DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

They would realistically need Bryan to be released and convince Punk to make an appearance in some capacity.  Hope NXT cuts half their roster and then book whatever dream matches they could.  

MLW has done more to get me interested in their return than ROH has done in years. The Richochet / Strickland 24/7 style video was pretty great.

I think the biggest show they ever did was 3500 WM weekend this past year. And according to wrestlingdata there have only been two US Indies to draw over 10G ever and one of the shows was in China. 

Could somebody get a hold of Cody and see if I could get some action on this?

I can't imagine the dream matches they could book that could feasibly draw anything close to 10k.   Sure, booking Punk or Bryan would draw people, but who is out there that you could book them against to draw on that level.  Most of the dream matches people wanted to see Bryan and Punk in have already been done a buncha times during the ROH/IWA MS/PWG heyday or aren't going to happen due to one party or the other working for WWE or whoever. (I mention IWA MS cause they ran an awful lot of "indy dream matches during the early-mid 2000's.  Stuff like Punk-AJ).  

For me, anyway, there's probably not anyone on the current indy scene that is a mega-opponent for Punk or Bryan.  No one on the level of Joe/Punk/AJ/Bryan, I mean.  Honestly, I don't think you could do 10,0000 if ROH signed Bryan, Punk, AJ, Joe, and Cena tomorrow.  Although I perversely want to see Cena disombobulate himself trying to keep up with Ricochet  in PWG.

Could a combined NJPW/ROH show on US soil draw 10k?  I mean, if NJ sent the heavy hitters and loaded the card with Ishii, Okada, Tanahashi, Omega, etc. instead of just sending over a guy or two at a time?  i'd certainly be more likely to pay  to see that, but then it'll be maddening when Tanahashi jobs to one of the Kingdom.

That indie show in Memphis with Hogan vs Big Show only drew 2,200. They were handicapped by WWE pulling Lawler and a few others, but it was still a show built around Hulk Hogan shortly after he'd last been on WWE television and at the height of Hogan Knows Best. 

8 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Could a combined NJPW/ROH show on US soil draw 10k?  I mean, if NJ sent the heavy hitters and loaded the card with Ishii, Okada, Tanahashi, Omega, etc. instead of just sending over a guy or two at a time?  i'd certainly be more likely to pay  to see that, but then it'll be maddening when Tanahashi jobs to one of the Kingdom.

Do you really think that would happen? It's been firmly established that ROH is New Japan's bitch in their current working relationship.

• Like 2

Isn't it a problem though that a one-time wrestling match with no storyline or storyline implications would have a hard time selling beyond a really tiny hardcore base?

Without it mattering "who wins" in wrestling storyline terms it really doesn't matter at all then since everyone knows it's a work. Therefore the only selling point is the quality of the match. And, boy, now you're down to a tiny tiny minority of people who would travel for that.

But then in order to have a storyline you have to have both of them making prior wrestling appearances, and there goes the whole "see them work for the first/last time" part of it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I can't imagine the dream matches they could book that could feasibly draw anything close to 10k.   Sure, booking Punk or Bryan would draw people, but who is out there that you could book them against to draw on that level.  Most of the dream matches people wanted to see Bryan and Punk in have already been done a buncha times during the ROH/IWA MS/PWG heyday or aren't going to happen due to one party or the other working for WWE or whoever. (I mention IWA MS cause they ran an awful lot of "indy dream matches during the early-mid 2000's.  Stuff like Punk-AJ).  

Depends. I think a combined New Japan/ROH show on US soil could have a chance at 10k, but again:

1- You'd need to do it in a smark haven (New York/Philly or Chicago),

2- You'd have to do whatever it takes to get New Japan to let ROH run Okada vs. Omega on that card.

Do those two things, and you could at least stand a chance of filling a 10k arena.

Bryan vs Omega as the main event I think could draw 10,000. But they would have to stack the undercard. ROH needs to fill out their roster. Sinclair needs to loosen up the purse strings and sign some more people. Get some up and coming under the radar guys, some rising Indy stars and some names.

26 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Bryan vs Omega as the main event I think could draw 10,000. But they would have to stack the undercard. ROH needs to fill out their roster. Sinclair needs to loosen up the purse strings and sign some more people. Get some up and coming under the radar guys, some rising Indy stars and some names.

I'd go wih Punk vs. Omega.  Actually, Bryan vs. Omega was done in PWG = albeit in 2009 when Kenny wasn't very well known.  Kenny and DBry also faced each other in three-ways in ROH.

I still don't think Punk vs. Omega or Bryan vs. Omega gets you 10k even with a stacked NJPW undercard.

I doubt the fact that they had a couple matches a decade ago when Omega was just a guy would diminish the hype for Omega/Danielson in 2018 or 2019.  Even Danielson is 10x bigger now than he was then, as it was well before the Yes stuff took off.  That would be a fresh match for most people.

I can't decide if Omega/Danielson would be a good or bad thing for Danielson's health.  Omega would be more than willing and able to kill himself bumping spectacularly so Bryan could take it easy, but knowing Bryan, he might feel obligated to keep up.

Omega and Bryan vs Cody and Punk is the only way an Indy show headlined by a main event involving Cody is going to draw 10,000. I'm not knocking Cody, I like him more than most in this board but I'm just being realistic.

• Like 2

If you need a strong co-main event, have Christopher Daniels announce his retirement match.  It's pretty well known his career is winding down and this would be as good a hypothetical venue as any.  Give Low Ki whatever he wants so hopefully he doesn't no-show and have him be Daniels final opponent.