everyone was quick to correct him and Dave was all "Sorry I can't keep up with who is dating who" which lead me to internally debate if it actually was Dave's job to keep track of it.

Then I hated myself more than I usually do

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

So the history of WWE's foray into the UK is:

1. Start hot with a tournament and big plans for TV, local touring, the works
  2. Meltzer tells the world the sky is falling and the UK scene will die off like the territories
  3. One TV special
  4.   Hit a down period and realize this shit is too expensive to do Vince meets Tyler Bates and goes "but he's so tiny!!"
  5.   Scale back to just the WWE UK champion defending on UK indies. 
  6. Title is eventually forgotten and never mentioned again outside of DVDVR posts a few years from now, "remember when WWE created a UK promotion?  Or did I imagine that?"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Austin is diplomatic when discussing his relationship with WWE. Maybe he's too busy or the money isn't good enough for him to bounce around to wherever Raw is. But there's no reason the interviews need to be live. Park him in Stamford for a week let him bang out a bunch.

Or hell, Fedex a couple cameras and mics and lights to his house in LA. Not like you can't get camera crews and tech people there.

Sometimes I have to admit - I love the stupid beauty of this fucking place

Nothing like a guy basically creating an account to get his tapes from Scott Mailman and then not returning for almost 4 years

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Sometimes I have to admit - I love the stupid beauty of this fucking place

Nothing like a guy basically creating an account to get his tapes from Scott Mailman and then not returning for almost 4 years

I guess this was supposed to be a tweet, but it's not working.

6 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I guess this was supposed to be a tweet, but it's not working.

Its a link to an old board post so I am not sure why it wouldn't be working for you

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Its a link to an old board post so I am not sure why it wouldn't be working for you

Try using BlueBoh theme and you'll see what I mean.  Gives Fatal Error message with the code.  I changed themes and I see it.

It seems BlueBoh, CaliRed and Black Chrome won't allow me to see it, all others are fine.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Doesn't surprise me - those were all themes designed specifically for the last version of the board.

Might need to delete and start over

Aw, but BlueBoh was my favorite one of the bunch.  Guess I'll have to pick another one if you need to redo it.