DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

53 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

In 2017, it's Hulk Hogan, who has been caught on tape throwing out racial slurs, handcuffing a black man, who is heavily implied to be a pimp, to the ropes and open hand slapping him. The redneck bully cop who is wearing a Confederate flag patch on his uniform tries to save the black pimp whom he takes orders from. The black pimp also manages another large white man who has racial identity issues.

This sounds like a great script for a John Singleton movie!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Nothing in wrestling makes sense if you overthink it.  Or think about it at all, really.

Why does Sting keep trusting Ric Flair?! Why do people keep insisting on swinging at John Cena after he does 3 shoulder blocks to them?

Just go with it dammit!

47 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Why does Sting keep trusting Ric Flair?! Why do people keep insisting on swinging at John Cena after he does 3 shoulder blocks to them?

Just go with it dammit!

Why did Kidman's opponents keep trying to powerbomb him, especially those that never used a powerbomb? 

Why did Rey's opponents sit and wait for the 619?

Some questions have no answers.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Quick question: do you guys know if Wal Mart or 7 Eleven still sells the prepaid WWE Network cards?

Target does, at least, I saw them last month while buying a PS4 controller. I assume the Sev still has them too. 

• Like 1

Hogan Justice Warrior would have been great as a stable involving Hogan, Sid, and Warrior, three men forming an uneasy alliance after the Heenan Family, Harvey Whippleman's crew, and Jimmy Hart's crew agree to what they call the Unholy Alliance to wipe out all of their enemies. Oh, and what makes their alliance "unholy" is that they recruit Paul Bearer and The Undertaker to their cause as well. 

Just imagine Vince's intro to the 1991 Survivor Series!

TEAM CAPTAINS HULK HOGAN AND THE UNNNNNNNNNDERTAKER TEAM UP WITH THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR, KAMALA, SID JUSTICE, PAPA SHANNNNGO, MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE, AND THE NATURE BOY RIC FLAIR...IT'S THE UNHOLY ALLIANCE VERSUS HJW!

IT'S THE SURVIIIIIVOR SERIES!

I wouldn't mind visiting the alternate universe where that happened to watch that match on YouTube.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why did Kidman's opponents keep trying to powerbomb him, especially those that never used a powerbomb? 

Why did Rey's opponents sit and wait for the 619?

Some questions have no answers.

Power Bomb is an effective move and Kidman's facebuster rarely lead to losses. Watching way too much WCW, it was like a 40/60 success rate. 

They were stunned by the fall on the rope. 

Sting only really trusted Flair once. In 95 he refused to team with him multiple times until Flair used kids. Sting still did not trust Flair and vowed to beat Flair senseless if he betrayed him. Which he ended up doing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Victator said:

Power Bomb is an effective move and Kidman's facebuster rarely lead to losses. Watching way too much WCW, it was like a 40/60 success rate. 

They were stunned by the fall on the rope. 

Sting only really trusted Flair once. In 95 he refused to team with him multiple times until Flair used kids. Sting still did not trust Flair and vowed to beat Flair senseless if he betrayed him. Which he ended up doing. 

Why did Hulk Hogan's opponents punch him 3 times after he kicked out of their finisher? Just bail out of the ring and take a powder when he's having his seizure of strength!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Why did Hulk Hogan's opponents punch him 3 times after he kicked out of their finisher? Just bail out of the ring and take a powder when he's having his seizure of strength!

They are freaking out. They just took their best shot and this giant dude is now enraged. Its like the crook throwing his gun at Superman. Though some heels did get out during an early Hulk Up. 

Also bear in mind a lot of Hulk's foes were large men. So running was not an option. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 8:55 AM, Victator said:

Luger says he understood why Flair refused to drop it to him in 90 and 91. It wasn't personal but business. In 90 Flair was waiting for Sting to heal to lose the title. In 91, Herd was trying to screw Flair on money 

Barry Windham holds more of a grudge on the business in 91. Flair was asked to drop it to Barry who would lose it to Lex. Being champion had been  dream for Barry.

Barry also felt Flair insulted everyone on the roster by taking it to the WWF. 

According to Arn, Barry Windham was just happy to have a fast car and a pretty woman. I love Barry Windham, he and Steamboat were my two favorites as a kid. That said, he wasted his talent.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

According to Arn, Barry Windham was just happy to have a fast car and a pretty woman. I love Barry Windham, he and Steamboat were my two favorites as a kid. That said, he wasted his talent.

I think Arn's quote was "as long as he had $10 grand in the bank and a Corvette, Barry was happy." Can't fault him for that.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

This was on the Barry shoot. He loves Flair but this was a sore point. If you watch the Clash where Flair and Arn took on Austin and Pillman. Barry ended up attacking Flair and cut the best promo of his career. Saying Flair disgraced that belt once and he would be damned if it happened again. 

7 hours ago, Adam said:

It could also be explained along the lines of 'Well those other guys couldn't stop him hulking up, but I know that I CAN!!' before of course not.

Some of the later pre 89 Savage and Bundy matches involved them trying to work around the Hulk Up. But the problem was if you don't go for the kill, Hulk is still a big strong wrestler. Go for the kill and he accesses the Hulk Up. 

5 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Did anyone ever just try kicking him in the dick?

I still remember Rumble 94 - Bigelow/Tatanka, Tatanka started doing his war dance/hulk up, Bigelow just shrugged and enziguiri'd him in the back of the head. It was glorious.

Bam Bam was awesome.

• Like 1