DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, Valcourt said:

Well, now that I think of it, maybe it was Scott Keith related and not here?

Is Scott Keith still doing his thing?

Yeah.  Keith has his own site (blogfdoom) and writes stuff for The Sporting News.  Further proof that The Sporting News is dead and doesn't know it.  

Until now I had no idea Scaia still runs Online Onslaught.

I have no desire to visit any of those places but feel free to see if they still bring the dumb.

14 minutes ago, EdA said:

Yeah.  Keith has his own site (blogfdoom) and writes stuff for The Sporting News.  Further proof that The Sporting News is dead and doesn't know it.  

Until now I had no idea Scaia still runs Online Onslaught.

I have no desire to visit any of those places but feel free to see if they still bring the dumb.

Just a quick look makes it seem like it's been almost exactly a year since he stopped.   Who was the other guy who used to write with him, the one who got disbarred in Florida, I think?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Just a quick look makes it seem like it's been almost exactly a year since he stopped.   Who was the other guy who used to write with him, the one who got disbarred in Florida, I think?  

Micasa?

Yeah.  Here's a thread at CRZ's board about Micasa getting disbarred - http://the-w.com/t/41875

• Like 3

Two blurb updates from the newest WON re: stories we talked about previously

While everything with the Hardys and GFW looks to be dead, there was one issue this week. Impact Wrestling, publicly on twitter, wrote to Jimmy’s Famous Seafood restaurant, which does business with a lot of wrestlers in WWE including the Hardys and Strowman, and wrote, “Would love to talk to you guys about some potential partnership opportunities. Please let us know. The restaurant, owned by Demetrios “Jimmy” Minadakis, then wrote them back, “When you release the Broken Hardy rights, we will set up a call.” The restaurant’s twitter went after me for reporting the Karen Jarrett/Braun Strowman story, which was humorous, claiming it was all made up by Jeff Jarrett, which is so far from off base it’s not even funny, since multiple people have confirmed it and everyone in wrestling has known the story for weeks. Jimmy’s prepares meals for Strowman which explains their loyalty

Sports Illustrated also reported more on Enzo and his issues. It should be noted, like with the Mauro Ranallo situation, that when WWE talked about all the heat Enzo had with the locker room and acknowledged him being kicked off the tour bus a few months ago, that “Bring it to the Table,” is planned out in advance. It’s not scripted word-for-word like a television interview, but the subjects are chosen in advance, they know the direction they are going and Kevin Dunn oversees and approves everything on the show. So everything they talked about was approved by management, which was also the key in the Ranallo thing in that it was management, not JBL, which approved of the knocking him, although obviously JBL as his broadcast partner could have said no, just like Graves and JBL could have said no, but that’s rarely going to happen. They reported that Enzo had heat also for bringing “questionable guests” into the locker room and was filming and taking photos of wrestlers (I guess without asking them) and that he should not have done that. He also said that Amore has been venturing into the music business

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

While everything with the Hardys and GFW looks to be dead, there was one issue this week. Impact Wrestling, publicly on twitter, wrote to Jimmy’s Famous Seafood restaurant, which does business with a lot of wrestlers in WWE including the Hardys and Strowman, and wrote, “Would love to talk to you guys about some potential partnership opportunities. Please let us know. The restaurant, owned by Demetrios “Jimmy” Minadakis, then wrote them back, “When you release the Broken Hardy rights, we will set up a call.” The restaurant’s twitter went after me for reporting the Karen Jarrett/Braun Strowman story, which was humorous, claiming it was all made up by Jeff Jarrett, which is so far from off base it’s not even funny, since multiple people have confirmed it and everyone in wrestling has known the story for weeks. Jimmy’s prepares meals for Strowman which explains their loyalty

What in the shit?!  I'm on the one hand pleased to see place a mile from me mentioned in the Observer.  Yet at the same time considering the owner's a homophobic dingbat I'm saddened because now he'll even feel more "famous".  I wish that place was garbage so I can quit going there altogether, but they sure have a damn good spot upstairs for wrestling events (food and beer selection are pretty good too)  But if anything I'll think twice before talking to him again.

