DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I don't think a stakes-free six man tag is getting you to 10,000. I do think it's possible with some combination of Bryan, Punk, and New Japan guys, however. 

Since this is an insane future hypothetical anyway, allow me to suggest a double main of:

Cody vs Danielson, ROH title

Omega/Ibushi (back together by next year) vs Young Bucks, ROH tag titles 

Okada, Naito, and Punk show up and do tag stuff too.

Other undercard stuff:

MiSu leads a sing along of kaze ni nare. EVIL fights Adam Cole's ghost. Marty finally, actually breaks Ospreay's finger. Kojima serves the entire audience breadsticks.

Getting there, I think.

I think people (Cody in particular) aren't taking into account that the reason WWE can get 10K fans (and even they struggle at times to fill their PPVs) is that to many fans, WWE = Wrestling. Look at TNA - over the years they had Flair, Sting, Foley, Angle, Hogan, Nash, Joe, Styles... and their biggest attendance was 7,200. 10K is a whole lot of damn wrestling fans in one place. ROH over the years has used Tanahashi, Okada, etc. and their highest attendance ever was 3,500 so they'd have to almost triple it. As pointed out, even Hogan vs. Giant only had 1/4 of that.

Point of my story - I don't think any combination of wrestlers could get 10K in the US outside of WWE. I could see an argument for CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan in Chicago in both of their first matches in years, but that's literally it. The undercard wouldn't really matter, it would just be about a killer must see main event that was so big it wasn't just talked about on wrestling forums and reddit. No other combination of New Japan wrestlers or Omega has ever come close before, an indie "dream card" is still off the grid for the vast majority of wrestling fans.

• Thanks 1

As I said the other day, I think the best chance in the US is either something during Mania Week that is a giant dream card show OR some kind of Lucha mega show in Los Angeles that markets to the Hispanic audience and not (only) to wrestling fans. Haven't there been shows in places like Atlanta where Lucia shows have drawn 4-5,000? (Get zellner on the bat phone) 

would it be cheating if you had a show the same time as a comic con type convention like Wrestlecom? 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

When talk of ROH selling out a large arena  becomes talk of outside talents they can bring in,  it's not really much of a discussion. 

Why?  Aren't some of the biggest WrestleManias ever due in part to the outside talent they brought in?

3 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Why?  Aren't some of the biggest WrestleManias ever due in part to the outside talent they brought in?

Because its a different discussion. It becomes a discussion of how much you could draw if you put together the best non-WWE card in the best drawing market for it. It is an interesting discussion.  I don't know that Cody would even be on that show. 

I agree that WWE has no problems bringing in outside talent but at the end of the day it is still a WWE show. How many ROH talents would be on this ROH supershow?

If you got Punk and Bryan involved in the main event and held the show in Chicago, Sinclair would still have to spend a ton of money on advertising to draw 10,000 people. I think it's possible to do but you'd have to announce the show pretty far out ahead of time and then bombard the city you are holding the show in with billboards and radio ads and television spots and local appearances from the wrestlers and just be all over the place locally. And everything on TV would have to build to the card for months to make it feel like a HUGE show and draw PPV buys. The show and lead up would have to be booked almost damn near perfectly to draw 10,000 people.

Just now, JohnnyJ said:

Because its a different discussion. It becomes a discussion of how much you could draw if you put together the best non-WWE card in the best drawing market for it. It is an interesting discussion.  I don't know that Cody would even be on that show. 

I agree that WWE has no problems bringing in outside talent but at the end of the day it is still a WWE show. How many ROH talents would be on this ROH supershow?

Oh, I got you.  Misunderstood what you were saying.

1 minute ago, Web Conn said:

Sinclair would have to spend a ton of money on advertising to draw 10,000 people.

Well, that ends that discussion.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

At the risk of interrupting all the fantasy booking of things that will absolutely never happen in a million years, does anyone know if Janetty ended up fucking his not-daughter?  I'm morbidly curious.

I just kind of assume he did because he's Marty Jannetty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

No. Generally, the bulk of WM tix are sold months before the card is even announced.