As for the issue being dead between Hardys and GFW, I thought they were still talking as of a couple weeks ago.  If that's the case then Matt's better off stopping with anything related to it and move on.

45 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Jimmy’s prepares meals for Strowman which explains their loyalty

Well of course they're loyal to WWE and Braun.  One Braun meal pays 3 Jimmy's employees' salaries for a month.

46 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

and Kevin Dunn oversees and approves everything on the show. So everything they talked about was approved by management, which was also the key in the Ranallo thing in that it was management, not JBL, which approved of the knocking him

Kevin Dunn is the gross little nerd sidekick to the bully that you see in teen movies -- emboldened by proximity to the bully and just happy he's not the target for once.

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Well of course they're loyal to WWE and Braun.  One Braun meal pays 3 Jimmy's employees' salaries for a month.

I don't know if you remember this, but months ago Roman swung by and had the 7 lb lobster.  Don't believe he finished it since he was passing it around to people, but for Braun that would be his afternoon snack.

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Meltzer doubling down on the Karen/Braun stuff makes him look like such a shithead. EVERYONE IN WRESTLING KNOWS THE STORY SO IT'S 100% TRUE.

And its that David can't comprehend why people find the story difficult to believe. Like he is reporting a PPV buyrate. He is such a condescending ass to anyone who disagrees with him. 

Enzo is quietly moving his way up the "all time burial" list. He gets squashed in every match with Cass, and even when Show helps him, Enzo still gets booted unconscious every week. It's different than the usual WWE MO of making guys looks bad with horrible one-time gimmick matches or stale, out-of-touch writing. They're really going out of their way to make Enzo look like shit.

Technically, PPV buyrates are a lot more speculative early on than a bunch of people confirming something to a reporter they saw so actually these are deals to double down on

I mean, you come at a reporter with 'fake news' complaints and you'll probably hit a nerve.

34 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Technically, PPV buyrates are a lot more speculative early on than a bunch of people confirming something to a reporter they saw so actually these are deals to double down on

I mean, you come at a reporter with 'fake news' complaints and you'll probably hit a nerve.

A flat-out ridiculous story that is clearly very exaggerated even if there is a degree of truth to it, where the "sources" are carnies that have repeatedly gone out of their way to trick the journalist? Hardly ironclad.

"Everyone in wrestling has known the story for weeks" being a go-to defense for a journalist is also laughable. "It happened because people heard about it (because I reported it as a fact)."

• Like 1

By the time the Hardys get the rights to the gimmick - if they get the rights to the gimmick - they're going to have cooled off so much that it won't matter.  Maybe they can resurrect  the gimmick and get the sort of responses they could have gotten if they had come in at WM with the Broken characters - but it seems more likely its time will have passed and WWE Creative won't be able to reignite it. Hardys themselves seem a lot less pushed than they did a few months ago.  

I get that Matt feels like he's in the right on principle - and he's probably is, for the most part - but no one had anything to gain from a protracted fight over who owns the rights to the characters.  The smart thing to do would have been to cut a deal the Hardys could live with and get back to making money.  That goes for Vince too.  I imagine the WWE would have merchandised the shit out of the Broken characters.

The least surprising part of the story is the owner of the restaurant being Greek. My biological father, who is a cook, said to me several times that he wanted to open a restaurant with me. I had no interest and I don't particularly like to cook. Even so, all Greeks know each other and are somehow connected to the Diner Mafia.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

A flat-out ridiculous story that is clearly very exaggerated even if there is a degree of truth to it, where the "sources" are carnies that have repeatedly gone out of their way to trick the journalist? Hardly ironclad.

"Everyone in wrestling has known the story for weeks" being a go-to defense for a journalist is also laughable. "It happened because people heard about it (because I reported it as a fact)."

I mean, Karen confirmed that something happened but just said it was overblown. So, basically everyone is jumping on Meltzer for 1) reporting a story that one side confirmed 2) reporting multiple eyewitness accounts that interpreted the story a certain way. Interpretations are in the eye of the beholder, of course and ten people can have their own version of the truth they saw. 

This isn't exactly James Frey writing "A Million Little Pieces."

And I love this new thing of "can't believe Dave because Dave gets WORKED BY THE BOYS" followed by "Well, the boys said this so Dave is clearly full of shit. You gotta believe  the boys."

It can't be both ways. 

From Karen

“It was a silly incident where you’ve got two people in the wrestling business playing their characters being silly and it got blown way out of proportion.” Adding, “It’s the wrestling business. We had fun with it and somebody took it and turned it into something more than what it was.”

So, Karen admits there was an altercation but says they were just working an angle at the bar for some reason. Okay, fine. I mean...weird. Really, fucking weird. But absolutely in no way refutes what was reported. If you think that Karen Jarrett and Braun Strowman, who presumably don't know each other, had some sort of incident at a bar that resulted in them going into worker mode and cutting promos on each other for the amusement of the patrons then great. The easier to believe rationale is that they were both drunk assholes. I'm sure it was smoothed over immediately but this is a weird story for people to get so defensive about.  

• Like 3

He should have played along to find out what the partnership opportunity would be. I haven't heard a deal from GFW that wasn't "i'm walking away from the table never to return bad."

"So, we'll plug your restaurant on our highly-rated tv show and in exchange, all your dinner bookings will be run through our nashville office.  We'll take 15% of the gross receipts for our efforts, and own all of your restaurants intellectual property."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I mean, Karen confirmed that something happened but just said it was overblown. So, basically everyone is jumping on Meltzer for 1) reporting a story that one side confirmed 2) reporting multiple eyewitness accounts that interpreted the story a certain way. Interpretations are in the eye of the beholder, of course and ten people can have their own version of the truth they saw. 

This isn't exactly James Frey writing "A Million Little Pieces."

And I love this new thing of "can't believe Dave because Dave gets WORKED BY THE BOYS" followed by "Well, the boys said this so Dave is clearly full of shit. You gotta believe  the boys."

It can't be both ways. 

From Karen

So, Karen admits there was an altercation but says they were just working an angle at the bar for some reason. Okay, fine. I mean...weird. Really, fucking weird. But absolutely in no way refutes what was reported. If you think that Karen Jarrett and Braun Strowman, who presumably don't know each other, had some sort of incident at a bar that resulted in them going into worker mode and cutting promos on each other for the amusement of the patrons then great. The easier to believe rationale is that they were both drunk assholes. I'm sure it was smoothed over immediately but this is a weird story for people to get so defensive about.  

Wrestlers are clannish, weird people with severe ego problems? Nah, I can't believe that! STOP MAKING STUFF UP DOUBLE-TALK DAVE, YOU CAN'T WORK ME!

By Karen saying they had fun with it, I assume they realized how ridiculous it was, probably had some of the other boys around, and overplayed their reactions because fuck it, it's funny.  You have no idea how far the boys will go to entertain themselves in any way possible.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

What in the shit?!  I'm on the one hand pleased to see place a mile from me mentioned in the Observer.  Yet at the same time considering the owner's a homophobic dingbat I'm saddened because now he'll even feel more "famous".  I wish that place was garbage so I can quit going there altogether, but they sure have a damn good spot upstairs for wrestling events (food and beer selection are pretty good too)  But if anything I'll think twice before talking to him again.

Homophobic? Oh man, now I gotta scratch Jimmy's off of the list smh lol 

• Like 1

Again nobody is calling him a liar. Its the idea he thinks this is the most mundane story in the world. That it does not sound off that a grown adult would get on their knees and beg someone publically. 

He could give a "I know this sounds strange." which would go a long way. Instead he does the same asshole Dave replies and when cornered gives no answer at all. 

So a few months ago, David was bashing Lex Luger. Doing the usual Luger was never good and was only carried to good matches talking point. Now I don't know how many of you read old issues. But he regularly praised Luger as always improving and not just being carried. Instead of conceding that, he just no sells it. 

I can't completely blame him for turning into this. Dealing with TNA fans and Vince Russo sycophants would probably break anyone. But his current attitude is not doing him any favors. 

Has he ever publicly admitted he was wrong on anything?

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Some days I make terrible mistakes

Today was one of them

Its just a discussion. These things happen on forums. 

• Like 1